Harmonic balancer

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
The rubber on my harmonic balancer is starting to crack and I would like to replace it with something better. I was thinking of the march 1158 or 1176. I am not sure which one as Summit shows both of them for our cars. Also what else would be a good replacement. Something not to pricey as this is my daily driver and I hardly race it, but I do like better components. Thanks in advance.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
i'd pick up a set of steeda underdrive pullies, they actually replace the harmonic balancer. and you pick up a bit, and you can find them used for about the same price as a new balancer.

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
I have run underdrives before and have always had problems with them charging due to my stereo. I would rather just buy a crank pulley/balancer. Thanks for you input though.

Cobranator

Established Member
One option is to go with the ATI damper, part number 918036, it's the same diameter as the stock one and the general concensus is that it's the best one out there. Personally that's the one I'd go with and I would stay away from undedrives. One downfall though...it's pricey.:eek:

PGreenSVT

Established Member
I run the Innovators West SFI balancer. It too is kind of pricey but a real high quality unit and it is SFI 18.1 Certified.

white97svt

Established Member
i have the steeda pullies and they work great. they still incorperate a rubber isolator on the pulley so its really not that much different than the stock piece. i just dont use the alternator pulley. i stripped my crank trying to put a march pulley on due to the pulley fitting a little tighter. also make sure you change the crank bolt when you do decide which pullies to use. if you dont odds are you will get some rattling noise from behind your timing cover and if you let it go to long it could tear some shit up.

white97svt

Established Member
Use an install tool too, i used the bolt to try and draw the pulley on thats another reason why it pulled the threads out of my crank. rookie mistake

SoCal94

Established Member
March (the pulley company) and Fluidampr (the fluid dampener product) are different products aren't they?

I'm extremely pleased with the quality and workmanship of the Romac aluminum inner/aluminum outer balancer that I put on my 5.0L ('94 Cobra) after the stocker died. My stocker died the same way you describe - the rubber started working it's way out, and then the outer ring ended up spinning. It ended up crooked, and knocked a hole in my front cover.

The Romac is lighter, and better balanced than my stocker was. The car runs smoother than it did before!

I have no idea if Romac makes products for the Mod motors, but they'd be fools not to.

SoCal94

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
ATI dampener problem

Sorry to hijack, I thought I might hit those with knowledge of these things. I just received by ATI 918036 for my Cobra and the large outer piece has a tag on it with a Chevy description and part number 917078. It appears to be the right part and fits the inner hub portion just fine.

Anyone know if they are sharing components or if they screwed up? The box is correctly labeled with the Ford PN and description.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
March Fluid Damper is what I have been using on my car and I have zero complaints with it!

edit: damnit..didn't notice how old this thread was!

Users who are viewing this thread