Harley, Anyone?

micksnip

Established Member
Folks-
I know this is the :wf: , but wifie and I have decided to buy a Harley 1200 Sportster. We are going to definately keep the Cobra-it's paid for, and so is my life insurance! Anyone have any:
1-bike for sale, by chance? It must be a 1200 Sportster, no bling, pref. not 72-82. Think I can swing max $10k. Mildly extended fork okay.
2-recommended places for purchase(goin to Annapolis HD tomorrow)
3-bike of their own who would like to "putt" around these back roads with me and gimmee a few tips? I already have a cop friend who is gonna coach me, but verbally-he sold his bike, and the training courses are backed up 4 months. I'm willing to pay for lessons.
4-advice? I'm right with God, feel a peace with the decision, wifie is super-jazzed, and I don't trust anyone else on the road, so I'm not walking into this like a babe in the woods.
5-I have a bit of off-road experience with a smaller bike

Would love any help possible, and any advice, including you can pm me or reply if you know of HOW any bad wrecks happened-I'm cool with learning from experience. That's why NTSB puts out a book detailing plane crashes-to help others to avoid a repeat.

Thanx-
Micksnip/Mike

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Good luck with the purchase! Hoping to do this myself some day. As far as helping goes I cannot offer much. But good luch with the HD Dealer! Gonna be hard to resist that brand new beauty.

RAWSN8K

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc
Established Member
Mike,
Good luck with your new bike. Just remember to respect it and always ride defensively. If you think that they see, they don't. I sold my bike last year, a 2002 GSXR1000, because I never road it and it just sat there collecting dust. My wife would not ride with me because she said that she felt like she was falling off of the back, I guess that's what I get for having a sport bike. I may, maybe next year, buy a Victory Vegas. You might want to check them out. They are great bikes and have a model around your price range, the Eight Ball. Good luck.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Good points rawsn8k

The more traffic you are in the more defensive you have to ride. While on the highway always stay near the dotted line. If you don't a car WILL merge in the lane with you, then look at you like where did you come from.

Another thing, PUSH, LOOK, LEAN ... I have been riding for about 4 years and I still use this methodology when riding some technical roads.

Object fixation is not your friend. If you start looking at something, YOU ARE GOING TO HIT IT. Be it a car, jersy berrier, a tree, etc. Keep your eyes moving.

Never leave the house without full gear, minimum riding gear is a protective jacket, gloves, and a helmet that actually protects your noggin.

Thats about all the beginner advice I have for right now.

Later

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
for a good deal, grab a motorcycle trader from 7 11, the HD dealers are going to try to screw you.

for 10K, you should be able to get into a wide glide, which is a bit nicer than a sportster, doesnt vibrate as bad, and all.

STRAIT PIPES SAVE LIVES!!!!

cory

SVTCobra3212

Banned
I think Mike's Famous isn't too far from you?? Just be careful. My dad had 2 HD and got rid of them cause of lack of riding and dust collection, and from the fact that people are idiots and have no concern for people riding bikes (at least in my area).

Users who are viewing this thread