Hardy: GSP played it safe to keep his belt.

J_ho67

MD in training
Established Member
English fighter: I made my mark despite loss to GSP at UFC 111

"I wouldn't change it for the world. Even the result now. I'm a firm believer in everything happens for a reason and obviously I'm not ready to be the champion just yet. But there are a lot of positives to gain from it. Obviously one of them is the fans are now a little more aware of me and the fans that were aware of me before now, most of them, have a new respect for what I'm willing to do when I'm in there."

"I wasn't beaten mentally or physically. I don't know, it must be frustrating for the fans and it's frustrating for me because I know that GSP has the kind of potential to make more of a fight out of it. But he's very good at wrestling and he chooses to stick with the safe option to keep his belt. I mean you can't hold it against him. It's not what I would do in his situation but I'm not in his situation right now, so I can't really make those calls."

"It was just a frustrating fight. Obviously it highlighted some shortfalls in my game and some things that I'm going to be able to dedicate myself more to now in the hopes of getting the belt at some point. But I'm in no way discouraged by it. I feel very positive."

"Normally I'm not too bad at stopping takedowns but obviously Georges is a great wrestler and quite unorthodox as well. . . He shoots with his head to the opposite side and he hooks your front leg with his forearm which is not something I've experienced in the past."

"I'm just a very, very stubborn person. I always have been. . . . That's all it is really, it's just stubbornness and the unwillingness to accept the fact that I've been beaten. The ambar and the kimura were both close, but not close enough to do the damage, so obviously not close enough to tap. If I can tap, I can still hit you."

"I certainly don't feel like I'm miles away from winning the belt. I know I've got work to do but I'm confident that it's within my ability to do it and get the belt. I'm happy with the feedback that I've got after the fight but not happy with the result
."

Typical UK fighter. His best skill his flapping his jaw. This guy is completely delusional. Evidently coming into the fight with a game plan, dominating on the ground, in the clench, AND standing/striking is "playing it safe". I had a little respect for him after the fight for surviving the two vicious looks submission attempts, but the more he opens his mouth, the more idiotic this clown looks.
Talking crap and not being able to back it up after a fight he didn't land a single punch in is Hardy's way of staying relevant so people won't forget who he is.
GSP played his game plan to the letter as any professional should. Hardy just cries about not having a chance to do anything. Apparently in England, if you lack skills, it is your opponent's job to back off enough so you can have a chance. It's either that or Hardy has gone full retard.

Common

Established Member
Hardy did what every guy that loses does, which is rationalize his loss. It is normal and if they didn't do this, they would lose all faith and self confidence which is an essential part of being an MMA fighter.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Hardy had no business in the ring with GSP and GSP should be fighting at 185. If you cant find competition then move up!

TripleBlackVert

Meh whatever!
Established Member
Hardy had no business in the ring with GSP and GSP should be fighting at 185. If you cant find competition then move up!

He found the competition and destroyed it!
Of course he played it safe. Who wants to lose a title on a sloppy fight?

Users who are viewing this thread