Hardship Assignment

OU812

Established Member
Anyone here ever applied for a hardship assignment? I'm trying to get a hardship assignment back to my previous base so I can be with my daughter, I got sent over here as a non-vol and ended up having to do a 36 month tour due to manning. I've talked with my first sergeant but he's getting ready to PCS and hasn't been much help and he doesn't have a replacement yet.

Marc

Established Member
Normally hardship tours are approved if you have a family member that is part of the EFMP program. Or, if your dependent is at a current duty stationed and medically cannot provide for them, then you can work a hardship assignment. Now, if there are issues with your daughter stateside staying with your wife/ex (assuming you are divorced or separated) since you can bring dependents to Japan, you could apply for a accompanied tour and bring her to you. Normally they are automatically granted. I am thinking you came on a unaccompanied tour so your tour length would be shorter. I am just assuming this as you haven't listed any details why you want to go back to the states to be with your daughter.

Normally, unless your daughter is ill, can't come to Japan because of EFMP reasons, or won't have a parent in the area, I doubt it would be considered a hardship. Then again, I don't know all the specifics. Also, there are exceptions to every rule. The best place to start would be your MPF for details on what is considered a hardship tour. The have a AFI for this.

OU812

Established Member
Normally hardship tours are approved if you have a family member that is part of the EFMP program. Or, if your dependent is at a current duty stationed and medically cannot provide for them, then you can work a hardship assignment. Now, if there are issues with your daughter stateside staying with your wife/ex (assuming you are divorced or separated) since you can bring dependents to Japan, you could apply for a accompanied tour and bring her to you. Normally they are automatically granted. I am thinking you came on a unaccompanied tour so your tour length would be shorter. I am just assuming this as you haven't listed any details why you want to go back to the states to be with your daughter.

Normally, unless your daughter is ill, can't come to Japan because of EFMP reasons, or won't have a parent in the area, I doubt it would be considered a hardship. Then again, I don't know all the specifics. Also, there are exceptions to every rule. The best place to start would be your MPF for details on what is considered a hardship tour. The have a AFI for this.

Chief,

I'm just trying to get back to be with my daughter, my ex is a selfish b**ch and had it put in our custody agreement that I'm not allowed to take her out of the state of SC. We have 60/40 custody with her being the custodial parent but the only way she would agree to it was if that was put in there. I guess she thinks that if I were to PCS with our daughter that I wouldn't let her see her or something. I've already asked to have it removed but she won't agree to it and I don't have the money to take her back to court. I've already spent over $8000 on lawyer fees dealing with this crap!

I went to our MPF here and they really didn't help, they told me to apply on VMPF but you can't. They have every other tour under the sun but nothing about hardships. I'm not even sure it will qualify as a hardship but I figure it can't hurt to try. The guy that originally had these orders got out of them because he said coming over here would out him in a financial hardship so if they'll buy that crap then maybe it will go through.

Marc

Established Member
Well I kind of guessed what was going on. Hardships are NOT listed on VMpf.

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but I don't think you qualify. Now, since your family is NOT with you, you should be able to go back and ask them to put you on a unaccompanied tour. This should put you on a 2-year tour. Now, rules change every day so I am not sure. Since you were a non-vol, I think this can be done. Go through your first sergeant and see what he says or your chief in your squadron. If that don't work, go back to the MPF. Even though you might not qualify for a hardship, you might be able to knock a year off that tour.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
OP, one of my guys tried this same thing and he was denied because it's not considered a hardship.

Under the definitions outlined in AFI 36-2110, you do not meet those requirements. Unless something changes in the near future, the best you can do is apply for a follow on BOP from your current assignment.

Unfortunately, this type of problem is inherent to the military. The only way to get around it is to leave the service completely (NOT that I'm recommending this)

OU812

Established Member
I talked with my shirt today and he told me the same thing but he recommended that I apply for a financial hardship instead. I own a house there that is worth $35k less than what I owe on it and keeping it rented out is killing me. I applied for the HAP program but they ran out of funding. Between paying child support, the house payment when it's not rented out, and the car payments that I had, it killed me financially. They make everyone live on base here so I make no extra money besides the little bit of COLA we get.

I've pretty much already decided if I don't make MSGT this coming year I'm getting out, I plan on palace chasing and going in the reserves. I figure that way I won't be totally wasting the 11 years that I've put in. I already have a garunteed job at Boeing if I do it so I'm not too worried about it.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
I talked with my shirt today and he told me the same thing but he recommended that I apply for a financial hardship instead. I own a house there that is worth $35k less than what I owe on it and keeping it rented out is killing me. I applied for the HAP program but they ran out of funding. Between paying child support, the house payment when it's not rented out, and the car payments that I had, it killed me financially. They make everyone live on base here so I make no extra money besides the little bit of COLA we get.

I've pretty much already decided if I don't make MSGT this coming year I'm getting out, I plan on palace chasing and going in the reserves. I figure that way I won't be totally wasting the 11 years that I've put in. I already have a garunteed job at Boeing if I do it so I'm not too worried about it.

Well, if you have a guaranteed job-and can still do palace chase on top of that-you should be able to make ends meet and solve your family issue in one shot. Best of luck to you brother.

Is making Master in your field at 11 years common?

OU812

Established Member
Well, if you have a guaranteed job-and can still do palace chase on top of that-you should be able to make ends meet and solve your family issue in one shot. Best of luck to you brother.

Is making Master in your field at 11 years common?

Average time for Master in my career field is about 15 years so I'm doing pretty good. This year was my first time testing and I missed it by 10 points, I figure for I should make it next year for sure.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Average time for Master in my career field is about 15 years so I'm doing pretty good. This year was my first time testing and I missed it by 10 points, I figure for I should make it next year for sure.

Good on ya. Best of luck brother

Users who are viewing this thread