Hard to start when Cold

Tractionless1

Established Member
OK I'm nearly convinced this problem is being caused by the fuel pressure regulator...

I have it wired to prime rather than run full time, per MalcolmV8's write up... so it doesn't run full time when key on... but when it primes it immediately drops pressure to zero after the pump shuts off.

All pressure regulators are supposed to hold pressure and bleed down slowly from what I understand. So I called Justin at Fore Innovations... he said we have never had a regulator failure or at least a bad one ship out... He said its gotta be something further down the line and suggested I pull my fuel hat...

That doesn't even make sense... The return line just connects to the hat and dumps the fuel back in the tank, there is nothing mechanical there that would help the system hold pressure when the pumps are off right?

Just making sure that's the case before I call Justin back and tell him to send me a new regulator to try.

FYI, mine runs full time with the same start problem as you. My tuner sent a new map today, if it works I'll let you know what he changed.

procharged 99

Established Member
Mine does the same damn thing. I have a complete aeromotive return style fuel system a1000 sumped tank ect. I hate when it does it feel like it's going to kill my motor.

Bad Company

Established Member
OK I'm nearly convinced this problem is being caused by the fuel pressure regulator...

I have it wired to prime rather than run full time, per MalcolmV8's write up... so it doesn't run full time when key on... but when it primes it immediately drops pressure to zero after the pump shuts off.

All pressure regulators are supposed to hold pressure and bleed down slowly from what I understand. So I called Justin at Fore Innovations... he said we have never had a regulator failure or at least a bad one ship out... He said its gotta be something further down the line and suggested I pull my fuel hat...

That doesn't even make sense... The return line just connects to the hat and dumps the fuel back in the tank, there is nothing mechanical there that would help the system hold pressure when the pumps are off right?

Just making sure that's the case before I call Justin back and tell him to send me a new regulator to try.
He is thinking that the check valve on the output/pressure side of the pump is stuck open. This would allow the fuel pressure to bleed off the fuel rail as soon as you turn the key off, backwards through the fuel pump and hat

Users who are viewing this thread