Hard to go 1st or Reverse from idle

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
Anyone experience with transmission hard to go into gear ? My Shelby is extremely difficult to go into first and reverse (at start up or after idling in neutral). The only way I can get them to go into gear is to engage a high gear and go back to 1st or reverse. The clutch is not releasing, if i sit with the clutch depressed for a minute, it will slip into those gears. I have had experience in older mustangs and all I had to do was adjust the clutch cable, as you all know, no cable on the Shelby. Do I need to flush the brake fluid and try to bleed the hydraulic clutch or is my clutch master going out. Any thoughts and experiences.

RedZR

Established Member
Did it just start this? It does not sound normal based on my 2008 bith before and after the new clutch

psycholx

Established Member
For what I am told, it has been doing this about a month. My son had it away in college. There is no slipping of the clutch at all, so I don't believe the clutch is failing.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Sounds like the clutch is on its way out. i literally just swapped to a mcleod rxt and its criminal how poorly the OEM clutch performed. i had issues shifting 1-2 and had no idea it was clutch related. shifting feels 100000000× better.

I had 31500 on the stock clutch.

Papaw

Established Member
Valet mode in an '07 - '10 car can be accomplished by screwing a 2X4 to the floor directly under the gas pedal.

'Seems to me a true hillbilly would already know that.:p

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Well....when I said normal I guess I should have said, "normal if you are using the stock shifter." I had the same issues. I couldn't get 1st or reverse. I would start to sweat at red lights, hoping to get it into first. It really felt like a bad master/slave cylinder(s). I would have to put it into 4th, then into reverse, when stopped, if I needed reverse. Same at red lights. I would have to engage a higher gear, then grab first. All that changed when I swapped to the MGW and Amsoil ATF.

vipboy28

Established Member
I have to disagree. This issue is very normal. I have had my car (2010 GT500) since 2012. I had this issue and still do. If you go 1st to reverse that will not grind. Idle to Reverse Grinds 90% of the time. Getting into first is tough but as the fluids warm up it gets easier but not as smooth as gears 2-6.

I had Fette Ford in Clifton, NJ check it out. Had the service manager involved and wrote to HQ about this issue. I was told simply that when the car is idle. There is spinning happening at a fast rate in Neutral than 1st or 2nd gear. The recommended solution is to 1st to reverse shift the car.

FYI - There is a TSB for it and you can always do a fluid swap. Some people have gone to different fluids BUT most say a MGW shifter is the best solution.

I do hard pulls on my car and my clutch does not slip at all. I have 42k miles on my car and when i got it, it only had 16k miles on it.

psycholx

Established Member
Update, well still doing it. Going to cough it up to normal. I already have the MGW (the best, my opinion) and just changed the ATF to AMSOIL. Drove it for a couple days, still the same, I don't feel a big difference with the AMSOIL.. So, guess I will just have to continue to put in high gear then back to 1st or Reverse when needed. Thanks for all the replies.

RLB01

Established Member
Have an 07 with MGW & Amsoil and experience the same issue.
I just live with it.

1st usa car

Established Member
not a problem w/ my 2011. I use to have serious problems with 1-2 shifts but the new setup took care of that ---- Only issue I get sometimes is high speed shifts from 4-5.

Users who are viewing this thread