Hard to get in first gear

poisonpony96

Established Member
My 96 cobra is extremely hard to get in to first gear. It has a steeda short shifter. Bought car with it. Most of the time I have to really force it into first gear. Feels like I'm going to break something.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
That's not right. Mine goes into gear really smooth. Try adjusting your clutch. Do a search on clutch adjustment and you'll find what you're looking for.

poisonpony96

Established Member
yeah some times it goes smooth. i just checked don't believe its a clutch issue. i can feel it fully disengages. full clutch out at half way

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Can you put in in R first, move the car back about an inch or whatever, then try to put it in 1

I'm assuming the shifter stops are properly adjusted.

poisonpony96

Established Member
Can you put in in R first, move the car back about an inch or whatever, then try to put it in 1

I'm assuming the shifter stops are properly adjusted.

well with this car and my last cobra you have to put it into first before you go to reverse. and i have know idea about the shifter stops. but if they were off have would that make it hard to put into gear?

uofipilot

Established Member
and i have know idea about the shifter stops. but if they were off have would that make it hard to put into gear?

No. Stops would not make it hard to go into gear. The stops are in place to prevent you from shifting the shifter too far. The only way the stop would be an issue is if they were turned in completely, but then you would not be able to get it into first at all (because there would be a bolt in the way).

On my car, I sometime have to let the clutch out and then push it back in, then shift into 1st. I think it's just one of the odd quirks of the t45. I had this issue with both my stock and my mgw shifters. The same thing happens with reverse sometimes, but I just quick move it up into fifth and then it slides right down into reverse.

poisonpony96

Established Member
Yeah sometimes it slips in but if I'm driving and pull up to a light when I go to put it in first I really have to force it! Almost feels light the shifter is flexing from so much force

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
On my car, I sometime have to let the clutch out and then push it back in, then shift into 1st. I think it's just one of the odd quirks of the t45. I had this issue with both my stock and my mgw shifters. The same thing happens with reverse sometimes, but I just quick move it up into fifth and then it slides right down into reverse.

I have to do the same with my car.

uofipilot

Established Member
Yeah sometimes it slips in but if I'm driving and pull up to a light when I go to put it in first I really have to force it! Almost feels light the shifter is flexing from so much force

If that happens, I wouldn't just force it in. That's asking to break something. Just do what we mentioned and let the cluch out, push it back in, then shift into first. That ought to do it. You could also try shifting into a different gear, like second, and then back into first. I'm not an expert on the internals of a transmission, but it seems like something isn't lined up correctly when you can't get it into first. You then need to do something in order to spin the internals, even if its just a fraction of an inch.

poisonpony96

Established Member
If that happens, I wouldn't just force it in. That's asking to break something. Just do what we mentioned and let the cluch out, push it back in, then shift into first. That ought to do it. You could also try shifting into a different gear, like second, and then back into first. I'm not an expert on the internals of a transmission, but it seems like something isn't lined up correctly when you can't get it into first. You then need to do something in order to spin the internals, even if its just a fraction of an inch.

Yeah I've tryed letting clutch out then trying again doesn't work. But with the 4.30 can just take off from second

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
take the shift boot off and back off the bump stops your shifter.. see if that fixes it...

If your not sure pull up the install guide off steeda's website..

uofipilot

Established Member
When this starts happining its time for a new trans.

I dont think that's really accurate. The t45 is a quirky, noisy, turdpile. That's for sure. But just having it not slide right into gear doesnt mean the trans is shot. Mine does that to, since i've gotten it three years ago. It's just one of the t45's deals.

It wouldnt hurt to get a new trans, but I don;t think this issue means that your trans is gonna crap out tomorrow.

Guess it's worth a try but don't know how that would help

I don't either. As I said above, I don't see how adjusting the stops will change anything.

Users who are viewing this thread