Hard Starting when warm

hankins0621

Established Member
Alright guys, I have a 95 Cobra only extras are pulleys and MSD ignition. My car starts fine when i first start it or after a peroid of time but if turn it off and try to turn it back on sometimes it barley start and sometime batt is completley dead? wondered if you guys had any suggestions on what might be the problem? thanks

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
battery, Going bad or bad cell, starts fine cold, heat it up, ain't worth crap. Get it tested, starters will do the same sometimes but test the Battery first, thats my bet.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
If the battery checks ok under a load, connect a battery jumper cable from the NEG batt terminal to a GOOD ground on the engine BLOCK. You may have a loose or corroded ground connection at the block.

Dan

Lee

Established Member
Dano, where is the block ground connection? Mine also has a hard time starting warm. The starter spins if fine but it doesn't fire.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Lee
Dano, where is the block ground connection? Mine also has a hard time starting warm. The starter spins if fine but it doesn't fire.
follow negitive battery cable from battery, you'll find it.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
STAMPEDE3
LOL.LOL.LOL.LOL
The '94 & '95 aren't quite that easy.

Lee
I think you have a different problem ... mine woulldn't even crank (unless I used the jumper cable to the block scenerio). The ground connection is damn near impossible to see - you need an extremely bright flashlight. I'm going out to look at the engine now & get a good location to look at.

My secondary cable (temp) is in the way, but look straight down the front edge of the power steering bracket (& coil), and then directly behind the left side of the water pump, down low near the head and 02 sensor. You'll be able to see the end of the threaded stud that the cable is mounted to.
I used a log screwdriver to check it, and the cable turned. The lower hose has to come off for sure. I had just got my coolant level to stabilize, and didn't want to screw around with it again, so I'm waiting for the next time it's off to tighten the cable.

Dan

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
Originally posted by hankins0621
Alright guys, I have a 95 Cobra only extras are pulleys and MSD ignition. My car starts fine when i first start it or after a peroid of time but if turn it off and try to turn it back on sometimes it barley start and sometime batt is completley dead? wondered if you guys had any suggestions on what might be the problem? thanks

Hankins,

If it's not the battery, then i'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump. The same thing happened to me a few months ago. The car starts fine in the morning, but if you stop at a convenience store and come back and try to start the car, you end up cranking it a few times before it barely kicks over.

David

hankins0621

Established Member
alright thanks guys it turned out to be the battery . One more question when im ideling it still shows my battery is low is that just cause i have the pulleys installed?

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
No experience on pulleys ...

Check the Batt Ground AT THE BLOCK {of course, the battery terminals, too}! After I isolated a bad engine ground on my '95, all the gauges that had been giving me fits, started reading "In Range." If that Neg cable at the block is loose or corroded, you're going to have problems that seem impossible to isolate!

Dan

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Originally posted by hankins0621
alright thanks guys it turned out to be the battery . One more question when im ideling it still shows my battery is low is that just cause i have the pulleys installed?
Pullies will do that! My 95 did it and my 96 does it, as long the volt gauge comes up when you give it gas you'll be OK.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Kind of figures ... smaller diameter = less inner diameter pulley travel vs. belt travel does that make any sense?. Didn't want to say anything = lack of experience.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread