Hard shifting when cold ?

EFFURJDM

Established Member
hi guys

My car is really hard to shift gears when its cold reverse is the hardest , then first.

when i first start it up i really!!! have to fight it to get it in reverse and when it starts to warm up it does get a bit easier but at normal temp stays kinda the same. each gear still needs some good muscle to get it in. when cruising in 5th gear it makes a weird noise coming from the tranny like a some type of vibrating, when i grab the shifter it dims the noise.

so my friend said sounds like your slave cylinder is going bad , but i search in google and said fox body's don't have one.

where is a good place to start ?
1 fluid ?
2 clutch cable?

any help would be great. thx guys

jamessims

Established Member
Clutch cable... do u have the stock setup or the adjustable aftermarket... If it's stock pull up on the clutch pedal with ur hand and see if it adjusts itself and then try it again... Also pop the hood and follow the clutch cable from the firewall down to the tranny make sure it didn't get burned up on the headers ;) been there done that... Let me know

EFFURJDM

Established Member
Clutch cable... do u have the stock setup or the adjustable aftermarket... If it's stock pull up on the clutch pedal with ur hand and see if it adjusts itself and then try it again... Also pop the hood and follow the clutch cable from the firewall down to the tranny make sure it didn't get burned up on the headers ;) been there done that... Let me know

alright thx , and i think its a stock clutch cable , who i bought it from never mentioned anything about it.
but ill take a look at it tomorrow and try the hand a pedal method u mentioned.

thx again

cotchnobra

Established Member
I would say you might have a strechted cable for the hard to shift problem and for the niose in fifth that could be just the shifter is slightly loose. now depending on how bad the vibe is it could be something along the lines of a bad harmonic balancer or fan clutch. A little tip for putting a t-5 or t-45 in reverse is put the shifter in 5th then reverse or hold the shifter back towards reverse and slowly let out the clutch till it can go in and push clutch back in.

EFFURJDM

Established Member
thx guys for the help . i checked my clutch cable and it dont look like it made contact with the header. and i been putting it into first gear then revers ill try the 5th gear and see if it works better.

EFFURJDM

Established Member
I would say you might have a strechted cable for the hard to shift problem and for the niose in fifth that could be just the shifter is slightly loose. now depending on how bad the vibe is it could be something along the lines of a bad harmonic balancer or fan clutch. A little tip for putting a t-5 or t-45 in reverse is put the shifter in 5th then reverse or hold the shifter back towards reverse and slowly let out the clutch till it can go in and push clutch back in.

umm i think it might be loose since its not very loud and it only does it for a bit all check it all out since its been sitting since 04 lol thx

Users who are viewing this thread