Hard Lesson=Valve Tap...A lil help?

99NJCobra

Established Member
Well, with so much on my mind over the past couple of months I made a lil mistake with the cobra and now have a valve tap. I'm pretty much clue less on modular motors, so my question is, generally, what is needed to fix a valve tap on these motors?
Thanks, Brian

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
is it valve tap, or rod knock.

first thing you have to do is isolate the noise.

btw, you ran it low on oil right?

99NJCobra

Established Member
I hate to admit it, but yes. Kept forgetting to change the oil and my brother in law reminded me when we had it on the lift last saturday, so I was going to do it today since I'm off. Oh well, day late and a dollar short. Least I have an excuse to upgrade now!

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
When I bought my Cobra it was making the dreaded ticking noise, I read over on corral.net to try dumping a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil into the oil and I gave it a shot.

I don't know how, I don't know why, but I know that my car no longer makes the ticking noise it did when I bought it and it runs strong as hell for a 130,000+ mile car if the Evo's and STi's in my rear view mirror and trapping 102+ on street tires are any indications of that :)

After a put it in over the next few weeks the tick just slowly went away until it was completely gone :burnout:

Worth a shot before you go tearing into things!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Knowing that you ran the car low on oil, my guess here is that you don't have a valve tap, but a rod knock.

The rod bearings in these motors absolutely do not like to be starved of oil. On top of that, the heads trap a lot of oil in them during operation. SO with the car low on oil this is likely the case.

Find yourself a stepthescope and isolate where the noise is coming from. If it's coming from the heads you've probably got a bad lifter, follower etc. More than likely I would say you're going to isolate the noise coming from the block itself.

Another way to determine this is to let the car idle and one by one pull off the COP unit from the plug. If you get to a cylinder that you've pulled off the COP and the noise stops...there's your rod knock.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Hope it's not a rod knock...but your oil starvation problem points in this direction. Let us know if you try the Mystery Oil route and if it works. I too think I'm losing a bearing despite being real good with oil management. One other thought...could it be an injector noise? Luck to you.

99NJCobra

Established Member
Well, I had her out on the road today. Besides the noise, she also won't stay running at a stop/idle. SO she's now parked and I think it's time for me to get a second car for daily driving so I don't have to worry about this anymore. I was planning on rebuilding the motor, but not for a couple months as I just don't have enough to do it yet. Oh well.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Nope, doesn't sound good. Really sucks...especially if it's your DD like mine. Hopefully a further look might bring a reprieve. Hope so.

Users who are viewing this thread