Hard Clutch Pedal, need suggestions on fix

Darknight

Established Member
I just bought a 99 Cobra, and from my experience, it has the most effort required out of any other clutch that I've used in a vehicle.

I measured the actual effort to depress the pedal at approximately 60lbs, and about 50lbs to hold it still.

So after doing tons of searches on ways to fix it, I disconnected the clutch cable off the quadrant and the clutch fork and it appears to be in perfect working order with no binding of any type. I even lubed it just to be safe.

I also checked the pedal effort without the cable attached to make sure it wasn't binding and no problems there either.

While I was down there, I snapped a couple pics with the dust cover off, hoping to get some ideas from people as to what would be causing this problem.

I would rather not have to pull the transmission and/or replace the clutch, etc.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/sac811/DustCover.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/sac811/Cable.jpg

Is there anything that can be accessed through the dust cover to check or go to the effort of replacing before dropping the transmission?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
The grease on my TOB retainer sleeve was caked/dry that caused my pedal effort to be high (I don't think it was as high as yours though). I'm not sure you can effectively lube the retainer sleeve, but I bet you can get something on there w/the clutch pushed in -- similar to the first pic except from the backside of the TOB.

Some clutches require quite the pedal effort. Do you know if your clutch is stock?

If the clutch fork comes off the pivot ball, the effort will get higher. I actually broke my stock TOB that way. In the first pic it looks like the "pads" on the clutch fork are hitting the TOB in the correct location. Try pushing the clutch fork in just in case.

And the pedal effort can go up when your cable is frayed. But it sounds like your cable is fine.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I just bought a 99 Cobra, and from my experience, it has the most effort required out of any other clutch that I've used in a vehicle.

How many have been mustangs with a cable clutch.

They are all fairly hard, some more than others depending on brand but compared to most other cars they are hard.

Darknight

Established Member
If its normal that it requires 60lbs of pressure, then thats fine.

But my guess is that something isn't quite right.

Whether that means a throwout bearing, pivot ball, or just an aftermarket clutch that is very difficult.

Just trying to find out whats up.

SilverNotch

Established Member
My 01 Cobra was binding and shifting like a mack truck and my tob starting making a noise. So, I bought a steeda firewall adjuster, double hook quadrant, and pedal height adjuster. Now everything is lighter and easier with the new parts. I think overtime the plastic quadrant gets brittle and the springs seize up so it gets hard to shift and heavier. I pieced all the parts together for 55 dollars. I paid 20 each for quadrant and firewall adjuster and 15 for the pedal adjuster. The only thing is the firewall adjuster was missing the set screw,spring, and ball bearing for the click mechanics so I go the parts at ace hardware to fix it. Also, when the clutch was properly adjusted I now have no noise from the tob.

Darknight

Established Member
I will probably buy the parts u mentioned and see how that helps.

Is there any way to lube any of the tob, etc. With just the dust cover off in case that doesn't help?

Users who are viewing this thread