Hard Choice on KB 2.6H

falcon50

Established Member
I am putting a Terminator motor in my '98 Mark VIII and bought a KB 2.6H, looking for 550-600 whp. When I met with the tuner Friday, he said there were heat issues with the KB 2.6H. He suggested I sell the KB (at a loss) and get a Whipple. Unfortunately, the Wipple 2.9 won't fit under the hood so it'll have to be a 2.3, leaving me wondering if I can still get 550-600 whp. I've searched and haven't found a mention of a KB 2.6H heat issue, is this common knowledge?

Set up:
SCT BA 2600 MAF
60 lb. Injectors
Fore Fuel Rails
Upgraded Fuel Line
Walpro 405 Fuel Punp
Cobra Exhaust with Flowmaster Cats, X-Pipe, Laminar Flow Mufflers
Upgraded heat exchanger
Lentech Street Terminator Plus 4RW70 with 2200 Stall
3.73 Gears

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Don't buy into that. KB's get hot, as do whipples. At your power levels you will be fine. Just don't expect to hot lap it at the track and not hand over some hp in return.

falcon50

Established Member
Thanks so much, that's what I was hoping.
I've been living with a KB 2.2 on a '95 5.0 with no intercooling for 8 years so I do understand the heat issues.
The tuner made it sound like a design defect on the KB 2.6H model that made it worse than expected.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Maybe you should look for a tuner that likes and is an expert in KB.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I had a good friend that ran a 2.6 for a year on track and on the street with no issues. He then moved to the 2.8H and ran that for a year, again no issues. He actually had his fastest time on the 2.6. Only by a tenth or so, but it was his fastest time.

You will have no problem reaching your power goal with the 2.6H or a 2.3 Whipple.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
The tuner is FOS and is just trying to sell you a blower.
The KB 2.6 is a good blower.
Enjoy it and find a new tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread