Hanging RPM's

Hunter9003

Established Member
Need help on what's wrong with my 2001 cobra with 89k miles. The main mods are full exhaust, 4.10s, stage two clutch, bama tune and CAI. When shifting into neutral, the rpms hang at the same amount from any previous gear. It will also hang at the previous gears rpms until I let out the clutch into the next gear. This is a new issue I've never experienced in the two years of ownership. Thanks

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
so nothing on the car has changed in 2 years?

Ive seen this as a tune related thing before but not likely if the same tune has been on there a while

baller1svtcobra

Established Member
that happened to me when i had put in the tune with my sct (bama tune)
i had to return to stock and email them about the problem. they sent me new tunes and the car runs good now
i tried cleaning the iac but that didnt help at all

01yellercobra

Established Member
Any threads or directions on how to go about that?

Unplug the IAC. Remove the two bolts holding it in place. They're 8mm IIRC. Be careful when removing it. The gasket is thin. I've used brake cleaner and throttle body cleaner on mine. Reverse steps to re - install. If it gets better or fixes the issue I would order a new one.

01yellercobra

Established Member
that happened to me when i had put in the tune with my sct (bama tune)
i had to return to stock and email them about the problem. they sent me new tunes and the car runs good now
i tried cleaning the iac but that didnt help at all

If he's been running the tune for two years and the problem just surfaced then I doubt it's a tune issue.

Hunter9003

Established Member
Apologies on the late reply... more back story on the issue. After returning from a month in the field and the car not being driven for that time period, I had to replace the battery before I drove 3hrs home. During that drive I ran into the hanging RPM's issue and it stayed unresolved until I beat on the car a little the next day and I haven't had the issue since. I'm not sure if that's a coincidence or not though.
Even though the car isn't showing a check engine light, I took my SCT tuner and read codes "P1000 OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete", as well as "P0442 Evap Emissions Systems Leak Detected (Small Leak)". I don't believe the 2nd code is correct though because I replaced the leaking filler neck for the gas tank and haven't had an issue.
Thoughts? Thanks

RX1Cobra

Established Member
The first code is because of the second one. If you think you fixed the problem clear the code and see if it come back.

01yellercobra

Established Member
There's usually some relearn time for the idle. That's probably when you noticed it hanging.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Apologies on the late reply... more back story on the issue. After returning from a month in the field and the car not being driven for that time period, I had to replace the battery before I drove 3hrs home. During that drive I ran into the hanging RPM's issue and it stayed unresolved until I beat on the car a little the next day and I haven't had the issue since. I'm not sure if that's a coincidence or not though.
Even though the car isn't showing a check engine light, I took my SCT tuner and read codes "P1000 OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete", as well as "P0442 Evap Emissions Systems Leak Detected (Small Leak)". I don't believe the 2nd code is correct though because I replaced the leaking filler neck for the gas tank and haven't had an issue.
Thoughts? Thanks

If you pulled the codes AFTER replacing a dead battery, they're still legit codes. Unless you replaced the filler neck since replacing the battery.

Hunter9003

Established Member
Took the cobra on vacation this labor day weekend and it decided to hesitate under load after a few hours of travel both ways. Realized it was prob the fuel pump as I just hit 90k miles and the evap code I was receiving. Just scheduled to have a new 265lph pump installed at Blow By Racing. Thoughts?

Hunter9003

Established Member
Received check engine light again as well. States (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor A Circuit). Also cant say enough about how awesome BBR is in Boca Raton!

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you actually diagnose it as the pump or did you just throw parts at it? A bad fuel pump won't throw an Evap code.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Mine does it after sitting for a long time with the battery unhooked. After about ten or so cycles it relearns the idle and returns to normal. I have no doubt that my iac is dirty though lol

Users who are viewing this thread