handheld tuner question

2003svtredfire

Established Member
This is not a tuning question. I traded in my 03 cobra about a week ago and stripped what parts I could off of it. Anyway, I still have the sct programmer because I do not think the dealer needed it and I paid around 400 bucks for that when I had the car dyno tuned. Well, now the new owner wants it for free and I do not know him whatsoever. Do you guys think I should just hand it over to him or charge him for it?

cobracide

Established Member
Well what are you going to do with it? Is the stock tune back on with stock boost? If the car is back to stock - then negotiate or ebay it. Otherwise, I'd throw it in with the car.

Last edited:

Black306

Established Member
I'm with cobracide. If it's locked to the car, it's not worth much anyway. You'll only get $50-100 for it. To unlock it will cost you $150. I'd say toss it with the car.

If you returned the tune back to stock and the tuner is unlocked, make a deal with the guy.

If this guy is contacting you directly, I would be more concerned with how he got a hold of you.

Dragu1a

Established Member
If this guy is contacting you directly, I would be more concerned with how he got a hold of you.

yeah, i'd be more concerned w/how this dude got ahold of you. if you don't need it though, tell him $100 or go pay for his own.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I agree with the others. If you left the car with a custom tune installed, and didn't un-marry the tuner then it is useless to you any, since you can use it on anything else without paying to unlock it, so why wouldn't you just give it to the buyer? I mean you could sell it to him, but that would be kind of a scab thing to do...

Zacharyx

Established Member
I would charge him, I have too many people see parts in my garage that I am not using and think they should be able to get them for nothing since I am not using them at that time. He the dealer gave you the trade in value for what was there and he bought what you traded, if he wants it he pays, even if it is only $50

Black306 has a point with the contact thing

Users who are viewing this thread