Handheld tuner... new vs used question

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
My car is a 97 Cobra with K&N intake, O/R X, mufflers, gears, smog delete, and a 100 shot.

1) I want to be able to tune off my knock sensors, EGR, rear O2 sensors, and adjust fuel pressure and timing. Can I use an XCal to adjust or alter all of these things?

2) Do XCals come with preloaded tunes like a 91 or 93 octane tune, or do you have to get an email or dyno tune from somewhere?

3) Should I buy a new or used tuner, and XCal 2 or 3?

Thanks for any help.

crazycarlo

Established Member
well the xcal 2 does all the stuff the 3 does. its just the 3 does it a little faster. In order to turn off the knock sensors i think you actually have to have the tuner do it, at least thats what my diablosport had to do.

It should already come with a performance tune in it.

As far as used or new id buy used if i found a deal just make sure the person put their stock tune back into their car and the tuner isnt vin locked anymore.

LGHTNG02GT

Established Member
i strongly recommend Rick at Amazon man. i worked with him over the summer/fall and have nothing but good things to say. when you get an SCT XCal3 from him, it will have a pre-loaded tune on it for your car. some of the stuff you listed would have to be turned off by the tuner when they write up the tune file (like the EGR, fuel pressure and knock sensors) and other things you can adjsut yourself (like the timing and rear O2's)

if you buy used, make sure it is unlocked. otherwise you would have to ship it out and pay like $150 i think it is for it to be unlocked. also, you will more than likely have to pay for tune files which i believe are $125 from Amazon. someone correct me if i'm wrong with any of those prices.

pacific4v

Established Member
Those prices seem pretty close. The xcal doesnt come preloaded with a tune from sct. Most places retail an xcal 3 for $379 brand new, Amazon sells them for $399 with a custom tune for ur mods and they offer free revisions for life. U can datalog with the xcal and email the info to Rick @ Amazon and he can tweak it based off that info and email u a better tune. He told me he can email tune for nitrous too. So basically for $20 more than the retail price your getting a custom tune with free revisions. It sounds like I'm plugging Amazon here but really I just think it's the best route if ur looking for a handheld tuner.

crazycarlo

Established Member
preloaded tunes are just that preloaded and only a "guestimate" tune if you will. To take full advantage of something like nitrous, or a blower if you ever go that route id highly suggest you take ur car to the tuner and have it dynotuned.

But they are right $399 for an XCAL with a tune already in it is a good deal.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
we buy the XCAL3s blank and load in an Amazon tune that is customized for your vehicle.. it is a preliminary program for your vehicle and on the rich side to see how the vehicle responds to it..then parameter datalogs and AF must be collected and sent back to Rick so he can optimalize your tune..

for $399 you also get free shipping along with the free custom program with free revisions for as long as you own the vehicle

PM your # to me and I will have Rick call you to discuss your tuning options

Users who are viewing this thread