Handgun site adjustment

rjs281

Established Member
I have a Taurus pt 24/7 9mm with 3 dot sights. I think the Windage needs to be adjusted but the site doesnt have I screw for it. Do I need to use a punch for that? I know that may seem like a dumb ? But I havent done it before and my Manu only tells you how to do adjustable sites. Wonder if I should buy some. Don't want to damage my gun,but would like to know how to do it myself.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
There are usually sight pushers available around $25-30. I'm not sure about Taurus specifically but I'm sure they're available. (or one for another brand can be used)

That would be the most precise way to do it. Of course you could just take it to a 'smith and I'm sure they'd do it for a nominal fee.

You can use a punch (I'd make sure the sight is metal), but it's less precise obviously. Guys used to use a drift to swap sights on XD's before pushers were available. Wrap the slide in a leather belt and position it in a vice.

rjs281

Established Member
When I was searching I did see some adjusters for around 100 bucks or so. How much well a smith charge for sighting a weapon in?

txyaloo

Established Member
Most sight pushers cost in the $100 range. I haven't ever seen any as cheap as $30.

Have you had someone else shoot the gun to make sure it's not your technique? This is a good chart for diagnosing problems:

correction_chart_logo_small.gif.jpg

As mentioned, the cheapest way to fix it will be to drift the sights with a hammer and punch. You could mar the sights doing that.

If you don't have night sights, I'd recommend ditching the stock sights anyway and upgrading to night sights. IME, gunsmiths charge $25-50 to install a set of sights. It sometimes makes more sense to just buy the sight pusher versus paying someone to install sights.

rjs281

Established Member
That's some good info. I did have someone else shot it and he was seeing the same thing. Not saying it couldn't been us though. How far is a good distance for checking this? I thought I saw 15yds somewhere but that seems a little far.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
distance matters not in that chart.

the chart becomes more useful the farther the target since you can really see where the bullets are going and what youre doing to cause it.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I would not use a punch or any other makeshift method to adjust the fixed rear sight. As has been said, the proper tool will cost about $100 and is usually specific to the shape of the sight. A gunsmith will charge less. No point in buying the tool unless you plan to change sights more than once.

There are so many choices in sights and where to buy them it is hard to list a single source. Try a Google search and go from there.

I know you have said that you're sure the sights are misaligned. Take careful shots from a bench rest at a close target (10 to 15 yds) and be sure that they are all consistantly off the same before making any changes. A good gunsmith should be able to check the accuracy and verify your findings before making any adjustments.

Last edited:

rjs281

Established Member
The cheapest way to fix your sight problem is to do a taurus delete, and go buy a g19 or g17.

Your welcome.

I would like a glock. I am not complaining about the taures. I have put over a thousand rounds through it without a single misfire. Would like to put adjustable night sites on it anyway. Am going back to the range next weekend and try to pinpoint the problem more. It was great tell the other day.

Danl

2 wheel nut job
Established Member
Love my 24/7, 45. It is spot on with the factory sites. Very comfortable in my hand.

rjs281

Established Member
I did stick a bore site in it and looked good. I know that's not a great way to check but it all I can do tell this weekend. Maybe it was just us not shooting good that day. Would still like some new sites I think.

txyaloo

Established Member
I would like a glock. I am not complaining about the taures. I have put over a thousand rounds through it without a single misfire. Would like to put adjustable night sites on it anyway. Am going back to the range next weekend and try to pinpoint the problem more. It was great tell the other day.

Skip the adjustable sights, IMO.

Heinie, Novak, Warren Tactical, and Ameriglo make great night sights.

Heinie Specialty Products, Inc.
TAURUS 24/7-OSS

Warren and Ameriglo don't make sights for the Taurus, though.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Heh, well I was off a bit on the price of a pusher. It's been a few years since I last looked.

Also consider Trijicon. Use 'em for work, and they glow nicely. I bought another set for my XD 2 years ago for about $85, from Optics planet.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I will second the vote for Trijicon. I have them on my 1911 and my Beretta. You can send your slide to a company in MI recommended by Trijicon and have the sights mounted. That's what I did... quick and easy.

For my Glock 30SF and 21SF I am planning to get Ameriglo sights to replace the stockers.

As others have said, forget the adjustable sights.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Just wondering what's bad about the adjustable sights?

IMO adjustable sights are for target handguns used only at the range. If you want a dependable sight that will always be accurate for self defense avoid adjustable sights. A couple of bumps and they are not where you set them.

That being said, I have the factory adjustable rear sights on a Colt Gold Cup National Match 1911. It is only used at the range.

Users who are viewing this thread