Handgun safe

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I tried search, sorry if this is a topic that has been covered a ton.

I'm want to move my g26 or g17 closer to my bed. I'm looking for suggestions for small safes than can hold either gun or even both. I'm not really worried about the safe being stolen, this is more keeping the weapon closer to my bed and out of the reach of my son. I'm leaning towards pad or biometric but not keyed. That seems too slow and also mildly unsafe because I have to store the key somewhere. However, if somebody has good experience and thoughts on a keyed safe please bring them to the table. Bulldog, gunvault, Hornady? I'd appreciate any any thoughts, experience, or home run must haves.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a GunVault micro (I think?) in my night table, it only holds a Ruger SP101 but I can fit my G43 in there with it. Anything bigger and it would only have room for one. I went for keypad instead of biometric, I don't like the idea of having the chance of my finger not being read in a time of need.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I have a gunvault as well, isn't biometric though, it has a finger combo.

I use a 2000 deluxe, but there are several models. The deluxe units come with wall plugs and have an internal battery backup.

http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes.html?p=1

I was definitely looking at one of those, including the biometric version. I've seen in some of the reviews that occasionally the biometric version doesn't open. Have you had any issues with yours?

MFE

Established Member
I'm want to move my g26 or g17 closer to my bed. I'm looking for suggestions for small safes than can hold either gun or even both. I'm not really worried about the safe being stolen, this is more keeping the weapon closer to my bed and out of the reach of my son.

We bought a GunVault mini-deluxe before we even bought our first handgun, for exactly the same reason. We now have three of them (his, hers, and kitchen), and I've added the cable tethers to all of them. Will it stop a determined thief? No. But it'll stop an impatient and unprepared one. Meanwhile, there isn't a child in the world who can get in one, but if you know the combo, you're in it in 2 seconds. The backup keys are kept in another safe.

oldmodman

Established Member
To stop thieves it's more fun just to electrocute them.

I took a neon sign transformer (25ma @ 35K) and wired it to an unfireable 45 Colt. it looked like new on one side. Total disaster on the other. Rusted solid. But lying on the table in the center of the hallway at the front door it was instant bait to any scum breaking in.
It doesn't actually kill them but it gives them such an enormous shock that they won't be doing any breathing or thinking for several minutes. At least the one crook that actually broke in and touched it didn't go any farther. The door was still ajar when I got home but nothing was missing and except for the pool of vomit and saliva no damage was done.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I have a gunvault as well, isn't biometric though, it has a finger combo.

I use a 2000 deluxe, but there are several models. The deluxe units come with wall plugs and have an internal battery backup.

http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes.html?p=1

Mine is this one, it is not biometric, you enter a combo with your finger tips.

http://www.gunvault.com/multivault-gv2000d.html

I have only had it six months, it always opens. the model I have plugs into the wall and has a user replaceable 9v for backup.

I also have a GV2000D. Got it a few years ago and it has worked flawlessly.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I've got a simple one I bought at Dicks Sporting Goods a few years back once we had children. Holds my Sig P220 and extra clips no problem. I went the keypad route also. It has a keyed backup (I guess if the battery ever dies)...

I check it monthly and haven't had to replace the battery in like 4+ years...Super simple and peace of mind...Think it was like $75 or something like that...Fit cleanly in the bottom drawer of my night stand...

If I had a complaint it's that I wish the keys were backlit...I can see that maybe being a problem if/when I ever need to access it in the middle of the night...

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to give the 2000D a try.

We bought a GunVault mini-deluxe before we even bought our first handgun, for exactly the same reason. We now have three of them (his, hers, and kitchen), and I've added the cable tethers to all of them. Will it stop a determined thief? No. But it'll stop an impatient and unprepared one. Meanwhile, there isn't a child in the world who can get in one, but if you know the combo, you're in it in 2 seconds. The backup keys are kept in another safe.
You know, I was so focused on having the keys handy in case of emergency and how that would make them available to my son I didn't even consider such an obvious answer. Thank you.

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
I ordered this on Amazon Prime a while back, same reason, keep it close to the bed and keep the kiddo safe. From what I've researched, the more electronics you introduce the more things to go wrong and fail, keep it simple. I can open this thing in about 5 seconds. That bottom picture is old, I now have that XD .40 that is in the picture, along with a full frame Sig P320, both firearms are equipped with Streamlight rail flashlights, and I have 2 extra mags in there and it all fits snug.

20151224_125449 (800x450).jpg

20151230_175624 (800x450).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread