Handgun Question

PSI87

Banned
Well, today my grandfather gave me a handgun of his that he said he's owned for the past 60yrs. He said the gun is probably about 85yrs old (it's in great conditon though.) I'm just curious if I need to get this firearm registered or what I should do exactly. Since it's so old I don't know if that would effect anything, and I'm 19 so I think it's legal to own (not carry) but I'm not 100% sure. If I do need to register it, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks a lot guys.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Don't know about registering it but I would not put modern ammo in it and fire it LOL!

METHICAL

Established Member
RDJ said:
Don't know about registering it but I would not put modern ammo in it and fire it LOL!

As long as it's a quality gun and in good working order, modern ammo's no problem.

I doubt you'll need to register it. What is it anyhow?

PSI87

Banned
Thanks guys, it's one of those centamental things so I may or may not actually fire it. It's a nickel plated S&W .32 6 shot revolver.

OSWNov06016.jpg

Last edited:

hurtindude

Banned
you will need a firearm license. Some states will let you own a rifle or shotgun w/ out a firearm license, but all states to my knowledge require a license for handguns and to buy ammo. I know FL requires you to be licensed if you own for any firearm or ammo.
Contact your local police department's firearms department for instructions on getting a license. Most states carry a minimum 2 year jail term for being in possession of a handgun when not licensed. It can be longer if carried concealed and you don't have a conceal carry permit.

There is no federal law that requires you to register your hand gun, or any gun. In fact I think it is against federal law for the federal government to maintain a registry of guns owned by any civilian. Some states keep records of NEW gun sales, but don't require you to register old firearms.

The FBI can keep a record of NEW guns purchased for i think up to 90 days as part of the national instant criminal background check system (that anyone who purchased a gun knows isn't so instant). Then the records must be disposed of. The gun dealer has to keep the records of the sale much longer, 7 years i think.

the gun looks to be in good shape. .32 cal you say,,, does it take black or smokeless powder?

Last edited:

PSI87

Banned
hurtindude said:
you will need a firearm license. Some states will let you own a rifle or shotgun w/ out a firearm license, but all states to my knowledge require a license for handguns and to buy ammo. I know FL requires you to be licensed if you own for any firearm or ammo.
Contact your local police department's firearms department for instructions on getting a license. Most states carry a minimum 2 year jail term for being in possession of a handgun when not licensed. It can be longer if carried concealed and you don't have a conceal carry permit.

There is no federal law that requires you to register your hand gun, or any gun. In fact I think it is against federal law for the federal government to maintain a registry of guns owned by any civilian. Some states keep records of NEW gun sales, but don't require you to register old firearms.

The FBI can keep a record of NEW guns purchased for i think up to 90 days as part of the national instant criminal background check system (that anyone who purchased a gun knows isn't so instant). Then the records must be disposed of. The gun dealer has to keep the records of the sale much longer, 7 years i think.

the gun looks to be in good shape. .32 cal you say,,, does it take black or smokeless powder?

Wow, thanks a lot for all that information. I'll make a trip to the police department tomorrow. I'm not too sure about your question, the bullets appear to be normal but I really have no idea how old they are, probably much older than I am lol.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
I dont know about all states but im pretty sure that all states require you to be 21 years of age to own and register a handgun. A firearms carry permit also requires you to be 21 years of age as well. I also know that you have to register a handgun before you can have it in your possesion ( meaning you cannot accept one as a gift unless it will be registered at the time of acceptance.). Rifles are a total different story. Like i said though, im unsure of other states, this applies to my state

cornholio

Established Member
Well. I hate to be the one to go against the grain, but you do not "have" to register your firearm in Florida. If you were to walk into any Miami Dade, or City Of Miami Police substation and state that you want to register your gun, the desk officer will look at you crosseyed. It has not been done for years.

The only responsibility as a handgun owner is to obtain a permit if you plan on carrying it on your person or in your car in a "readily available location." If a handguns serial # is checked by a LEO, the only information that EVER comes back is if the gun was reported stolen and the reporters information. The feds can do a check, but even they only obtain information on the guns original purchase from a dealer.

Store the gun in a lockbox at home until you are 21. Even then it sounds more like a collectors piece rather then any sort of protection.

METHICAL

Established Member
hurtindude said:

A license to own handguns and buy ammo? I don't know where you got this info, but I'd look for a new source if I were you.

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
PSI87 said:
and I'm 19 so I think it's legal to own (not carry) but I'm not 100% sure. If I do need to register it, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks a lot guys.

I don't know how it is where you live but here, you can buy and possess a handgun under 21 and older then 18, you just can't buy it from an FFL dealer, you can recieve them as gifts or buy them from a private seller only.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Lightning Kid said:
I don't know how it is where you live but here, you can buy and possess a handgun under 21 and older then 18, you just can't buy it from an FFL dealer, you can recieve them as gifts or buy them from a private seller only.

It doesnt matter where you are in the United States, Federal Law still controls. Federal Law states that no one under the age of 21 years can purchase a handgun.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
hurtindude said:
you will need a firearm license. Some states will let you own a rifle or shotgun w/ out a firearm license, but all states to my knowledge require a license for handguns and to buy ammo.

Not Montana. Just need to be 21 here to buy handguns and ammo.

jshen

Established Member
Go online to Guns America...that piece may be worth some money..

txyaloo

Established Member
hurtindude said:

I don't know what you're smoking, but a firearm license (FFL) is only required to deal in or sell firearms to the public. A private citizen can own a handgun or rifle without any type of license in most states unless it's classified as a Class 3 or AOW. Even with those, you just need to pay the transfer tax and pass the BGI.

If you intend to carry the handgun in FL, you will need a concealed handgun license. http://www.packing.org/state/florida/ is a good resource on this.

It's a very nice looking pistol. Looks to be a S&W .32 DA. It's not a 1st model, but you should be able to tell by the serial number what model it is. I've seen first models sell for $3000+. The later models sell from ~$200.

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
METHICAL said:
A license to own handguns and buy ammo? I don't know where you got this info, but I'd look for a new source if I were you.

Dude leave him alone. hes from Massachusetts where they do require a license to own your own testicles as long as they are for ornamental use only. Its not even worth it to own a gun in Mass bc you will go to jail for even threatening some criminal/murder with it in your own home.

Castle Doctrine rocks.

In Texas you have to be 18 to buy a rifle/shotgun and 21 to buy a handgun/concealed hangun license.

PSI87

Banned
Thanks a lot everyone. The only number I saw was 158471 on the handle. Even if it were worth $3,000 I wouldn't sell it. I think I'll take the suggestion of just keeping it in a lockbox until 21 and beyond. I do intend to carry when I'm 21 but it won't be this firearm. Thanks again guys. :thumbsup:

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
It doesnt matter where you are in the United States, Federal Law still controls. Federal Law states that no one under the age of 21 years can purchase a handgun.

Edit, answered my own question.

Oh and the what the guy above said about Massachusetts is correct. I spent 5 years living in Mass, I only feel disgust and pity for that place.

Last edited:

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
I retired from the Federal ABC agency that deals with firearms. As has been noted, there is no Federal "registry" of handguns or long guns and it is not legal for such a registry to be maintained.

Depending on State law, you may/may not have to "register" a handgyn in your State. Most States do not maintain a registry but a few do - Pennsylvania being one that keeps a record of sale of handguns. If you simply own a handgun, you are not required to register it in PA but you can if you wish. So, check on your State requirements before doing anything.

A word of caution. If you have to "register" it through a Federal firearms dealer, you may cause yourself some problems. Depending on how it is done, if you have to complete an ATF F 4473 to register it, the dealer cannot, under Federal law, give a handgun to someone under 21. So, be very aware of the State registration requirements and the mechanism used for registration before you do this.

Otherwise, it's nice to see family heirlooms stay in the family.

Users who are viewing this thread