Handgun Choice

davesbedroom

Established Member
I have a friend who is very serious about becoming an LEO. He has taken some tests and is waiting for some interviews. He asked me to help him with his handgun choice and to give him some tips on accuracy. Any tips on a good make and model would be much help. I own a Glock and would suggest he gets one because of its simplicity and reliability, but I have no idea what caliber is suggested. What do you LEOs use?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Whatever dept hires him will let him know what firearm they will authorize and usually he doesnt have to purchase it on his own.

My agency uses Glocks and Sigs! I carry a .40 cal!

Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Whatever dept hires him will let him know what firearm they will authorize and usually he doesnt have to purchase it on his own.

Don't you guys have MP5's on hand too for "sticky" situations?

Groovyash

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan

What he said.

Every dept. out there has it's own firearms policy, it will all depend on what his says. My department issues Glock 22s in .40...it's a perfectly good service weapon. That being said, our policy allows us to carry a wide selection of firearms, provided they pass inspection of our armorer, and that I can qualify with it. I carry a Colt 1991a1 in .45, as it is what I find most effective, and what I shoot best with. There are many good choices, and quite a few bad ones too, He should see what dept. policy is, and then shoot as many different weapons as possible to find what works best FOR HIM. Too many officers simply don't care about practice with their sidearms, many only pull their gun out of the holster once a year to qualify and ignore it the rest of the year... :gt:

Dan

davesbedroom

Established Member
Thank you all for your help, I will set him up with a nice Glock 22. I already have a Glock 23 .40 that I love very much. By the way, do LEOs get to buy pre-ban clips, or are you guys stuck with low capacity?

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Our department issues, and we cannot carry anything else. Glock 21. Personally, I prefer Glock 23, that's my personal gun.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I was issued a Glock 22, the 23 is way too small for my hand!!!

I want to get reissued a Sig on the next round.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
I have the magazine with the grip extension on it, makes it feel like the gun was personally built for me.

2k3cobra

Established Member
If it's within the departments guidlines I'd have him look at a Sig P226 or P229 in 40 S&W. Sig's are well engineered, reliable, and accurate. The .40 cal is a good year-round cartridge that has proven well over the last decade.

Until your friend is well versed in pistol shooting; stick with one pistol and train often. Get into some local competition like IDPA or IPSC to add a little pressure (though artificial). If you can afford it futher professional training at Thunder Ranch or such is a big bonus.

Ultimately, surviving on the street is not all about the fanciest weapon, hottest new round, or duty rig. It is about keeping your head on straight and being alert.

sbro712

Established Member
He will need a letter from his department (on departmental letterhead) stating that he is an officer and authorized for high capacity magazines and then he should be able to get the 15 or 17 round magazines.

We just got approved for the Sig .357 and I will be trading in my Glock 17 and 35 for one.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Weapon choice is critical and proficiency is a must since it's a fact that the average officer loses 90% of their accuracy/skill while under fire, so you need to be pretty sharp to survive.

However your friend should sharpen his skill with a pen since he will do a hell-of-a-lot-more damage with a stroke of his pen than he ever will with a gun, and he will use it alot more....................

:beer:

depken

Established Member
Wow, just noticed this forum. Pretty nice, I am a recently retired (because of numerous knee surgeries) Deputy from Ohio (Franklin County). Now I like the Sig. There arent to many weapons I have not fired, I was on our SWAT team for 8 years, so I have a little experience..... I also did like the Glock, but our Lt. in charge of training hated them because of the misfire issues a few years back. He had the Sherffs ear, and convinced him that it would be a liability... When I retired we were carrying SW 4516. It was.....reliable.... but I love the 45 round.
stangsare4girls, on my dept. only the SWAT team had the HK MP-5. Now that is a great weapon. A little sub-sonic ammo and a silencer.....unreal. I had one for 7 years, and when I retired I hated returning that more than anything else. In the end, it is going to depend on the dept. he works for. I would suggest that he find a handgun that is comfortable to him and to practice.....alot. When/if he gets hired by a a dept. they will issue him a handgun. As a matter of fact I would suggest a revolver for a first handgun. It doesnt requre alot of thinking to get it to work and is more forgiving of bad habits.
Great forum....glad I found it......and to all of you still active....stay safe.

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
What ever department hires him, they will issue him a service weapon. I'm with FordSVTFan........I also have a Glock 22 http://glock.com/ The 23 is just simply too small. I think they were make for people under 5'10". Me being 6'4" my hands almost swallow it.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
I'm 6'2". I think I like it so much because of how much I hate the 21 that I have to carry for work. Feels like I'm carrying a goddamned howitzer.

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
One of the main reasons I chose to cross-train into AF Security Forces is b/c of the array of weapons they're qualifed on. M9, M16, M60 and one or two others.

Originally posted by stangsare4girls
Don't you guys have MP5's on hand too for "sticky" situations?
I love those things! I got to fire it on a joint-service exercise in 1998. I played a "terrorist" :( but I was named Yellow Team leader :). I have a small scar over my left eye to prove it (long story). :bash:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Originally posted by zzzzzer
One of the main reasons I chose to cross-train into AF Security Forces is b/c of the array of weapons they're qualifed on. M9, M16, M60 and one or two others.

I love those things! I got to fire it on a joint-service exercise in 1998. I played a "terrorist" :( but I was named Yellow Team leader :). I have a small scar over my left eye to prove it (long story). :bash:

We are issued three weapons.
Glock 22
H&K MP5
Remington 870

Users who are viewing this thread