Hand held Tune vs Performance shop tune

tooquick

Established Member
I'm new to tuning a vehicle as I have always owned fox bodys.I want to know would be better tuning my stock 2011 5.0 with a hand held tuner or taking it to a performance shop and allowing them to tune it for me with a dyno.I have looked into both but haven't decided what is better.I assume if a shop does it i'll have to take it back every time I want to bolt on or change the tune for whatever reason.Any professional info would be greatly apperciated.

chrisheltra

Established Member
I dont care for canned tunes they leave a lot on the table and are generally "in the ballpark" were as a dyno tune from a respected shop will be more spot on for your car.

Neither a canned tune or custom tune will be up to date if you start adding mods after the tune. Eventually if you mod your car enough you will have no choice but to go with a custom tune because a canned tune will not suit your needs.

Last edited:

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Love my custom tunes from Bama performance/American Muscle. Unlimited tune revisions for life and my car runs great. Others use Lund, Blow By Racing, Amazon etc. They good also. Tuning this car is completely different from tuning the older injected push rod motors. Our sponsors have a LOT of the needed experience to play with the tuning on this motor. I'm sure some of them will step in.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
I'm new to tuning a vehicle as I have always owned fox bodys.I want to know would be better tuning my stock 2011 5.0 with a hand held tuner or taking it to a performance shop and allowing them to tune it for me with a dyno.I have looked into both but haven't decided what is better.I assume if a shop does it i'll have to take it back every time I want to bolt on or change the tune for whatever reason.Any professional info would be greatly apperciated.

you will get differing opinions about this question

where is GA are you located?

your options are:
-email canned tune-this is what comes preloaded in a hand held tuner
-custom e tune-this is emailed to you but is customized for your vehilce specifcally
-dyno tune-
-remote tune-this is done by doing street runs or dyno runs and sending the datal and AF back to your tuner to have the tune optimalized and returned via email

the most important criteria for choosing your tuning route is using a reputable tuner who knows the vehicle that you have,who has years of expereince and knowledge and the background and qualifications..problem is that there seems to be a tuner on every corner these days so just getting dyno tune for the sake of getting a tune on the dyno can be a dangerous situation if you dont have a tuner who who has all the mentioned credentials..

I also recommend talking one on one to any tuner who is mentioned when you start a thread like this and make your decision based on your discussion with him.. you have to find the right fit for YOU..

thousands have used Rick @Amazon by remote e tuning and dyno tuning..if you would like to have him call you just PM your # to me and I will arrange it

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Give amazon a call, they will hook you up with the best/safest tune!

I've had BAMA, LUND, BBR, but AMAZON takes the cake

:beer:

tooquick

Established Member
I'm located in Blackshear G.A. about 45 mins from the F.L. line 45 min to an hour from Savannah.

SicShelby09

Banned
I may get an amazon tune too. But I would not need the programmer. How much for a standard 93 octane tune for a completely stock 11' GT?

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
our custom tuning option is $185..it consists of unlimited tunes,unlimited support and free revisions to cover future mods for as long as you own the vehicle

J666Z

JohnnyZ06
Established Member
I'm located in Blackshear G.A. about 45 mins from the F.L. line 45 min to an hour from Savannah.

I'd say for your location if you're looking for a custom dyno tune. Eric @ Brooks Speed.

But I know one of our mail order Xtreme tunes would make you a very happy camper.

Before we dyno tuned my car when I got it, we installed a standard mail order tune into my 2011 automatic and I went from a 13.18@106mph to a 12.28@113mph. Same night... within 15 minutes of each other.

tooquick

Established Member
I'd say for your location if you're looking for a custom dyno tune. Eric @ Brooks Speed.

But I know one of our mail order Xtreme tunes would make you a very happy camper.

Before we dyno tuned my car when I got it, we installed a standard mail order tune into my 2011 automatic and I went from a 13.18@106mph to a 12.28@113mph. Same night... within 15 minutes of each other.

Id talk to Rick about e tuning remotely ..he remotely tuned a 2011 gt to 738 HP

I have heard good things about Brooks speed.I have several friends who use him.
I havent looked into e-mail or mail order tunes not sure how that works.Ill have to look into those tunes to. Next step is a Nos kit.

J666Z

JohnnyZ06
Established Member
Mail order tunes are simple. You give the mods that are done to the car. Any respectable tuner will have tune files that they have written that they can conform into a tune file that'll work well for your setup.

It's quite simple and mail order tunes tend to be more on the safe side simply b/c they are mail ordered. The tuners don't have your car on a dyno. I can't speak for everyone, but I know CHRIS JONES, BBR's tuner, doesn't add a lot of timing, he keeps it very conservative and he also tends to keep the air fuel at a very safe level. N/A typically around 12.4-12.6 and Forced Induction 11.4-11.6

Users who are viewing this thread