Hand Gun Question (LEO's Only Please)

bandit_48032

Established Member
I'm in the market to buy my first hand gun and I'm sending out app's to different police departments throughout the country. :rockon:

I'm currently working at a juvenile correctional facility and one of my co-workers is also a part time police officer in a small town. I told him I'm looking for a hand gun and asked him what kind of gun most law enforcement agencies issue. He told me usually S&W or Glock 40 or 45's. He also told me some departments issue weapons but sometimes you have to buy your own.

I guess you can never start target practicing too soon and I'm wondering where I should go with this. I would like to buy a weapon I can start target practicing with, and more than likely be able to use on duty wherever I'm hired. (assuming they don't supply a weapon). I know qualifying on your weapon is a big deal I want to prepare the best I can.

Which brand/gun/model does your department issue? Do you like it? Would you prefer something else?

My friends family owns a gun shop and he lives for firearms and hunting. He told me to go with a Glock 40. So as of right now thats all I have to base my decesion on. I don't even know what model Glock 40cal I would go with though because of all the different models. :shrug:

I'm looking for all kinds of feedback here and I know I'll hear all good things. I'm also open for any target practicing and shooting tips. :coolman:

SPD03Snake

2 Snakes in my Garage...
Established Member
Dept Issued: Sig Sauer P229 .40 cal... Also personally have a P220, P226, P239 and a GSR 1911. All are great guns. I really like Sigs.

As for the Glocks, I own several of those also..
Both are great guns and it is really your preference to which gun fits and feels better to you.
If you are looking at the Glocks in .40 cal, the 22 is the full size, 23 is the compact, and the 27 is the subcompact.
Look at all of them and then make your decision..
Hope this info helps.

stangkid

Established Member
*removed by moderator* Author asked for LEO answers only. That means those LEOs who are verified by the mods to actually be L.E.O.s

jshen

Established Member
You will find most Departments issue their firearms for liability reasons. Especially if they are "accredited" PDs. Everything, gun, ammo and training must follow strict department guidelines. Therefore, if you choose a "larger" dept., be prepared to use whatever they issue, including ammunition.

Since that has been said, most PDs allow you to carry offduty pretty much anything you can qualify with at the PD range. My preferance is the Glock 29 10 mm which I also carry at work when in the field..but I am 35 years into handgun carry and can use this weapon ....very well. I would recommend to a novice, the Glock 23, which will carry 12 rounds and is of a size that can be concealed. As with any semi auto...get to know it before you carry it..It is easy to find a Glock armorer as Glock trains them knowing they will sell more handguns to PDs if they do..so getting work done on it if necessary is easy. Around here, finding a Sig or H&K armorer to work on handguns is impossible...

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
I wouldn't buy a pistol right now if you feel that you are close to getting hired on somewhere. Why? Because the firearms instructors at the academy will teach you how to shoot (they will cover everything, don't sweat it). Think of it this way - academy students with prior firearms experience must "unlearn" the bad habits that they might have picked up. Some of the guys with prior shooting experience were the ones that struggled the most during firearms training/qualification.

Trust me, the firearms instructors WILL teach you how to shoot a handgun, as well as a shotgun if you are going to be MCOLES certifiable in MI.

Also, the type of pistol varies by agency - it could very well be a waste of money to purchase a certain pistol and then later find out that your future agency does not allow for that pistol to be carried on duty (or even off duty).

Just some food for thought.

jshen

Established Member
COBRA90GT said:
I wouldn't buy a pistol right now if you feel that you are close to getting hired on somewhere. Just some food for thought.

Very good advice...I didn't want to say that as I am an avid shooter and I know how it is to want a handgun...but what Cobra90GT said is 100% right on...

bandit_48032

Established Member
I have been looking through the Glock homepage and I was wondering what the difference is between the Glock 22 and the Glock 23? I know that the Glock 23 is somewhat smaller but is that really the only difference?

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
bandit_48032 said:
I have been looking through the Glock homepage and I was wondering what the difference is between the Glock 22 and the Glock 23? I know that the Glock 23 is somewhat smaller but is that really the only difference?

Yes, the 23 is smaller than the 22. Check http://www.glockfaq.com/ for further info on Glocks (great resource). Glock has a very convenient line-up that goes like this: the G22 is the full size 40 cal, the G23 is the "compact" size 40 cal, and the G27 is the "sub-compact" size 40 cal.

Their 9mm series is similar, and so on... ie - G17 --> G19 --> G26

kcast

LEO
Established Member
*Removed by Moderator*

Author asked for LEO only answers, that means you must be a verified LEO on this site to avoid any confusion from those who arent.

If you are a f/t sworn LEO pm me to get verified.

jshen

Established Member
Glocks

One of the many reasons I prefer Glocks are that any caliber & size glock will accomodate a higher glock capacity magazine. Therefore, the more handy Glock 23 which carries 12 rounds and has a 4 inch barrel will allow you to the 15 round Glock 22 Mag in it...It just extends the grip a tad. 4 inch barrel is plenty for a handgun..and anymore, IMHO, is worthless as rifles then come into play at greate distances. As to my interest in Glocks..I own 2 model 23's, 1 model 27, 1 model 29, and interchangeable barrels to shoot .40 in the 10mm and .357 in any of them. Is that utility or what!!!

Again I shoot a 29 Glock [ 10 rd mag ] yet carry 2 hi-cap 15 round mags as back up...Even with the ultra compact 27, you can use the Glock 22 15 rd mags for backup as they lock right in.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
COBRA90GT said:
I wouldn't buy a pistol right now if you feel that you are close to getting hired on somewhere. Why? Because the firearms instructors at the academy will teach you how to shoot (they will cover everything, don't sweat it). Think of it this way - academy students with prior firearms experience must "unlearn" the bad habits that they might have picked up. Some of the guys with prior shooting experience were the ones that struggled the most during firearms training/qualification.

Trust me, the firearms instructors WILL teach you how to shoot a handgun, as well as a shotgun if you are going to be MCOLES certifiable in MI.

Also, the type of pistol varies by agency - it could very well be a waste of money to purchase a certain pistol and then later find out that your future agency does not allow for that pistol to be carried on duty (or even off duty).

Just some food for thought.

Cobra90GT is right on target (pun intended). Just FYI, our standard issue is the S&W 5906 9mm, SWAT carries the Sigs.

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
These guys have it right.... don't buy anything right now. If you want to get the feel of a gun... head to a range and rent something.

I have been a firearms instructor for years now.... what I would tell you to do is take a firearms class with your local NRA or gun club. This way you will not come to someone like me down the road with a lot of bad habits I have to correct. Or better yet... come to me as green and wide eyed as possible... we will teach you everything.

On guns specifically.... I carried a Sig P229 as a Fed and a Beretta 96F as a local.... I could shot both great.... but when I went to the Glock with Blackwater.... I was all over the place. Guns shoot different, feel different kick different and so on.

kcast

LEO
Established Member
kcast said:
*Removed by Moderator*

Author asked for LEO only answers, that means you must be a verified LEO on this site to avoid any confusion from those who arent.

If you are a f/t sworn LEO pm me to get verified.

who is "me"? I'll PM you w/ details

jshen

Established Member
Roush S3 said:
. Guns shoot different, feel different kick different and so on.
..Man you are so right...I could never get used to the long-long trigger pull on the first shot of the Beretta. I do like the "every shot is like the first" in the Glock. I understand the H&K LEM is pretty nice and am looking for one to try out around here..Again, finding certifed armorers has been a real problem in my area.

Opps, parden the thread theft...

bandit_48032

Established Member
Thanks for all the help guys, I finally went out and bought the gun on my 21st birthday (Wed 27th)

I really like the 22 and the 23. I decided to go with the 23 because it just felt better in my hand. I'm a short guy with little hands so I guess thats why! haha

Now I'm just gonna go up to the local gun club and hope they have a training course I can check out. Thanks again for all the help!

( I bought it at Gander Mountain for $499.99. I was surprised, they had one in the showcase and like 4 or 5 new ones in the back. All the other places around were asking $500-$520 for the gun.)

MyGlock2340cal.jpg

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
Nice choice!! I love the model 23. I currently own a model 21 (.45), but the 23 will be my next purchase. :thumbsup:

bandit_48032

Established Member
I have a question about field stripping my weapon. It's in reguards to removing the slide.

When I pull the slide back and push the two little levers down on each side of the gun, I have to pull the trigger in order for the slide to come off the base of the gun. Is this normal?

I would think that the slide would just come right off after pulling the slide back and pressing the two little levers down.

Users who are viewing this thread