Halloween Costume - swords in public

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
Hey Guys,

This Halloween, part of my costume contains two replica swords from the movie 300. These swords are made of metal but will of course be unsharpened, and will remain non-concealed, in their Scabbards on my back. I've done a few google searches and got mixed answers regarding the legality of carrying these props. Did a search for the word "sword" in the donut shop and found virtually nothing.

Besides not doing the obvious dumb shit like brandishing it in a threatening matter, etc, are there any precautions I need to follow in case I bump in to a LEO? In other words, will I get fined, or have them confiscated if I just leave them on my back? What about transporting them in my car? I'm in California in various parts of the Bay Area, like San Francisco.

Thanks in advanced.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Hey Guys,

This Halloween, part of my costume contains two replica swords from the movie 300. These swords are made of metal but will of course be unsharpened, and will remain non-concealed, in their Scabbards on my back. I've done a few google searches and got mixed answers regarding the legality of carrying these props. Did a search for the word "sword" in the donut shop and found virtually nothing.

Besides not doing the obvious dumb shit like brandishing it in a threatening matter, etc, are there any precautions I need to follow in case I bump in to a LEO? In other words, will I get fined, or have them confiscated if I just leave them on my back? What about transporting them in my car? I'm in California in various parts of the Bay Area, like San Francisco.

Thanks in advanced.

Simple answer is to fix them to the scabbards so they cant be removed.

jshen

Established Member
The thought of wearing that kind of costume in the bay area - you may need them to protect yourself from the guys.....I'm pretty sure there isn't a "halloween exception" to weapons possession :poke:

Last edited:

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
i agree remember to bring protection:lol:

Yah yah, the SF jokes abound. I know there's no "halloween exception" to weapons possession, but that's exactly my question. Is it illegal to carry a sword on you in public?

Facts that should be considered (which creates more questions):
1. Not sharpened (so technically is it even a "weapon" just flatten metal rods? I guess anything can be a "weapon", even a wooden sword as you can still beat someone silly with them like a wood bat).
2. If it still is a "weapon", they are not concealed, clearly visible on my back... Legal?
3. They will not be unsheathed in public as to not create a public disturbance.

Honestly, I'll be attending a couple costume parties on private property most of the day and night. It's just the bits in between that I was wondering about. Like if we went to get some starbucks while in costumes. Am I illegal? What about driving in the car, do I have to take them off my back?

Conflicting stuff on the net I've read are things like, you can have a sword on you if it's part of your culture and are attending a sanction festival in celebration of that culture. Or you can have a sword in public when traveling to a martial arts studio but only while going straight there and back, not detouring. To a self-claimed crimal 30 year defense attorney who says there's nothing unlawful in carrying it on you as long as it's not concealed, at least state law wise. This is why I figured I'd try here...

And yes, fixing them to the scabbards sounds like a good idea - I would like to not destroy them and keep them wall decorations after Halloween.

Last edited:

Mizzell5000

65 Mustang Master
Established Member
Yah yah, the SF jokes abound. I know there's no "halloween exception" to weapons possession, but that's exactly my question. Is it illegal to carry a sword on you in public?

Facts that should be considered (which creates more questions):
1. Not sharpened (so technically is it even a "weapon" just flatten metal rods? I guess anything can be a "weapon", even a wooden sword as you can still beat someone silly with them like a wood bat).
2. If it still is a "weapon", they are not concealed, clearly visible on my back... Legal?
3. They will not be unsheathed in public as to not create a public disturbance.

Honestly, I'll be attending a couple costume parties on private property most of the day and night. It's just the bits in between that I was wondering about. Like if we went to get some starbucks while in costumes. Am I illegal? What about driving in the car, do I have to take them off my back?

Conflicting stuff on the net I've read are things like, you can have a sword on you if it's part of your culture and are attending a sanction festival in celebration of that culture. Or you can have a sword in public when traveling to a martial arts studio but only while going straight there and back, not detouring. To a self-claimed crimal 30 year defense attorney who says there's nothing unlawful in carrying it on you as long as it's not concealed, at least state law wise. This is why I figured I'd try here...

And yes, fixing them to the scabbards sounds like a good idea - I would like to not destroy them and keep them wall decorations after Halloween.

don't worry your self about it too much its halloween ppl everywhere are going to have some kind of costume on and some are going to have some type of fake weapon on them.. just try not to wave around the sword like your going to kill someone and you should be fine for the whole night..

txyaloo

Established Member
don't worry your self about it too much its halloween ppl everywhere are going to have some kind of costume on and some are going to have some type of fake weapon on them.. just try not to wave around the sword like your going to kill someone and you should be fine for the whole night..

:lol: And your advice comes from being a LEO or prosecutor in California?

oldmodman

Established Member
Back in the seventies I did Halloween as a terrorist, Palastinean head scrarf, eyehole ski mask, the works. And I carried a real HK91A3 as my weapon of choice. Plus a bunch of grenades. The bolt was removed from the rifle but that was the only change to make it legal. Only got asked once to see the rifle (by an officer) and as soon as he saw that it had no bolt he was fine. But this was pre Taliban. I imagine today that SWAT would be called out.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I would not suggest carrying two metal swords, I don't care if they are sharp or not! Here in Texas, that will land you in jail. It would be best to have them made of plastic. I think you can make your point just as you would having them be made of metal, without the fear of being arrested.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
Wow - I honestly thought the law would be more clear about it if it's so cut and dry, 'you'd be arrest on the spot'.

I guess in that case I'll go find some wooden swords to put in to the scabbards on amazon. Seems as though they can be had for under 10 bucks. Or is that illegal too, 'wood swords'. :dw:

jf4boogie

Established Member
In that area, a "sword fight" is bound to errupt. I say be prepared.

J/K man...have fun! good luck.

exdeath

Established Member
Even better would be to just remove the blade and super glue the pommel/handle to the scabbard.

Even better, if not the best, would be moving to a place without sissy weapons laws and mandatory public disarmament policies.

Not just for Halloween, but many other reasons.

Swords? In Arizona I can walk around legally with a loaded unconcealed 'assault rifle' on my back, even when it isn't Halloween.

Really puts into perspective how paranoid and delusional your politicians are in those places where having a piece of plastic with 11 holes in it instead of 10 gets you more time than a child molester.

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
Even better, if not the best, would be moving to a place without sissy weapons laws and mandatory public disarmament policies.

Not just for Halloween, but many other reasons.

Swords? In Arizona I can walk around legally with a loaded unconcealed 'assault rifle' on my back, even when it isn't Halloween.

Really puts into perspective how paranoid and delusional your politicians are in those places where having a piece of plastic with 11 holes in it instead of 10 gets you more time than a child molester.

If you do that in downtown Austin, Dallas, or Houston on Halloween as part of a costume the police will ask you to leave. While walking around with a rifle in Texas unconcealed in most circumstances is completely legal the rest of the year, doing so while surrounded by a large group of drunk people is probably not prudent, and I can see why restrictions are in place.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
6) "Illegal knife" means a:

(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;

(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;

(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;

(D) bowie knife;

(E) sword; or

(F) spear.

Falls under the Unlawfully Carrying Weapons Sec. 46.02

txyaloo

Established Member
get a concealed weapons permit and youd be good to go (at least in most states)

Not in Texas. See Iceman's post. Our CHL law only allows the carrying of concealed handguns... Nothing more.

Plus, it would have to be concealed. Two swords in scabbards on someone's back isn't exactly concealed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread