Half shafts?

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
Hi all!

I snapped one of my half shafts and wonder if anyone know where I can get a replacement? I've seen pricey some aftermarket ones that are sometimes called "Stage2" and sometimes "Stage5" depending on who sells them. They are in the $1500 range and after reading a bit they appear to just be marginally better than stock!

I had put down some 1.7s 60' when it snapped during elimination rounds, I guess they just had to many starts at them. It seem quite challenging though to find a replacement :eek:

Martel

Established Member
If memory serves Thunderbirds had the same CV shafts as the '99s. Alternately you could upgrade to '03-'04 shafts for a bit beefier setup. But you would have to change more than just the shafts for that.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
I was considering a 03-04 pumpkin, the pinionflange is apparently different but is it possible to just replace it with the -99 one?

I've seen something about the Thunderbird shafts, maybe they are easier to find.

01yellercobra

Established Member
For the pinion flange it's just a matter of swapping the 03/04 unit for the 99/01 unit.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You will also need new knuckles I believe and a new differential.

Knuckles are the same 99-04. The spline count is the same on the outers for all years. It's the inner spline count that changed from 99-01.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
I found a shop that can manufacter shafts, finally got the car on the lift today and removed the halfshaft. Turned out that the shaft isn't snapped, It's the spline grooves in the inner joint that have been totally cleaned out.

So new dilemma, now I need to find a joint :D The shaft itself looks good, the groves are as straight as Chuck Norris and same with the grooves on the outer shaft. I thought the shafts were tired but they look good.

99-venom

Established Member
I have a set of half shafts that came out of my 99 that I need to get rid of. I pulled them due to finding a decent deal on a 31 spline 4:10 center section. They have a 100k miles on them, but the boots are still intact. I think they have a bit of play in the universal joint, but you might be able to use them for parts. The splines are all intact.

Let me know if you're interested in them.

Users who are viewing this thread