half shaft....please help

svTx01

Established Member
After taking my car to the ford house I found out that one of my halfshaft is messed up. The cheapest one I can find is around 350. Does any one know were I can get one cheaper? Will an 03 fit my 01?

svTx01

Established Member
well its been making a noise coming from the pass. rear end. So they put it up on the lift and drove it up to about 30. And then they told me that the tire was moving every where. At first they told the price was like 500 for a new one but i know a guy that can get it for me for about 350. but thats still to much. anybody ever replaced one before?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I broke a stock one last year. Cost my warrany company around 1100 total.

Just buy 03 shafts and be done. They are better than your 01's.

WHITE99SNAKE

Established Member
I bought one for under 100.00 with shipping. Core return is 25.00 I pay for shipping. Total 75.??

It is a rebuilt 99 axle. Looked like brand new. I then paid a mechanic in my car club 100.00 to replace it. Works perfectly now.

I still have the link the online part supplier where I got it at home. (I am at the office) I will post it later today just so you have the option.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
I broke a stock one last year. Cost my warrany company around 1100 total.

Just buy 03 shafts and be done. They are better than your 01's.

Just buy a solid rear and be done with it :thumbsup:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
The 99 and 01 halfshafts are not the same. The 99 shafts are 28 spline, whereas the 01 and 03/04's are 31. Be sure if you purchase from a source other than a supplier or Ford that you get the right one. As for changing one out.. do it yourself. I can do them in about 30 minutes now. Easiest money you will ever save. Do a search on here or on the internet for halfshaft replacements, there is a ton of info. Also, if you don't have the tools, you can borrow them from Autozone. Here is a step by step from Joe Lynch and the tools needed.

http://www.lx.net/jlynch/

Are you certain that the halfshaft is the issue and not a wheel bearing? When a halfshaft breaks, it usually breaks completely... meaning it will not continue to turn the wheel since it is not longer a complete halfshaft. If the wheel bearing is bad in the knuckle/a-arm/whatever you call it, then that will produce a noise from the brakes rubbing the caliper and the wheel will wobble all over the place. Make certain it is the halfshaft before buying one.

Last edited:

WHITE99SNAKE

Established Member
Here is the sight that I bought my rebuilt axle from.

http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/parts/autopartswarehouse/index.jsp

Unfortunately they don't have any 01's as I checked the site for you. They don't have any more 99 28 spline axles anymore either.

I would search the web or look at a Raxle or some other kind of axle for your car. Some of the other suggestions about your problem being a bearing or hub problem could be the case as well. I happen to have a bad hub on the front making noise and new new ones in the trunk ready to go on tomorrow.

Good luck to you!

RoyWoods

Established Member
You can get '03 half-shafts for $224.64/each from Steve (see sticky). Something to consider, and something that could be better answered by someone else is: "Would it be a horrible idea to have an '03 half-shaft on one side and an '01 half-shaft on the other?" I'm sure it'd work, but it may not be the best idea. If it is a "bad idea," then get Steve to get you a price for an '01 half-shaft.

svTx01

Established Member
Are you certain that the halfshaft is the issue and not a wheel bearing? When a halfshaft breaks, it usually breaks completely... meaning it will not continue to turn the wheel since it is not longer a complete halfshaft. If the wheel bearing is bad in the knuckle/a-arm/whatever you call it, then that will produce a noise from the brakes rubbing the caliper and the wheel will wobble all over the place. Make certain it is the halfshaft before buying one.[/QUOTE]

Well now that u metion it, it does sound more like a wheel bearing than the half shaft. What u describe is what is exactly happing. Thanks for the info I will look into that.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
No problem. I have had a broken halfshaft AND I have had a bad wheel bearing, so have seen the symptoms of both. Just don't let a mechanic try and pull one over on you. Even if it is the wheel bearing, you can do most of it yourself as well.

Users who are viewing this thread