hairline scratch....need help!!

Glacius

8 UR POS
Established Member
my girl accidently put a good sized scratch on my mystichrome. Its not deep, i tried using the zaino stuff to fill it in. It did an ok job but you can still somewhat see it. It is not deep at all, is there anything i can do to get it all out?

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Carefully polish it out, it takes time but its worth it. I love mystics but damn i would be so paranoid driving it.

mystic04

Established Member
The clear coat on our cars is so soft that anything will put marks in it.i stopped using a car cover for that reason i had marks every time i took it off. Granted it wasn't a 200.00 cover neither.
Luckey our touch up paint Code # G6 matches very well.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
i had the dog jump up on the wife's 06 gt and left some scratches from his nails on the bumper cover.
i used 2500 grit sandpaper and wet sanded them out then polised the area with 3m polish and my porter cable.
as long as the scratch isn't through the cc you should be able to do this.

camunaro

Established Member
Glacius said:
my girl accidently put a good sized scratch on my mystichrome. Its not deep, i tried using the zaino stuff to fill it in. It did an ok job but you can still somewhat see it. It is not deep at all, is there anything i can do to get it all out?

only reason i didnt buy that colour....too freaken scared to have it scratched

usa97svtcobra

1997 svt cobra
Established Member
Glacius said:

Zaino will not do anything. You need to polish it out first, then seal then wax. If you can catch your finger nail in it chances are it will always be there. Don't worry, get a Porter Cable and polish it out start out with less abrasive and work to a more abrasive polish. I have done many cars with amazing results. I am sure if you even did a search on this forum you will find the exact process. Would love to expand on this but I am pressed for time.

jpk

Established Member
My Mystichrome is causing me serious mental health issues. I can indeed confirm that if you would have bought one, becoming obsessed with the paint is a real possibility.

I use the Mystichrome as a daily driver and constantly worry about environmental damage, rock chips, and spider webbing in the clear coat. I have done a decent job a protecting against rock chips (3M Schotchcal) and when I do get them they are fairly easy to fix with Langka and the Mystichrome touch-up paint. I have managed to avoid environmental damage by parking in a garage or using a car cover. But recently my job has me working in an office with no covered parking and I constantly worry about hail, rain, or even sun.

Where I've been a total failure is with micromarring/spider webs and scratches. The paint looks excellent to most folks and even to me in the sunlight. But get it in a parking garage with overhead lights and it looks like a disaster. I think it looks like someone rubbed sandpaper all over the car.

No matter how careful I have been with washing it and covering it, I seem to have done a terrible job on the clear coat. It's been enough to drive me insane knowing that everytime I wash (even using the two bucket method and a foaming soap gun) and cover the car it is just putting more lines in the clear coat. But when I don't wash, feeling all the grit embedded in the paint drives me just as crazy.

I am at the point where I might need to stop driving the car and become a shut-in.

Now, as for your sratch, you might give the touch up paint and Langka a try if it was deep enough to go through the paint. Polishing won't do squat if the scratch went through the clear coat. I have had good results with chips, but find it very hard to fill in scratches. You have to use a very fine brush and push the paint into the scratch, but get as little as possible smeared outside the scratch. Then while it is still wet you have to very carefully wipe away the paint that is outside of the scratch with Langka. It's really hard to do on very fine scratches. The paint easily gets pulled out of the scratch because it is such a tiny amount and then you have to start all over again.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Glacious...Depending on how deep it is, it may polish out.

How did she in induce the scratch? Jewelry/ring/other hardware? If it is through the clear, it will have to be filled. If it is a surface scratch in the clear, something as simple as Meg's ScratchX *may* take it out.

JPK...you sound like you are a candidate for learning to use a Porter Cable and the correct polishes.

The swirls you have are indeed wash induced marring. If you're using the two bucket method correctly with a foam gun and good (automotive) soap, then you are well on your way.

What do you use to dry the car? What are you using for a mitt/soap?

jpk

Established Member
Hi Mblgjr -

Yeah, I think it might be time to use a DA polisher. I've done a few spot treatments by hand with swirl remover to remove any really obvious spiderwebs, but never the whole car. I have just been using glaze and wax to keep the paint clean and protect it, with occasional clay barring on dirty panels. The paint is very clean and shiny except for those dang swirls that show up under the lights.

I have ordered some orange and black pads and am going to borrow a friends Porter Cable.

As for washing, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have gone through several mitts and sponges. I usually use a Pinnacle cotton chenille sponge or mitt. I recently ordered a Pinnacle microfiber mitt (http://www.pinnaclewax.com/pinmicmit.html) and it seemed to do no better. I always start with the upper panels, and work my way down. I rinse the mitt frequently, but maybe I'm not getting enough grit out? I also just recently bought the foaming soap sprayer thing because I figured out that I wasn't getting enough sudsing action from the bucket. Let me know if those mitts are bad.

Or maybe once I polish out all the spiderwebs and stick to the new washing routine, the clear coat will stay in better shape?

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
If its a hairline scratch and its not trought the clear, you can wetsand it...always go with the LEAST aggresive method possible!

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
If its a hairline scratch and its not trought the clear, you can wetsand it...always go with the LEAST aggresive method possible!

Angel

aLL JaCkeD uP
Established Member
countrysquire said:
Carefully wet sand it, then hit it with a PC polisher. Just be VERY careful not to go through the clear coat.

Too much pressure or staying on the spot for too long will cause a burn mark.

If it is through the CC, but not through the paint, an acid wash, then color wash and sand w/polish may do it. This, of course, should be done by a Professional. This was done several times on a Redfire i once owned and worked great each time.

As for washing the car, the least One touches a mitt or other foreign object to the car the better. If the car is just dirty by driving and not on dirt roads, a real good spray down, prior to the foaming soap, then rinse thoroughly, no need to touch a mitt to the car. I do this all the time on my DD car and no scratches or swirls, even on the matte black striping. Follow the wash with a spray detail and helps the wax job last longer. Unless it is a high quality microfiber, use pure white cotton while detailing. You shall then see how much contaminents come off the car and guage better how often to clean and / or detail.

As many have suggested here, some good websites regarding auto care include autopia, zaino and meguiars.

Users who are viewing this thread