Had my 2.9L whipple tuned...

03mgtermi

Established Member
Dyno002.jpg

Runfile007 - 8/5/2011 09:48:00AM - 97.49*F, 30.00 in-Hg, Humidity 35%, STD: 1.04. Max Power 545.92, Max Torque 486.17

Car made only 15# boost, on 15* timing, ~11.8afr, with IAT2's at 130*F during the runs, 93 octane.

Dyno is a Dynojet at Fastlane in Houston, TX. I feel like they did a great job with my tune and worked hard on it to make everything right. Definitely did not cut corners and I feel my tune is VERY safe.

While 500+ rwhp is pretty exciting to achieve, I can't help but feel a little disappointed with the results of my dyno day yesterday. To be honest I was expecting 600+.

Stats:

Stock longblock with stock crank pulley.
RAI, MAF, accufab FBTB
Stock exhaust manifolds with 2.5" catted-x and cat-back
Whipple 2.9, 3.5" pulley
Lethal budget return style fuel system with 63# injectors - have plenty of fuel left.

Looking for your opinions on whether my numbers and expectations are realistic, and suggestions as to why my boost is low, how much timing i should/could run, where to go from here to make 600+

Is the heat really bringing me down this far or is there something else going on here?

Thanks guys.

2k4Terminator

Established Member
15lbs.?!? Turn it up! And your in Houston.... Go E85! And turn your timing up, safely... You'll achieve 600+ no problem.

cobracide

Established Member
Yeah, the timing is low too. You are missing out on a lot of HP. It's sort of a waste of a 2.9L being at 550. A 2.3L would get you close to 650hp on a good tune and 93 octane.

Last edited:

03mgtermi

Established Member
i have no idea why the boost is so low, most other people with this same setup are pushing at least 17-18#'s, or more. I called Whipple and they said to check the crank pulley size (which doesn't make sense because if anything it'd be making more boost than expected if I had a non-stock crank pulley), but otherwise that boost level was normal. they stated that 17#s on a stock motor with stock exhaust was average so if i had a catback and x-pipe, and the boost gauge was off a pound, 15 is realistic.

i don't want to just swap pulley's for more boost until i find out why im not making the boost i should be on my current set-up. i do agree that 15* of timing is waay low.

cobracide

Established Member
yeah that is what some ported cars make bro

Close.

I mean even with long tubes (didn't see that in your mods) dropping the boost, you are still way low. As mentioned too - the timing is low too. Whom put the blower on? Double check the install. Can you verify the boost with a calibrated gauge?

Last edited:

03mgtermi

Established Member
no longtubes, i have them and an offroad x, but haven't had time to install them yet. this tune is on the stock manifolds.

i installed the blower, it's installed correctly. i was very meticulous with every step and took my time over the course of a few months (no time off for me).

I can verify the boost, and 15 is accurate.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Here is what mine made yesterday. Ignore the 725TQ. More like 590

[youtube_browser]SOmXVF1AMs0[/youtube_browser]

03mgtermi

Established Member
Here is what mine made yesterday. Ignore the 725TQ. More like 590

[youtube_browser]SOmXVF1AMs0[/youtube_browser]

that's amazing...still 4.6L? i know from following your build you have ported heads, aluminator, full exhaust etc...remind me what your pulley and boost combo is??

anyone have any ideas on why the boost is so low? can anyone educate me on engine timing, i.e it's relationship with intake temps and fuel types?

postalbunny

Established Member
Curious as to the low boost as well... 03mgtermi, any word back from fastlane as to why they think it's only 15lbs? With no long tubes or anything dropping the boost... perhaps there is bypass or something that's not closing?

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
that's amazing...still 4.6L? i know from following your build you have ported heads, aluminator, full exhaust etc...remind me what your pulley and boost combo is??

anyone have any ideas on why the boost is so low? can anyone educate me on engine timing, i.e it's relationship with intake temps and fuel types?

I'm at 21* @ WOT with 93 octane. Others here run 23* with same octane. 15* is like ____________ low. That's just my 2C though

03mgtermi

Established Member
Curious as to the low boost as well... 03mgtermi, any word back from fastlane as to why they think it's only 15lbs? With no long tubes or anything dropping the boost... perhaps there is bypass or something that's not closing?

good idea, i need to check the boost bypass and make sure its working right.

lxtasy93

The Wheelman
Established Member
my car makes almost 20 psi with the 3.50 pulley on my 2.9. Something is definitely hokey on your set up. My car make 571 at 6000 rpm with only 12 degrees of timing in it. I'm just waiting for Lethal to bring back the budhet return kit and I'm expecting 630 plus out of it.

03mgtermi

Established Member
my car makes almost 20 psi with the 3.50 pulley on my 2.9. Something is definitely hokey on your set up. My car make 571 at 6000 rpm with only 12 degrees of timing in it. I'm just waiting for Lethal to bring back the budhet return kit and I'm expecting 630 plus out of it.

what kind of IAT2's were you seeing? Fuel?

any idea where i could be loosing the boost?

gabe1530

Banned
you should run a whipple 3.25 pulley or a RR 3.3 pulley. that will get you to 17lbs. you should at least be running 17* in timing. your on 93 octane as well so you are super safe.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Why is the timing so low? With only 15psi you can up the timing to atleast 20*...

Users who are viewing this thread