Had a nice run with a new Lotus Esprit

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
See a red Lotus getting on the highway behind me a bit. So I watch to see if he wants to play and he does. This is a very new 2002 Lotus Esprit GSpirt in red....a very sharp looking car.

He is behind me and I see him get on it, so I downshift to see if he can catch up but he can't and I put some cars on him up to 120. As traffic opens he moves to the right and I let him get a head of steam up to see if he can pass me so I drop to 4th and pull away again. There is too much traffic to keep doing this, so I think I made my point and let up so he can do the fly by in the right lane.

That Lotus is a great looking car, but it sure feels good that my American V8 can hold its own. Ford finally gave us a car to kick ass with.

I expect on a curvy track, it would be another story. But for today....I WIN!!!!!!!! :D

Last edited:

Venmus

Established Member
Had the same story with a white one. He came up behind me at high speed and I down shifted and took off, put a few cars on him before I had to shut down. Then we did it again side by side, I put about 2 cars on him. I think he was pissed because he wouldnt even look over when I exited the highway.

Good kill man

robiferretti

Established Member
those cars are pretty quick, its the common case that the owners do not know how to drive them, my friend owns one, and there is no redline in the car the tach winds up to 7000 and thats it, (so most owners dont want to find out where the fuel cut is intentionally on their cars, so they shift between 6000-6500 which is where a lot of their power is. I raced my friend and dogged him when he shifted there, it was a whole nother race when he drove the car better, just a fyi they are stock 115 mph cars

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
The Lotus has a lot going for it, 350HP/295TQ and only weighs around 3000 pounds, so I expect it to be a very fast car. I agree that a lot of guys are afraid/unwilling to run their cars at high rpms. So they loose some of the speed they should get if they max out the gears.

If you do the math, I still make 100HP/TQ more to the wheels. So it should easily overcome the weight advantage he has, no? All I know is it looked like he was doing his best to pass me and he could not do it.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by needspeed
The Lotus has a lot going for it, 350HP/295TQ and only weighs around 3000 pounds, so I expect it to be a very fast car. I agree that a lot of guys are afraid/unwilling to run their cars at high rpms. So they loose some of the speed they should get if they max out the gears.

If you do the math, I still make 100HP/TQ more to the wheels. So it should easily overcome the weight advantage he has, no? All I know is it looked like he was doing his best to pass me and he could not do it.

It should be enough to over come the weight advantage. I know it is with the LS1 C5's. What I do know is that supposidly every 100lbs = .1 of a second slower in the quarter. So, hypothetically say he was putting the same ammount of power to the ground in his 3000lbs car that your putting down in your Cobra (ill just round up to 3700 hundred) he should be able to beat a Cobra by 7 tenths of a second, thats without taking traction and aero dynamics into concideration though, providing both cars are driven exactly the same.

I know that doesnt mean much at the higher end but just interesting...

robiferretti

Established Member
i never go off of equations, i just race...you can equate that if some guy runs 10.3 and you do the same stuff to your car you ar going to run 10.3...not necessarily, now i am not saying BS or anything, i'm just saying you cant sleep on those cars...a stock lotus esprit TT will beat a stock 03 cobra :) (of course with equal drivers, conditions, same gas, etc)

03CobraBro

Established Member
Eh mayhaps... It only weighs about 100 pounds less than the C5 and the C5 has more torque. Espirit, from what iv heard, is a high 12 low 13 second car. As far as the stats go, it would more or less be a drivers race.

robiferretti

Established Member
yeah my friend isn't a very good driver and ran 13.1@113 in his esprit, so the car definately has potential, they can also be cheaply modified to be made fast, they aren't intercooled from the factory for 1

hj16

Established Member
Very nice kill.

At the next meeting you've got to let us know where he hangs out. I've got a taste for something exotic.

Droptop Snake

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
Originally posted by beecha91
I hit the light one night with a yellow one. He wouldnt look over nor race me :shrug:
New TKO trans before spring
Dart blocked 331 w/ MORE boost in the works

02' Silver SVT Focus- #1124 -AEM CAI, UD Pulley, OffRoad Pipe, MBRP 2 1/2 Catback, Z-Engineering Mount, Audiophile, Sunroof

Maybe the Focus intimidated him... :-D

I know, just kidding.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by robiferretti
yeah my friend isn't a very good driver and ran 13.1@113 in his esprit, so the car definately has potential, they can also be cheaply modified to be made fast, they aren't intercooled from the factory for 1

That I didnt know (the intercooler). Sheesh you'ed think for 70 thousand dollars and Lotus'es classic Twin Turbo set up they would have included an intercooler in there somewhere. Of course though that Esprit is still a work of art IMO. :)

Last edited:

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Originally posted by hj16
Very nice kill.

At the next meeting you've got to let us know where he hangs out. I've got a taste for something exotic.

I wish I knew where he was from or where he was going, he was on 88 heading east from the toll before route 59. You don't see to many exotics around here, so it would have been nice to meet the guy........but no can do.

Users who are viewing this thread