Had A Friendly Pacing With A Saleen Extreme

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I went to a local dealership the other day to buy some touch up paint for the 03 :rollseyes. As I was leaving the building, I heard some talk that they had just sold the yellow saleen extreme convertible off the showroom floor which I have seen in there for about a year due to their insane markup. I thought wow thats cool, better keep a look out for this guy in town. I hop in my car and take off,,,,,,,guess who is behind me? The saleen!! I guess the guy had to be in his early 50's who obviously had nothing better to do than pay a $15,000 markup on a $70000 extreme. But anyways the guy drove right next to me for about 5 miles! No racing, just friendly cruising! 2 of ford's most awesome creations side by side in beautiful harmony! I guess it was just the fact that both of our cars are zinc yellow and almost everyone was turning their heads! :coolman: :thumbsup:

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
It wouldn't have been polite, but you should have shown him that he paid too much ;-)

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I didnt want to provoke anything because I knew his car only had 10 miles on the clock LOL but trust me I had my hand on the shifter ready to go just in case! I have quite a few mods on my cobra now so I know it wouldnt have been a problem!

OverToad

Established Member
That'd be a nice little cruise, but DAMNIT you shoulda raced him ;-)

Some of the Saleen owners I'd met (back when I had one of those things) refuse to dyno and 1/4 any of the E's. I dyno'd my s281 and was horribly (but not unexpectedly) dissapointed. I'd love to know if the E actually produces the hp Saleen claims it does.

StangD281

Established Member
They run mid-low 12's, and run 10.5 psi from a Lysholm....I would have to say that they are no slouch in the HP department.

jdub03

Established Member
When I bought my Cobra, I asked the Saleen/SVT rep to be straight with me because I was trying to decide on spending the extra cash on the "E" of go with a Saleen Cobra.

He said both vehicle pull very similar to one another (stock of course). He told me you really have to get on the E to get the big numbers out of it, but he really could not tell the difference in power. He did say the Cobra was understated in power and the E might be a bit on the high side.

I also saw a few posts on dyno pulls from a E and they we not the greatest. I think it was something like 335 -340 rwhp (if I remember correctly), but the car only had a couple hundred miles on it.....

I think both cars are unbelievable.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
jdub03,

I think I speak for everyone when I say, post pics of that Saleen Cobra. :)

SVT4ME

Established Member
The Saleen always has the more exclusive car but 03 Cobra stock vs stock will eat up the Saleen.

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Originally posted by SVT4ME
The Saleen always has the more exclusive car but 03 Cobra stock vs stock will eat up the Saleen.

Well then my 03 with pulley, chip, intake, and exhaust would have ripped him a new one!

OverToad

Established Member

An s281.......most certainly.
An E? I dunno..........but that's what I've been dying to find out ;-)

This year, they are claiming 445hp. If you factor in claims they made on their previous years cars, that would mean that the E MIGHT put down 375 to the wheels. With an '03 Cobra in the mix, it's a drivers race.

I loved the Saleen I had......until I got to know it. It's kinda like a stripper.......beautiful on the outside.......severly lacking on the inside :p
Maybe the E's do produce what they say, but Saleen's track record for substandard mediocrity tells me they probably don't....

Users who are viewing this thread