h-r springs

mustang81

Established Member
going to buy h-r springs but want to know if anybody has put the race springs on their car. m-m said alot of people have used them what do you think.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I talked to the engineer there at HR and felt very good about it after i am going to buy the same for my vert . tell me how you feel about them after installed since my car wont be delivered until July BTW that engineer said they tested them on the car where i dont think some of the others do. Do u have any wheel hop propblems

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Can you measure the ride hight from ground to the wheel lip on the front and the back for me. Advertised and real drop in hight is sometimes different.

Onelfastlride

Established Member
Perhaps a more accurate measurement would be from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender lip. The ground isn't always level.

I'd be interested to here the height's to compare.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I always have found when your looking at 1/4 inch kinda hard to tell to the center. And depending on who does it how they hold the tape. Thats why I always ask to put on level ground such as in the garage or flat drive, no one in the car. Would like to know how full the gas tank was at the time is helpful. I think gas is about 9lbs a gal so differenace of a full and empty tank changes it also. So let me know and I will pull my measurements back out THANKS big time for this!
Red fire: Were you asking about pics of mine or Hair balls?

Smrgol

Here's a before and after of the H&R Super Sports on my 'vert. THere's some more pictures on this page.

I made the following measurements (inches) on my garage floor, which is fairly level but not perfect:

Before, After, Drop
Front Left : 27.2500, 25.5000, 1.7500
Front Right: 27.1250, 25.5000, 1.6250
Rear Left: 27.9375, 26.7500, 1.1875
Rear Right: 27.8750, 26.8750, 1.0000

The front clip is about 4.5" off the ground. So low that most standard alignment shops can't handle it. The drop on the left front was initially even lower (0.25") until I noticed that the tire was low and put some air in it (I just discovered the tire's got a screw in it that's providing a slow leak :rollseyes).

I'm still looking into why the drop was more extreme up front and less than advertised in back. It looks great but it bothers me a little. I've checked the installation and it's correct. I had MM C/C plates installed at the same time and they were in the negative camber orientation. I switched it to the positive orientation and got the least negative camber I could for the drop and that didn't make a measureable difference.

In the meantime, I love the look and the car feels tight. It's a much more solid feel in handling now without any serious kidney punching harshness.

Cobra10thaniv:

FYI, gasoline weighs 6.1 lbs per gallon :).

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Yea your right about the gas that was a mistake on my part must have been that dislexia kicking in. I was thinking about 6 typed 9.

Just so happened I went to the SVT dealer tonight and measured 12 cobras! on the lot verts and coupes. they all were on level ground but Im sure the tank was empty. All were 28.5 rear and front 27.25 build dates on window sticker was range of March to May and there was a older one of last year Nov2002 that ran rear 28.75.

Maybe the reason for my reading higher in the rear than yours must be #1 gas #2 no road miles to settle the IRS in ? just juessing. #3 was the case of beer and your golf clubs. #4 All those parts in your trunk that never made it into your older Cobra

Our 2000 Saleen
Front 26.25
Rear 27.5
hint under 1/2 tank so 6gal. ?
btw: this is racecraft springs and non IRS no parts in the trunk
hard to measure clip to yours with the ground effects

I remember reading a thread where a person was swaping out to coupe springs in his vert trying to stop wheel hop. SVT parts dept ask the date it was built or old spring # because they made 3 springs! for the 03 and needed it for ordering. He did try it and found his vert ran almost a 1" higher in the rear.

I thought it was tough driving the Saleen around. Im not sure anymore about that drop how has the driving around been. I mean there must be driveways into gas stations and so on? Your picks look definatly lower than the Saleen stance. I just noticed your pics you dont have factory rims and it isnt noted. what size tires are u running

Saleen has Pirelli 7000
front P255/35-18
rear P265/35-18

Onelfastlride (sorry My head was in my Bottom side) your correct some how the best way would be to the center of the wheel to the lip if u could get it easy. Tire and rim really throws it off

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by Redfire2003Cobr
Any pictures on a vert?

z2.jpg

low2.jpg

z5.jpg

Smrgol

Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv

*snip*

I thought it was tough driving the Saleen around. Im not sure anymore about that drop how has the driving around been. I mean there must be driveways into gas stations and so on? Your picks look definatly lower than the Saleen stance. I just noticed your pics you dont have factory rims and it isnt noted. what size tires are u running

*snip*

Yeah, there are rough spots around town for sure :). A little light bangin' and some scrapin' and most speed bumps are off limits now.

I've got 275/35R18's on the '00 Cobra R's.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Well i just learned today at a ford car show that Saleen is doing a few 03 cobras. I will find out what they are using for springs.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by hairball
so what do you think about the race springs? yes or no

Yes, just dont go looking for huge bumps in the road to crash into.. Its fine if you're an aware driver.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Im not to much into the race springs. think the ride is a little to rough for me. At least the ones I have been in. My opinion there are mmany more thing a person should do when doing the coil over race springs. Juess it all comes down to what are you going to use the car for and how much of a harsh ride is to much for sacrafice of 1g corning you need on the way to work or to the car shows.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
When i called Roger at H&R he claimed at 1.75 front and 1.6 rear instead of the advertised 1.5 (due to the iron block and supercharger) i think this might be to low. I have hard enough time with the saleen where it is at. BTW my alignment guy said if my car was any lower we would have to get the caster camber plates. Just so you know killer cobra. I want to drive the car, without constantly worry of every gas station enterance and dips everywhere. Saleen hieght is at the cut off for watching enough. Dang, Maybe i can check into he eibach ones. How about if i replace the spring pads with the urethane ones that give me a little extra height? H&R spring # Roger gave me was 51659-2

Killer Cobra

Established Member
I'm getting 19" I should be fine.. I hope! if not I'll get something else. It's cheap. I think it should just work ok with the 19" . I'll aready have to worry about bending the 19" so I'll be more then careful. She's a garage queen. Comes out only when the weather is nice and I feel like hurting somebody! ha

Users who are viewing this thread