h&r sport rear spring install problem

03svt4life

Established Member
I am removing my steeda springs from my car , installed front fine, rear i dropped catback, removed low pro bolts dropped irs, rear springs fell out, installing new h&r sports no isolators, i placed them in, everytime i tried to lift rear subframe up, i just lift car off stands, i took springs out just for the hell of it, rear subframe goes right in, im thinking of renting spring compressor, but every how to on here no one seems to have this problem... ANy ideas?

04screamingvert

Established Member
I did not have any trouble like this when i did the install of my H&R race springs. Follow the directions of America muscle would be my advice.

ripnesscobra

Established Member
We had to have 3 people sit in the trunk to get my buddies subframe to line back up when installing rear h&r race springs... Good luck with your install...

shurur

Established Member
ok...well I just installed my H&R race springs without lowering the subframe.

I had low profile bolts on the rear subframe and was working alone...and was too chicken to lower the IRS alone.

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

If you put the IRS together without the springs in..you can free up the LCA as much as possiible to get it as low as possible...but you will still need to compress the spring to get it in because the arms will hit the IRS subframe....maybe an inch or so...at 600/800 pounds..hmm.

1. Remove the UCA knuckle joint..mark the position of the camber bolt
2. Remove lower shock mount bolts
3. Remove swaybar endlink too (replace endlink and swaybay bushings while your in there).

Spring may go in with a pry bay..install spring top first...slick up the arm to slip spring over lower isolator...hmmm.

Or you will need to compress spring and use the dreaded and dangerours pipe clamps method......as no compressor with fit well in that space because H&R race springs have dead coils that will trap the compressor in the spring when installed.

Use at lease eight clamps...install and jack LCA to relieve spring pressure on clamps and cut clamps...pluck out clamps with pliers..wear Gloves and googles.

H&R sport springs may not have the close dead coils so a compressor might work...you will need a 5-6" 3/4 pipe to eat up some of the length of the compressor bolt.
Ford sells a compressor and clones are made for $180...not sure it would work though.

Talk to a Ford mechanic who has actually installed IRS springs by using a compressor or prybar.

Scared?? you should be...Have some friends help you with the IRS Drop method.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread