H&R New Edges/Suspension guru's.... alignment issues

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
So I took my car to the tire barn and alignment center and they said A) my car is seriously out of alignment and B) so much so that the rear right will not be able to be aligned back to factory specs.

a few Questions,
  1. Is this truth or do I need to go elsewhere?
  2. Would the fact that my rear tires are bald all over matter?
  3. Why is one side able to get back to factory spec, but the other not?
  4. Assuming that raising the ride height might help the problem (in theory getting it close to factory), would putting spacers in the rear springs (to raise it 1/"4 or a 1/2") help achieve factory alignment if indeed the guys at this place are correct?

Lastly, I'm stuck with 17x8's and I don’t like the look of the rear tires so far in the wheel well (they're on 255/40's) see sig. So I’d like to put a 5/16 spacer in the back to help achieve a better look.

A) Would this only compound the alignment issue,
B) Is there anything (generally speaking) wrong with using a 5/16 spacer?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Did you get a print out of the alignment specs? Do you know what they couldn't get to spec in the rear? Camber?

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
Most shops only set stock spec range. Contact your local SCCA forums board and find a few shop sponsors. Stock cobras have a lot of rear steer specified in by factory specs. You can buy adjustable kits that allow more adjustment.

gmsux

Established Member
You need to find a privately owned shop preferably one used to working on performance vehicles that will provide the actual specs and you can judge for yourself. Aligning to factory specs is not necessarily a good thing.

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
front
total toe: .09
steer ahead: -.18

left front
chamber: -1.1
caster: 3.3
toe: -.14

right front
chamber: -2.1
caster: 3.8
toe: .22

rear
total toe: .46
thrust angle: -.17

left rear
chamber: -.9
toe: .06

right rear
chamber: -1.7
toe: .40

RcodeStang

Established Member
I'm clueless as far as IRS alignment is concerned so I won't say anything about that, but your front camber is a mess. Can they not get either -1* or -2* on both sides? You want it matching, and -2* is not optimal if you're worried about tire wear more than cornering ability.

On the spacer questions:
over a 1/4" will require longer studs. A 5/16" will also not make your rear wheels flush like you want. Pick up a 1" or 1.25" hub centric spacer that has it's own studs

spacer_5lug.jpg

Like those. I picked up a set of 1.25" hub centric C&C'd aluminum spacers off ebay for around 80 shipped last year. My 8" stock wheels sit just about flush with the fenders.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Did they even attempt to align the rear? I had issues with the passenger tie rod being stubborn on mine after being lowered on the race springs. A few hours with a torch and big wrench we got everything broken loose and were able to adjust where we needed it.

Like stated above, find a shop that actually knows these cars and you'll be fine.

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
I'm clueless as far as IRS alignment is concerned so I won't say anything about that, but your front camber is a mess. Can they not get either -1* or -2* on both sides? You want it matching, and -2* is not optimal if you're worried about tire wear more than cornering ability.

On the spacer questions:
over a 1/4" will require longer studs. A 5/16" will also not make your rear wheels flush like you want. Pick up a 1" or 1.25" hub centric spacer that has it's own studs

spacer_5lug.jpg

Like those. I picked up a set of 1.25" hub centric C&C'd aluminum spacers off ebay for around 80 shipped last year. My 8" stock wheels sit just about flush with the fenders.

thanks. I dont know anything about alignments, so i dont know what i want. I do know i dont want my tires to wear. I'm about to put some new ones on there and i want them to last.

As far as the spacers go, i dont want it to look too crazy. 1" might do that, but i don't know. Got a pic of your set up?

thanks

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
Did they even attempt to align the rear? I had issues with the passenger tie rod being stubborn on mine after being lowered on the race springs. A few hours with a torch and big wrench we got everything broken loose and were able to adjust where we needed it.

Like stated above, find a shop that actually knows these cars and you'll be fine.

no they didnt align it yet. but sounds like i need to take it to a performance shop. that's fine, i have one in mind. would have been nice to get it done all at once but oh well, rather have it done right.

gmsux

Established Member
Do you have Caster camber plates? If not, that will take care of balancing the camber in the front. -1* is normal. -2* is not that bad. It would be good to have them more equal. The toe is irrelevant as it is easily adjusted. The caster is fine but not very high, again improved with CC plates. The right rear camber Should come in closer than that. Did they try to adjust the eccentric? Or did they just take readings and say they couldn't fix it??

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
Do you have Caster camber plates? If not, that will take care of balancing the camber in the front. -1* is normal. -2* is not that bad. It would be good to have them more equal. The toe is irrelevant as it is easily adjusted. The caster is fine but not very high, again improved with CC plates. The right rear camber Should come in closer than that. Did they try to adjust the eccentric? Or did they just take readings and say they couldn't fix it??

it does have cc plates.

they took the readings and sorta explained them to me. they didnt do anything else. but they did say they could align everything BUT the rear right. supposedly it's too off. :shrug:

gmsux

Established Member
Yeah, you need to find a different shop. To just take readings and say what they did is weak sauce.

RcodeStang

Established Member
it does have cc plates.

they took the readings and sorta explained them to me. they didnt do anything else. but they did say they could align everything BUT the rear right. supposedly it's too off. :shrug:

That's straight up lazy if you have camber plates and they thought it was ok to set you up with a 1* camber difference in the front. Find a new shop.

-1* camber is probably best if you're that worried about tire wear and aren't blasting the car around turns constantly.

Have them set as much caster as the plates allow. I'm running 5.5* and it feels great. Not sure if I could have gotten more but after an hour of trying to get them even I told my buddy doing the alignment that 5.5* was fine.

Here's the only picture I've taken of my car with the spacers installed. I then realized that it's not the greatest angle for judging fitment... It's basically flush with the fender. My friend has 1.25" spacers and 17x9 03 cobra wheels and he says they stick out a tad past the fender.

(mach 1 wheels are 17x8 +30 offset for reference)
Photo0033.jpg

EDIT: I completely forgot I'm SRA and you're IRS. I'm not sure if there is any difference in track width between them. I still think it's safe to say that a 1" spacer would do you well.

Last edited:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I'm going to go with the masses here and say they just didn't feel like dealing with it. A lot of shops "set the toe and let it go." Find a place that actually cares and you should be fine.

On the front, about -1° camber and as much positive caster as you can pull while keep the sides equal. You should be able to get a whole hell of a lot more than +3.5° with C/C plates. On the rear, you want around -1° camber. I've actually heard people setting the rear camber as negative as possible without ill wear characteristics. Camber is set in the rear by an eccentric bolt. If there really is a problem back there, check to make sure that bolt isn't broken - not literally broken, but if the weld between the head and washer broke. It's the one that attaches the knuckle to the UCA.

venomnous99

Twin Turbo'ed
Established Member
Take it to Fisher on Kingston Pike West Knoxville, tell them Ken sent you (the Twin Turbo Cobra). The guy they have knows what your car will need based on what you have done and what suspension parts you have. At least the guy who did mine. He did a great job on mine, after two other shops failed, including one that cost me a set of tires in three days. Good luck...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread