H-pipe removal question

97RioRedSnake

SVT
Established Member
I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the nut closest to the starter off of my cobra's manifold to h-pipe flange. I was wondering if there is a trick to getting it off or a certain combination of swivels/ extensions that would work best. Thanks.

uofipilot

Established Member
You're gonna need some universal/swivels and extensions, like you said? Are you using air tools? When we changed the clutch in mine, we worked on that one for a while with an impact, and couldn't get it out. We didnt want to waste more time, so we just left it on. I would suggest a lot of pb blaster and a lot of torching.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I had the same problem with mine

what finally got it off was a big ass extension
and like a 2 1/2 foot wrench

and +1 on using PB

98diablo

Established Member
i had the same prob. had to use an acxytlene torch to break it loose!!! had to get it glowing red then a 3 foot breaker bar!!! it was a pain.

mackj66

Established Member
We kept hitting it with the impact wrench and that wasn't working to well. We had determined that we were losing too much torque due to all of the swivels and extensions.

So, we set the impact down and put a typical ratchet at the end instead and it loosened right up.

svtcobralover

Established Member
Just use 2 long 1/2 inch extensions and a socket or maybe add a half inch swivel to it and it should come off. But the Key to it is to get some lubricant inside of it. A breaking lubricant would work best. If not some W40.

Users who are viewing this thread