H/C 300 srt8 vs c5zo6

daves03svt

Established Member
Last weekend the wife sends me out for takeout, so like any good husband I take the long way there to enjoy the cool fall air and hit the loud pedal a few times. On the way back I see a blue c5 coming up on me fast. I slow down to let him catch up, and he roars past me. It's an electron blue zo6, and it's loud as all hell.

We end up cutting through some side streets as we make our way to the expressway, him goosing it and me following. Finally make it to the four lane expressway, sound wall on one side, concrete center divide and no intersections for a mile or two .

I pull alongside and honk it off. I am rolling about 15mph and lay into it, jumping a quick car. The old girl is roaring and second gear has me slowly stretching out the gap to two cars. Third gear and the sound of the kooks lt into Corsa extreme off the sound wall is glorious. He has stopped my pull in fourth and the gap is around three cars. I look at my speedo and am just passing 140mph.

I glance into the distance and see the light we are rapidly approaching is yellow, so I get on the brakes. Mr z attempts the flyby, not paying attention to the now red light until the last moment. He slams on the brakes hard and barely stops, half a car into the intersection.

I roll up next to him, and z driver is all smiles and complementing my car. He wants to chat so I tell him to pull into a lot. As we pull away from the light, the poor z is making a terrible grinding sound. He limps it into the lot, and we both start looking for the cause. I look under the z and see a metal cross brace under the motor is bent and dragging. Turns out when he slammed the brakes, the car nose dived so bad that the brace hit the ground and got all messed up. I break out my tool kit from the trunk, and manage to zip tie the brace up out of the way enough for him to get home.

The z driver was a cool guy and very appreciative, he offered to buy me a tank of gas, but I declined, told him I was happy to help. We then talked cars for a bit. He had arh headers, no cats, corsa catback, cai, fast and tune. Claimed 410rwhp. Car was gorgeous and sounded nasty. Was happy with the way my old boat performed. She just passed 130k on the stock shortblock, trans, rear etc, and never given me a problem. Most recent dyno after the Kooks lt had me at 490rwhp, 455rwtq. We shook hands and headed our separate ways, him with a slightly damaged z, me with cold takeout and a pissed off wife waiting at home. Was it worth it, hell yes hahaha. Thx for reading

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Nice kill, but LOL @ 410hp.

Not without a cam anyway.

I love beating vettes. Nice numbers from your car as well.

kaz109

Established Member
Great story, both cool car owners and a great run . The vette losing make this the bet kills toy this year! Lol

onspeed

Was it some sort of aftermarket chassis brace on the C5? Other than the front air deflector, that's designed to bend, I can't think of anything else under the car that could possibly contact the ground under braking.

Also, is it just H/C on your car? Impressive numbers if so... I thought 6.1L H/C cars were dyno'ing in the 430-440rwhp range?

onspeed

Good Kill OP!!

Those are bolt-on numbers lol

I google'd this real quick since I wans't sure, on the dodge forums most people are barely breaking 400whp bolt ons...

Arent they 405chp stock?

So full exhaust/intake/tune couldnt get them to 410ish?

Bolt-on cars usually put down around 380whp. Stock is ~345whp. The FAST intake isn't doing anything for him on a stock cam/heads.

Zemedici

Established Member
I google'd this real quick since I wans't sure, on the dodge forums most people are barely breaking 400whp bolt ons...

Bolt-on cars usually put down around 380whp. Stock is ~345whp. The FAST intake isn't doing anything for him on a stock cam/heads.

ohh...man that sucks for bolt ons to give 35whp. hahaha Thanks bud :beer:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

Catback, CAI, Thermostat, tune cars are between 400-410 from what I've seen. That's not even full boltons. Dynos are different tho so numbers can vary.

daves03svt

Established Member
Thanks guy's. No idea how well z's respond to mods, so I will leave the number war to you experts.

My car is close to full bolt on, inertia heads, SrtMax cam, ported intake, full exhaust. I'm leaving some power on the table running the SrtMax cam, as I put it on never expecting to swap heads, manifold etc. as for srt8 numbers, my car laid down 360rwhp 360tq stock. 382hp 386tq with cai and canned tune, 422hp 416tq with cam, 460hp 436tq with heads and manifold, 490hp 455tq with full exhaust. All dyno runs were at the same shop, same dyno.

I was fully expecting to lose this race based on the sound his car was putting out, and the weight disadvantage I had. Figured I would need 100hp more than the vette to win, and the results seem to confirm that. Was fun and felt good to finally meet up with a vette willing to run, bonus that the driver was cool and I was able to help him out. Thanks again guys

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Damn OP 38rwhp with heads and a ported stock intake? Either way good kill and for helping the guy out.

Prototype007

Established Member
Good kill and thumbs up for helping a fellow racer out.

I'm sure 02WIFE would take you both out though with his Camaro! (excuse my unnecessary comment lol)

We shook hands and headed our separate ways, him with a slightly damaged z, me with cold takeout and a pissed off wife waiting at home. Was it worth it, hell yes hahaha.

Best part of the story lol!

daves03svt

Established Member
Damn OP 38rwhp with heads and a ported stock intake? Either way
good kill and for helping the guy out.

May not seem like much gains, they are not the fanciest heads out there. Stock valves and all. I got a great deal on them though, only 700 for the heads and manifold. I got all of my mods for a good price, took advantage of vendor holiday specials. Hell, most expensive part on my car is the corsa catback hehe. In the end all the parts seem to work well together, 130rwhp gain for less than $2500. Not too bad in my book. Of course it's nothing like a $300 pulley swap and tune haha damn I miss those days. Hopefully next spring I will replace the old boat with a new supercharged boat.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
May not seem like much gains, they are not the fanciest heads out there. Stock valves and all. I got a great deal on them though, only 700 for the heads and manifold. I got all of my mods for a good price, took advantage of vendor holiday specials. Hell, most expensive part on my car is the corsa catback hehe. In the end all the parts seem to work well together, 130rwhp gain for less than $2500. Not too bad in my book. Of course it's nothing like a $300 pulley swap and tune haha damn I miss those days. Hopefully next spring I will replace the old boat with a new supercharged boat.
I guess you took it for the opposite of what I was surprised about haha. I was surprised you got that high of a jump in power from just those two mods. Just goes to show I don't know as much as I thought I did about pushrod motors.

daves03svt

Established Member
Oops hahaha, no worries. There are some vendors that claim huge numbers with their heads, but they also command a high price. The hemi doesn't respond to head cam swaps as well as the ls motors. I went with a tried and true set and they have performed great for me. I have about 70k on the heads/cam, and have never had an issue. To tell you the truth, the mods that I feel made the biggest difference is the full exhaust. It really woke the car up on the top end, she pulls and pulls up top now. I really need to make a vid, as the car sounds great with my setup.

03-dsg-gt

Established Member
Oops hahaha, no worries. There are some vendors that claim huge numbers with their heads, but they also command a high price. The hemi doesn't respond to head cam swaps as well as the ls motors. I went with a tried and true set and they have performed great for me. I have about 70k on the heads/cam, and have never had an issue. To tell you the truth, the mods that I feel made the biggest difference is the full exhaust. It really woke the car up on the top end, she pulls and pulls up top now. I really need to make a vid, as the car sounds great with my setup.

Which heads are you running? Just bought a 300c srt8 myself and am looking around at some. Your numbers are pretty impressive and sounds like you got a good deal.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Was it some sort of aftermarket chassis brace on the C5? Other than the front air deflector, that's designed to bend, I can't think of anything else under the car that could possibly contact the ground under braking.

Basically this, i can think of such a thing happening. You likely ziptied the air deflector.

Catback, CAI, Thermostat, tune cars are between 400-410 from what I've seen. That's not even full boltons. Dynos are different tho so numbers can vary.

You are correct sir. Since dynos vary and are just a TUNNING TOOL. It is very possible that said Z put down the 410 on a dyno. On the average 02-04 c5z06's put down 38X-40X rwhp with those boltons and tune.

Last edited:

daves03svt

Established Member
Which heads are you running? Just bought a 300c srt8 myself and am looking around at some. Your numbers are pretty impressive and sounds like you got a good deal.

Inertia motorsports performance heads and SrtMax cam. They also offer big valve heads which will give a bit more power, but are more $. They are a great group to deal with and I highly recommend them. Pwr is also a good hemi shop, I know some folks who have their heads and cam setup and they run strong as well. If you have a ton of money to spend and want every last hp, you can look at hhp-high horse performance. They make a lot of claims, and some folks swear by them, but I couldn't justify the costs for my needs. Have fun with your srt8, they are great cars and can surprise a lot of cars out there, especially once modded.

Users who are viewing this thread