Guys with steep gear ratios, how do you like them?

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
Hey guys.. I have recently decided to go with a steeper gear for my car. I am currently running 3.73's, and i am having to shift into 4th way too late at the track. I have been looking at the gearing calculators and it looks to me, that a 4.10 is my best bet. According to my fastest recorded MPH thus far, and the current tire size I use. Also, i have no immediate plans for more power, unless you count the cooling mods.

Who else out there has run a steep gear at the track (drag strip, not road course)?!?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I have 4.10s on my Cobra with stock wheels...never been to the track...I love them...not sure if that helps answer your question...

VincodeY

Established Member
steeper gear means tranny. A shorter gear is what you are wanting. I would go 3.90 as they seem to be the gravy for these cars. 4.10 may find you without enough traction.

whippledsonic

Established Member
Hey guys.. I have recently decided to go with a steeper gear for my car. I am currently running 3.73's, and i am having to shift into 4th way too late at the track. I have been looking at the gearing calculators and it looks to me, that a 4.10 is my best bet. According to my fastest recorded MPH thus far, and the current tire size I use. Also, i have no immediate plans for more power, unless you count the cooling mods.

Who else out there has run a steep gear at the track (drag strip, not road course)?!?

4.10s and 275/60/15= perfect for me at the track. 6000-6200 rpm at the stripe. i will try to anwser any questions u got. :beer:

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
4.10s and 275/60/15= perfect for me at the track. 6000-6200 rpm at the stripe. i will try to anwser any questions u got. :beer:

exactly what i am looking for. Is this with the power level listed on your sig? At my current power level, 4.10's and a 26" tire will net me about 6300rpm at the back door.

whippledsonic

Established Member
exactly what i am looking for. Is this with the power level listed on your sig? At my current power level, 4.10's and a 26" tire will net me about 6300rpm at the back door.

yes, thats with the power level i'm at. that 275/60/15 is 28" tall. yes i did grind to get the 15" to fit on the rear. did try last year to run the bfg dr 315/30/18 with the 4:10 gear and ran out in 4th way early, had to try, to see what i needed. the above combo works great for me. i'm racing this coming weekend and going to try to leave closer to 6000rpm. want a 1.5,1.4 60 ft. currently getting 1.6 . i am also lowered and was concerned about rubbing the rear tires, but i just set my drag shocks on the stiffer side(where you should be) and had no rub problems on the tire. hope this helps. pm your cell# and lets talk. just talk to a guy in new jersey sat evening wanting to know about my combo. more than willing to help, i know how frustrating this can be.:beer: p.s. if you want to watch my dyno run and my 10.87 run, go to the west forum and on the 2nd page, look for (king mikes run) my friends posted it.i'm no king.:rockon:

whippledsonic

Established Member

just noticed that you were solid axle, sweet! no grinding if you want to go with 15".:rockon:

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
just noticed that you were solid axle, sweet! no grinding if you want to go with 15".:rockon:

exactly! im pretty dead set on the 4.10's... i considered going 4.30's but knowing that i will end up going ported blower and a shot, the 4.30's will be too much even with 28" tires.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
I would like to continue this discussion. I am thinking about moving up to a taller gear. 3.90s or 4.10s

Currently:
3.55s SRA
MT ET streets 26"
upper only car

Been a best of 1.56 to 60', ET is below.

I would probably move to a 28" stiff sidewall ET drag, as well as put a set of HPM mega bite lowers in to try to get it to hook. Right now with the 26" ET street it spins almost the whole way through 1st with a 3-3500 clutch drop.

With the ET streets it is sometimes possible to pull through the traps in 3rd, tapping the rev limiter twice. So putting it down in 4th still pulls but don't know about the ET.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
04yellow, I would definitely get a good set of control arms. Even my cheepo upr's are a dramatic difference from stockers. Also, I would go 4.10's. I just recently installed mine, and the car is a friggin animal! Heading to the track tomorrow, weather permitting, to see what is nets me.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
steeper gear means tranny. A shorter gear is what you are wanting. I would go 3.90 as they seem to be the gravy for these cars. 4.10 may find you without enough traction.

I would like to continue this discussion. I am thinking about moving up to a taller gear. 3.90s or 4.10s

Currently:
3.55s SRA

Just to clear up the terminology:
Steeper (lower) gears are numericlaly higher
Taller (higher) gears are numerically lower

A 4.10 is a lower or steeper gear than a 3.55 (which is numerically lower than a 4.10)

A 3.55 is a higher or taller gear than a 4.10 (which is numerically higher than a 3.55

Steep/lower..4.88..4.56..4.30..4.10..3.90..3.73..3.55..3.27.ect...Tall/ higher

One major factor in your question is: Do you plan on adding any more power?
If you are content with what you have gear it for optimal performance, If you may considerably up the power you may want to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread