Guys with pro 5.0 shifter...

Slobra

Established Member
Do any of you have a slight notchiness in your shifter? Ever since I installed this, it seems harder to get into gear. And twice, I had to force it into 1st gear. :dw: I had almost the same problem with a pro 5.0 shifter in my old TA as well.

sam

Established Member
yea,

had one in my 2001 bullitt. did not like it. Left the stock one in my cobra.

2814v

Established Member
I dont have a 5.0, but have a tri-ax and it is normal to be a bit notchy. when the trany is cold mine is very notchy, but as it warms it smooths right out. You should never have to force it into gear. I would check the install and the bolt stops.

04SVTCobra

Established Member
My 5.0 seems a bit notchy at times. But I find that if I press the clutch all the way in it seems to work better. It's weird because I had one in my old 2002 SS Camaro and it was so smooth.

Rio

i had the same problem when i first installed the pro 5.0, then i realized the boots were causing it to bind.....try removing both boots and shifting it.....if it shifts nice and smooth, then your boots are binding too...just trim them until it shifts smoothly...goodluck

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
get a firewall adjuster if you dont already have one, compliments the pro50 very well

FKing1

Established Member
Firewall adjuster allows one to adjust the point at which the clutch takes hold. By adjusting engagement near the top of the pedal travel you don't have to push in far to shift allowing quicker ones. Recommend a quadrant too that gives a quicker release ratio than stock and replaces the factory plastic one with aluminum. Hope this helps.
Fred K.

gnxs

Established Member
Pro 5.0

Like you I had a Pro 5.0 in my Formula (which I loved), so I thought it would be good in the Cobra. I have the same issue as you with the notchy feel. I spoke with Pro 5.0 Friday and they told me to drive it for another week or so and make sure the boot is trimmed properly (it's only in the car two weeks or so). If I still didn't like the feel, I could send it back for a replacement. I have to say it's feeling better (not great yet), but it still isn't notch free.

I heard from others that the had similar feel in theirs (and two guys with a Steeda same deal). Some mentioned the transmission itself as the cause, although my stock shifter wasn't notchy.

Many people have suggested the Quadrant and Firewall adjuster as a fantastic mod. I'll probably do it this weekend.

BTW, I could barely reach it without adding a Tri-Ax handle. The shifter in my Firebird was positioned so much better.

jeffsvt

Established Member
I've never had a problem wih my Pro 5.0 shifter . It's alway shifted smooth for me .

gnxs if you really want a good handle go with the MGWLTD shifter handle it compliments the Pro50 very well . You can check them out at www.MGWLTD.com .

RJCobra

Established Member
When I installed my Pro 5.0 I put on the stock shifter handle to compare apples to apples. Compared to the Stock shifter with the stock handle, the stock handle/Pro 5.0 combo shifts much smoother and goes into gear much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread