Guys with longtubes

enormous

Established Member
Cat longevity was noted in some above posts.

Cat quality and longevity was first on my mind 5 years ago and after some research I decided on Stainless Works LT's paired with their high flow cats.

Now 5 driving seasons and 25,000 miles later my cats appeared 100% after pulling the o2 sensors and inspecting the SW cats with a good camera. I was happy and relieved at the same time.

My SW cats have held up at 740 RWHP and 730 TQ on 94 octane after 5 years and I tip my hat to SW.

Not all cats are built the same quality wise the way I see it.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
About 2 weeks ago, discovered this on my Friend's 08...

cat.jpg

cats.jpg

I do not fully know what caused this and I don't have the full history on this car, but take it for what it's worth. These are Dynatech long tubes with the high flow cats on my buddy's 08 GT500. For the most part, car ran good around town and cruising, however it was down on power on the dyno and the shop that was working on it had trouble with tuning the car.

Shop eventually threw their hands up at this car and the Previous owner had to put it for sale as knowing that it wasn't running correctly, but he didn't have anymore funds to put into it. So this is when my buddy got it. PO told him the Car needed tuned, but my buddy continued to drive it and this eventually led to a burned exhaust valve on the clogged cat side (drivers). 2 months of work to pull the Motor, RnR heads, add NSR cams ect. we get the car back up and running on a VMP tune ect. It seems to be running great, but first hard pull the Drivers side header gasket completely blew out at the #8 port, at the time we figured that we dinged and somehow damaged the gasket as these things are not the easiest install the first time around. Only after replacing the gasket a 2nd time knowing full well we did it perfectly, replaced all bolts, torqued in sequence ect. ect. and having it blow out again completely in the same spot did we decide to look into things and little further and that's what we found.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I would like to give a shout out to Kooks Header gaskets for these Engines as well if you are going to run cats. They sealed up well and proved to provide a safety outlet of sorts when Shit went bad. I am sure they are the only reason we found the real issue and didn't cause more harm to the Engine.

Users who are viewing this thread