Guys with Long tubes, I have a quicky!

cgriff97cobra

I HATE DEER
Established Member
My buddy has a 96 with longtubes, I have heard you have to remove one of the headers to drop the tranny, is this true? IF so which one?

LaserRedSnake

LTHLBITE
Established Member
passenger side...if you get hooker headers you won't have to do this the tranny comes out and goes right back in...but you also have to pay the extra 200$ over bbk's

I just replaced the clutch when I installed mine so I wouldn't have to do it for a long while!

BooRail85

Banned
LaserRedSnake said:
passenger side...if you get hooker headers you won't have to do this the tranny comes out and goes right back in...but you also have to pay the extra 200$ over bbk's

I just replaced the clutch when I installed mine so I wouldn't have to do it for a long while!

true.. or you can go with the flowtech's for $280 from summit...

white98snake

Established Member
yea passenger side is the lucky one lol
also make sure u replace the TOB, Pilot bearing and even the clutch fork while its out so u dont have 2 do it again for a while

Shambles

Fetch the COMFY CHAIR!
Established Member
I for one, hate the headers for the 4.6L. Dropping the K-Member and installing headers is not what I consider to be a fun weekend project...depending on how you look at it :p

white98snake

Established Member
MTShambles said:
I for one, hate the headers for the 4.6L. Dropping the K-Member and installing headers is not what I consider to be a fun weekend project...depending on how you look at it :p

i got mine done in about 13 collective hours of work without droppin the k-member

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
BooRail85 said:
true.. or you can go with the flowtech's for $280 from summit...
so are the flowtechs and the bbks the same dimensions? meaning if i replaced my bbks with the flows, would they hook up to my bbk h pipe? im guessing so, just wanna make sure..

BooRail85

Banned
you can use the flowtech long tubes with a bbk h pipe.. I am going to..

you have to buy the 3" to 2.5" reducers for the flowtechs and cut the bbk h pipe to fit and then clamp or weld together..

viola!

MyLEEN00

Established Member
oh what a pain...... taking the passenger side header off..........this will not be a fun project!!

Jettsaleen281

UT at Austin
Established Member
it's A PAIN! to get those suckers out. My knuckles were bleeding afterwards... all that work just to get a tranny out :(.

white98snake

Established Member
Its accually not that bad, the way i did mine was like this
unbolt the passenger side motor mount, and take off the STB if u have one then take off the intake tube. and the mid pipe jack up the motor from the oil pan rim with a block of wood on that side as high as u can get it, i got mine up about 4inches then i was able to reach most of the top and front header bolts from under the hood then the header slipped right out best of luck man

Users who are viewing this thread