Guys need help!! Overheating!!

mark23svt

Established Member
Haven't used the car in like 3 months. It started when I was at a pharmacy the car started getting hot(210/215) as soon as I started driving it came back down to 200. It did that a couple of times. A week or so later when I used the car I drove to a near by ATM and car went up to 220 and started squeaking loud got home and turned it off it was at 230. (Thought it was the belt that tore or something but belt was fine). Well after a couple of days I checked it and the squeak was from spilled coolant that I'm guessing spilled from cap. Tried to burp system the correct way (coolant crossover tube). But still car overheats within 10 minutes in my garage. I turn on the a/c and fan turns on. I took off the tstat and tested it in boiling water and it opens. Just can't figure it out. Car has a mishimoto radiator. Intercooler pump is working. Oh and checked the oil for milky color, negative on water in oil (thank god). What can it be guys? Could it be as simple as a radiator cap, fan turning on but something still wrong? Just sucks I haven't used the car in 3 months. I have a new edelbrock water pump might as well install.

The Abyss

Established Member
Well I don't think you'd go wrong by replacing the cap. At the very least you could rule it out at that point. I'm going to guess that your heater works as well? Maybe a clogged core? Just throwing an idea your way. Good luck!

mark23svt

Established Member
Never thought about that one thank you. I just ordered a fan assembly with the motor my friend told me maybe my high speed fan isn't kicking in that's why it used to get hot in drive threw spots then as soon as I got on freeway it would cool down. Now ill look into the heater core.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Definitely change the cap out. That caused me to overheat once. I changed the cap and burped the system and all has been well. Burping procedure can sometimes take days to get all the coolant out.

mark23svt

Established Member
Definitely change the cap out. That caused me to overheat once. I changed the cap and burped the system and all has been well. Burping procedure can sometimes take days to get all the coolant out.
Yeah im going to change that, yesterday I ordered a new fan assembly. Im really hoping its one of those. How long would it take to heat up when it was the cap?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Here is test I did while having issues with overheating sitting with ac on and no leaks or engine issue..

Garden hose in grill..

Was able to watch temp fall like a rock..

Radiator wasn't cooling..

wckdvnm

Established Member
I should have tried that. Is their any way to test radiator while out of the car?

Well to see if it's leaking somewhere put a hose to one side and try to get the pressure to come up. That's how I found the pinhole in mine.

mark23svt

Established Member
Well to see if it's leaking somewhere put a hose to one side and try to get the pressure to come up. That's how I found the pinhole in mine.
But it's weird dude it doesn't leak from anywhere my garage is dry unless it spills from the cap but just pukes a bit after it gets hot. Also after a lot of reading I think the system isn't burped properly at all. Can air cause it to overheat that fast and that much?

wckdvnm

Established Member
But it's weird dude it doesn't leak from anywhere my garage is dry unless it spills from the cap but just pukes a bit after it gets hot. Also after a lot of reading I think the system isn't burped properly at all. Can air cause it to overheat that fast and that much?

Very much so; when my car got a random air pocket in the coolant it would get as hot as 269, luckily I had a aeroforce at the time. Try to burp the system first, if the problem continues then it is either the radiator not working properly, water pump or something more serious.

mark23svt

Established Member
Thanks guys, I think it just might be air then. For a while now it has heated up randomly then next day or while driving it would go down. But I might change water pump since I bought a new edelbrock one and I bought a new fan.

mark23svt

Established Member
But maybe I'll just wait since they are new I can save them for if they were to break later.

mark23svt

Established Member
Guys little update and help. Had a little bit to work on car while kids napped. Took off the radiator, fan, thermostat. As I'm getting to the pulley bracket their is 2 13mm bolts and 2 10 bolts. As I get to the last 10 bolt right side bottom of power steering resovoir I notice that it's a bit stripped. A 10mm is too big and will strip it more. Before I messed it up is there anything you guys recommend. Just neee that bolt to get to water pump.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Guys little update and help. Had a little bit to work on car while kids napped. Took off the radiator, fan, thermostat. As I'm getting to the pulley bracket their is 2 13mm bolts and 2 10 bolts. As I get to the last 10 bolt right side bottom of power steering resovoir I notice that it's a bit stripped. A 10mm is too big and will strip it more. Before I messed it up is there anything you guys recommend. Just neee that bolt to get to water pump.
Are you using 6 point tools?

mark23svt

Established Member
Yes, only thing I'm thinking is trying to hammer a 9mm in their and hoping I can remove it to buy another.

mark23svt

Established Member
Another thing guys seems weird but when I was removing intercooler resovoir I was expecting same (golden/brown coolant like radiator) but instead a red liquid came out felt more like some type of oil or something. That's weird because before I started a couple of weeks back I checked to see if pump was working and fluid seemed like the same color as radiator fluid. Hope nothing is wrong.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Yes, only thing I'm thinking is trying to hammer a 9mm in their and hoping I can remove it to buy another.
An impact driver works when room to swing a hammer..

Worst case is drilling head of bolt..remove bridge. .than vise grips to remove bolt

Users who are viewing this thread