guys/gals with turbo mustangs, i have a few ?'s

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
thanks guys, i am now afraid to own any turbo vehicles

I wouldn't be afraid of it, you just need to know the car is all.

I owned a turbocharged focus for a while and it was fairly reliable. It was already mentioned here but the best piece of advise is to keep some tools and some extra clamps on hand. The biggest issues I had myself where charge pipes coming loose. Having some extra clamps and basic hand tools made getting going again much easier.

I wouldn't do it to a daily driver again though. There's always something in the back of your head...

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I wouldn't be afraid of it, you just need to know the car is all.

I owned a turbocharged focus for a while and it was fairly reliable. It was already mentioned here but the best piece of advise is to keep some tools and some extra clamps on hand. The biggest issues I had myself where charge pipes coming loose. Having some extra clamps and basic hand tools made getting going again much easier.

I wouldn't do it to a daily driver again though. There's always something in the back of your head...

using the term "reliable" and at the same time feeling the need to carry around a tool kit and extra parts don't exactly go hand and hand. :lol1:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
using the term "reliable" and at the same time feeling the need to carry around a tool kit and extra parts don't exactly go hand and hand. :lol1:

I put about 20,000 miles on my focus with the turbo on it in about 2 years or so. It was my only car and it never left me stranded. I did however have to refasten some charge pipes a couple times and I had the turbo downpipe loosen up on me a couple times as well. Nothing major, but it's kind of run of the course for aftermarket turbocharger systems.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
It's going to be gone through. It's a one owner car and he did all the work himself and he's a good mechanic

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
Then why isn't it fixed?
If he is a good mechanic he has the tools and know how to fix it. But if he was that good it wouldn't have a blown head gasket I guess.

Mmr built the engine so I guess technically he didn't build the engine in it. He took it to the track on what was suppose to be a good tune and when he hit 3rd it detonated and burnt the #3 and #4 plug. He turned it off on the track and winched it on the trailer. The next morning they pulled the plugs to find that problem. He fixed it and when he cranked it up which it was running fine at idle he noticed oil mixing in the coolant and turned it off. He then went to work out of state for a while then just lost interest in the car and it has been sitting since. That's the back story on the car.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
You should scope the cylinders to make sure no piston pieces missing.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Mmr built the engine so I guess technically he didn't build the engine in it. He took it to the track on what was suppose to be a good tune and when he hit 3rd it detonated and burnt the #3 and #4 plug. He turned it off on the track and winched it on the trailer. The next morning they pulled the plugs to find that problem. He fixed it and when he cranked it up which it was running fine at idle he noticed oil mixing in the coolant and turned it off. He then went to work out of state for a while then just lost interest in the car and it has been sitting since. That's the back story on the car.

Let me guess, no porcelain on the plugs and molten balls of steel all over the electrodes? If that's the case it was pre-ignition, not detonation, which is far worse. My statement still holds true, this engine is going to need more work than a head gasket replacement. I would bet the bearings have copper showing, piston scuffing, ring damage, possible bent rods.

Unless you've got money for a new engine to go along with it, I wouldn't touch this car.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
Let me guess, no porcelain on the plugs and molten balls of steel all over the electrodes? If that's the case it was pre-ignition, not detonation, which is far worse. My statement still holds true, this engine is going to need more work than a head gasket replacement. I would bet the bearings have copper showing, piston scuffing, ring damage, possible bent rods.

Unless you've got money for a new engine to go along with it, I wouldn't touch this car.

Ill ask him and see if it was pre ignition or not and what they looked like. Like I said before even if I have to buy another built short block ill be in it way way cheaper than buying one with the same miles on it and putting used parts on it to match this one. The car is literally done, suspension, transmission, rearend, etc. The cylinders were scoped and everything looked good. Its a chance im willing to take but im not completely against a new shortblock in it

Users who are viewing this thread