Guys any tips or tricks to removing the lower pully

2002_500HP

Banned
Hey Guys,
I'm changing around my lower pullies and for the love of god i can't get it to break loose....i've tried breaker bars, rachcets i've tried using my 1 in water line i use for work as something for added leverage...any suggestions would help i really don't want to break anything trying to get it off... also i am aware that you have to go clockwise on it damn left handed threads.

Chris

SUX2BU

Enlarged Member
Established Member
Remember...its reverse thread. I just got a the truck up on jack stands and then used the jack to bust it loose. Once you've broken it loose you can unthread it by hand.

2002_500HP

Banned
could you elborate on using the jack to break it lose, i'm assuming you put the wrench under the jack and raise it up??? Yea i've got the converter locked in place, but i figured a wrench would hold up as good and a steel bar that cost me 25 bucks.

Last edited:

2003fordsvt

Established Member
SUX2BU said:
Remember...its reverse thread. I just got a the truck up on jack stands and then used the jack to bust it loose. Once you've broken it loose you can unthread it by hand.
Oh boy be careful with this one. :lol:

SUX2BU

Enlarged Member
Established Member
Yup....get the wrench or breaker bar where you want it and then slowly start jacking up the jack till it breaks loose. Make sure you are not anywhere near underneath the truck while doing this....just incase.

SUX2BU

Enlarged Member
Established Member
2003fordsvt said:
Oh boy be careful with this one. :lol:

Sure....but you have to becareful with anything you do. Trust me, this technique makes it simple to remove the pulley. :thumbsup:

Lightning1

Established Member
Dang, I guess they really tightened some of them from the factory. A regular 1/2" rachet was all I needed.

SUX2BU

Enlarged Member
Established Member
Lightning1 said:
Dang, I guess they really tightened some of them from the factory. A regular 1/2" rachet was all I needed.

All of the ones I've ever done were on there pretty tight. :shrug:

2003fordsvt

Established Member
SUX2BU said:
Sure....but you have to becareful with anything you do. Trust me, this technique makes it simple to remove the pulley. :thumbsup:
Oh it def will work, but you just gotta be careful,a ratchet flying off at that pressure will knock some teeth out. :beer:

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
I was able to manuver my impact wrench in there, but if I had known about the jsck idea I would have gone with that. Removing the damn pulley is a pain in the ass!

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
I CANNOT wait to do the pulley, its the plugs that freak me out. Im good at breaking things...

loose... :)

2002_500HP

Banned
yea i had the nuts off and the converter locked in place my dad came over sunday to help me and hang out he go it off the first time he touched the wrench. and as for my plugs did them all in hour...first time i've ever done them so i don't think there as bad as there made out to be.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
just attatch something that will give you some leverage and lay on your back and kick the shit out of it a couple times and it'll brake loose. atleast it worked for me, lol.
chiz

Users who are viewing this thread