"Gutted" X Pipe Not as loud as Off/Road X

CamdZ06

Established Member
I've been trying to find the perfect (for me) exhaust for my 03 Cobra. Started out with Magnaflow catback.. too quiet. Changed to MRT-Catted H Pipe.. too quiet..

Put on Borla Stingers and it sounded loud enough but decided to change into a Bassani X Pipe. I wanted an offroad one but saw someone selling a Bassani X with Gutted Cats so i bought it. My friend has Borla Stingers and a Bassani O/R X and his is much louder than mine. ????

I thought "gutting" cats would basically make it the same as an off road x pipe. In my case it didn't which is why i just bought a 5 piece Bassani "Off road" X!

DT_C03RA

Established Member
This is just a wild a** guess, but maybe because the piping diameter is larger in the area of the cats, which causes a frequency change in the resonance of the sound being produced? :shrug:

Not really sure if that makes sense.

Honestly, you can't really get much louder than an O/R X with Stingers or something like those (unless you go straight off the manifolds with no exhaust at all). IDK if you have to pass any type of emission's testing in your area (visually, physical testing or both), but for a visual portion, having the cats appear to be on there in a functioning order would certainly be more beneficial then no cats at all.

You could always remove the gutted cats in favor of a straight section. If you don't want to do that, I'm sure you could sell that one, as there are probably several members that would be interested in that, since they may still have to pass a visual inspection every year or so. I know I have to and it would make my life easier then swapping mid pipes every year.

CamdZ06

Established Member
This is just a wild a** guess, but maybe because the piping diameter is larger in the area of the cats, which causes a frequency change in the resonance of the sound being produced? :shrug:

Not really sure if that makes sense.

Honestly, you can't really get much louder than an O/R X with Stingers or something like those (unless you go straight off the manifolds with no exhaust at all). IDK if you have to pass any type of emission's testing in your area (visually, physical testing or both), but for a visual portion, having the cats appear to be on there in a functioning order would certainly be more beneficial then no cats at all.

You could always remove the gutted cats in favor of a straight section. If you don't want to do that, I'm sure you could sell that one, as there are probably several members that would be interested in that, since they may still have to pass a visual inspection every year or so. I know I have to and it would make my life easier then swapping mid pipes every year.

That does make sense. I figured since the part where the cats used to be at is a little hollowed out would make a small difference, but when i heard an actual off road x pipe it is much louder in person. I don't have to really pass any emissions here in IL which is why i want an o/r one! I should have mine off by Thurs, it is a Bassani X with gutted cats so if you're interested just let me know. I will put it in the for sale section as well! Thanks for your input!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread