Guns? Pfeh.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
"Guglielmi says the undergraduate student told the man he found in his garage to leave and the man accosted him. That's when Guglielmi says the student defended himself, cutting off the man's hand and causing a severe laceration to his upper body."

lol

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Damn. I hate thieves, but I bet that kid feels like crap. Too bad the guy died really, I think it would have been more appropriate had he lived with one or both hands removed.

LS2GTO

Established Member
At the very end of the article it says the DA or whatever is contemplating whether to press charges against the student. What kinda crap can they put on him for what he did? It's not like that story posted here a couple weeks ago where the guy chased after the robbers and eventually shot one of them, he was actually defending himself within his home from a robber. I guess maybe that whole deal with you're supposed to protect yourself with the same force that the robber has, aka if he's got a gun you can have a gun but if he doesn't then you can't use one or something idk.

99cobradave

Established Member
LaFlavor,

Nice quote from Hiro Protagonist. Snow crash is a classic, you read it? Neal Stephenson will be considered classic literature 20 years from now. His work amazes me.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Maybe the student was Muslim :-D

"The thief, male or female, you shall mark their hands as a punishment for their crime, and to serve as an example from GOD."
[Quran 5:38]

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Damn liberal city cops and attorneys. The student should be getting an award as a good, law abiding student, not waiting to hear if he is going to be charged with a crime for defending himself.

It's fairly obvious that the thief was approaching him, not running away when he got his hand cut off. Now if he had gotten his buttocks hacked off maybe there would be something to investigate.

LaFlavor

Established Member
LaFlavor,

Nice quote from Hiro Protagonist. Snow crash is a classic, you read it? Neal Stephenson will be considered classic literature 20 years from now. His work amazes me.

Yeah, it's been a few years. I need to read some of his other stuff. Was the first thing I thought of when I saw the headline.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
what kind of bullshit is this?
"Police are interviewing the student and his roommates, and are talking to prosecutors about whether to file charges".

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Read the Maryland link and you'll see that the "topic of self-defense is not explicitly covered by statute" in MD.

'Duty-To-Retreat' criteria means that he could be charged if a prosecutor believes that a "reasonable person in the same situation" would have been able to escape ther attacker. If a judge/jury believes so, he could be screwed!

Hopefully, they'll consider garage as part of his "home". There are further criteria that could clear or screw him but overall, it's just another state with no clear-cut rules of law for CITIZENS to protect themselves against CRIMINALS.

This is all :bs:

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Read the Maryland link and you'll see that the "topic of self-defense is not explicitly covered by statute" in MD.

'Duty-To-Retreat' criteria means that he could be charged if a prosecutor believes that a "reasonable person in the same situation" would have been able to escape ther attacker. If a judge/jury believes so, he's screwed!

This is :bs:

that it is sir, that it is.............
"well he had rights to, besides he was almost out with all of your stuff so you could've just let him go with all the stuff you worked hard for". :burn:

Users who are viewing this thread