Gun Trend

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
To go along with this Gun trend, we have had all these posts about. What do you guys think would be a good first gun to have? I have always wanted to purchase one, and finally filled out my FOID car application. I have shot guns in the past, but don't really know the different types. Not planning on becoming a hardcore gun collector, but I would like something nice to have for security purposes and to go to the shooting range once in a while. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

tharsis

Established Member
definately glock. they are good fun well rounded 1st guns.. my dad has a glock 17 9mm and a 34 i believe which is the longer barrel version of the 17. they are fun to mess around with and shoot prarie dogs and things of that nature. not extremely powerful, but powerful enough to kill

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
how about rifles? I just got my class III and am looking for something to have some fun with at the outdoor range. Looking for a nice accurate rifle, possibly with a scope, combo. Any ideas?

stanger133

From my cold dead hands!
Established Member
EATONSRT said:
how about rifles? I just got my class III and am looking for something to have some fun with at the outdoor range. Looking for a nice accurate rifle, possibly with a scope, combo. Any ideas?
If you're willing to cough up some dough, check out the AR-15, I've got an M-4 and they are badass and very accurate. Ammo is cheap and there is a lot of accessories on the market for them.

Last edited:

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
i dont want something that looks like i'm in desert storm, no disrespect to anyone. I want nice "low key" rifle for mainly target shooting competitions

slvrsvtlghtng

Established Member
savage makes an awsome rifle and cant beat a remmington 700
for pistols Kimbers are awsome

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
EATONSRT said:

best all around rifles are Winchester Model 70s and Remington 700 series. Both are great and could be awesome set ups with a nice scope. total package your looking at maybe 900-1000..thats with a average leupold 3x9x40mm scope (prob $350)

i actually got my Winchester model 70 chambered in 30-06 for 450 bucks brand new. if i could i would go back and get a .270. ........more affordable rounds and easier on the shoulder. and .270 is enough to kill a small black bear. its all about what your gonna do with it...just the range maybe the AR-15 is good...for southern state hunting(wooded areas no more than 200 yards or so...most shots are less than 100 yards) the .270 or 30-06 is perfect..maybe in over powered. for hunting out west for 350+ yard shots are the norm might wanna look at a .308 or 7mm or possible 7mm mag....as you can see there is a lot of variables and options.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
slvrsvtlghtng said:
savage makes an awsome rifle and cant beat a remmington 700
for pistols Kimbers are awsome

Savages are getting to cheap..maybe its me but i think you get what you pay for. a $260 gun is just that a 260 dollar gun...there is a reason most Kimbers are $700+..... might as well spend the extra...now dont go ape shit on a gun but get a good one..it will last a life time and you can hand it down to your kids.....good luck

-=SVT=-

Cool SVT poster
Established Member
Win7ermute said:
Glock. Safe, reliable, and cheap. Consider the HK USP, Sig 226 and Walther P99 as alternates.

I agree Glock is really good and so is SIG. I would go glock. I have a glock .45, it is great and very fun. :rockon:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Win7ermute said:
Glock. Safe, reliable, and cheap. Consider the HK USP, Sig 226 and Walther P99 as alternates.

I was going to get an HK USP but ended up getting a friend's Sig 226 because he was selling it cheap. Awesome gun.

Oh1SnakeDriver

Established Member
I see by your profile that you live in Chicago, you can't legally own a handgun in Chicago. You can own a long gun though. For home defense get a shotgun. If you must have a handgun move out to the suburbs!!! Then get a Para-Ordinance P14 .45 ACP, 14 in the mag and 1 in the tube, double action + serious knock down power. I don't recomend Glocks as I once was a Gun Dealer (legally) and sold 3 Glocks, 2 of which broke right away. I'm not willing to bet my life on those odds!!! Just my .02 cents

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Shotgun....definatly get a 12ga. Shooting skeet/trap/sporting clays is ALOT of fun, and they make the best home defense weapons.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
FISHTAIL said:
Shotgun....definatly get a 12ga. Shooting skeet/trap/sporting clays is ALOT of fun, and they make the best home defense weapons.

true shotguns are so much fun..and damn you can pick a Remington 870 Express (very Very popular..also called the wingmaster) at Walmart for 250 bucks...i know cause i did.i wanted a good shotgun that i didnt mind getting knicked or scuffed up out shooting clays and whatnot...true about its defense ability...not many people( let alone animals can take a 3" slug)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i would get a little 22 as well. they are great just for plinkin. you can improve your aim for pennies on the dollar. generally the bigger the gun the higher the cost of ammo. a cheap 22 and a nice 9m or 40cal is a nice combo in my opinion. have fun. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread