Gun Safes

hoamskilet

Established Member
I've accumulated enough....it's time to get a safe.

My head is spinning though.....soooooo many options.

So, I don't have 1500+ bucks at the moment to get a legit safe, but I'd like to get something to keep things locked up from the kiddos, and make it at least a little harder should anyone break into the house to grab em. Right now I have 3 long guns, and 2 pistols, and would like to have room to store ammo as well. Plus, it seems the more I read that even the stuff that's $1k+ arent that hard to cut open with basic power tools and the fire ratings are pretty sketchy. (until you get into the big dollar stuff that is)

No clue where to go from here.

What are you guys rockin

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
You can always check FB/CL/offer up for a small cheap one until you can get what you really want. A safe is like toolbox or shed, get one 3x bigger than you think you need

Lock with a digital keypad is super handy. I keep my important documents in a firebox inside my safe as well.

Morgan

Established Member
Try craigslist for bank vaults- they can be found in good sizes and are sometimes better quality(b/c commercial) for lower prices. Might take a while of frequent searching though.

Bronze123

Established Member
A safe buys you time from theft. Bolting down the safe, location & safe material buys you more time. We have a Zanotti armory safe. Since I’m in my starter home, I want to take the safe with us when we move. 3/16 steel top, bottom and door. With 1/8 side. Bolted down with anchors into concrete and put into a closet It will force any intruder to come at it head on. Can’t tip it, cutting will take a lot of time, prying open will be even be worse when standing up.

first thoughts for you are a simple locker to keep kids out. Maybe add another level of security with cameras, or hide in a locked room.

safes are investments. If you gotta save and get something more quality, it’s not a bad idea

SHOdown220

Established Member
I have a cheaper one I bought from academy I think a few years back. I know its not the most secure safe out there by far, a thief with enough time could cut through it I'm sure. The main reason I bought one was because my son was born, the most important purpose of my safe is to keep him safe. We are renting and I didn't want to buy a huge heavy safe that would have to be moved again. I'm already saving for a higher end safe when we buy next year.

Machdup1

Established Member
Just get a stackon residential security container that fits your current budget. It will keep your kids safe and your basic meth head smash and grab criminals from stealing your guns. It is not designed to keep professional thieves out, but until you get into real safes that weigh 1500lbs or so, not much will.

Combine the cheap RSC with an alarm/home security system and you have pretty good security.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
I've got a liberty franklin, liberty makes excellent safes, but you probably wont want to spend that kind of money.

For just a basic lockup safe, try stack on or sports afield at menards. Cheaper safes that wont hold up long to an experienced thief, but they have weight and will be just fine for locking stuff up from kids.

Machdup1

Established Member
Cheaper safes that wont hold up long to an experienced thief, but they have weight and will be just fine for locking stuff up from kids.

For lighter safes, bolting them to both the wall and floor increase stability and security.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Bought a Liberty Fatboy a year and a half ago and love it. So nice having my firearms locked up along with other valuables. I remember Cannon brand was affordable when i was looking around. Liberty is in the 2k and up range.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blown 89

Established Member
The Bighorn safes from Costco are a decent budget safe and go on sale regularly. If you have a business account you get a percentage back on top of CC rewards. Not a bad option if you don't have the money on a high-end/high-dollar safe.

The reality is that any safe will stop a thief....this isn't Hollywood where thieves come with all sorts of high end tools to get them open. They're looking to get in and out.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
I converted a linen closet with gallow tech modular panels. I went down the safe route but ultimately wasn't as concerned about theft as i was keeping my kids away and putting the guns out of sight. Using their product you can pack a shit ton of guns into a small space and have it be very functional.

MFE

Established Member
The Bighorn safes from Costco are a decent budget safe and go on sale regularly. If you have a business account you get a percentage back on top of CC rewards. Not a bad option if you don't have the money on a high-end/high-dollar safe.

The reality is that any safe will stop a thief....this isn't Hollywood where thieves come with all sorts of high end tools to get them open. They're looking to get in and out.

They've been known to come in with a cheap rechargeable Sawzalls and cut through exposed corners

Bronze123

Established Member
They've been known to come in with a cheap rechargeable Sawzalls and cut through exposed corners

Correct. Goes back to buying time. Some of these composite safes don’t have nearly enough metal. All safes can be defeated but at what time factor Multiple levels of security and proper safes(with proper bolting of safe) buys time

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I picked up a Sports Afield 72 gun safe last fall. Right now I only have a couple handguns, a couple shot guns, and a couple youth .22s. However, my dad has a formidable collection that I’ll inherit half of at some point, and there are a few other things I’d like to acquire (as well as valuables storage).

I’m sure the right person could get into it without too much trouble, but I don’t have anything terribly valuable in it, and I don’t brag about the stuff I do have.
By the way, does anyone know how to convince a stubborn wife that it should be anchored into the concrete in the basement? Mine says that’s a dumb idea and it hurts my brain to argue with her sometimes.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I thought about a locker setup as well if you're not concerned about theft. Can't remember the brands but there are some cool setups out there for sure.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I picked up a Sports Afield 72 gun safe last fall. Right now I only have a couple handguns, a couple shot guns, and a couple youth .22s. However, my dad has a formidable collection that I’ll inherit half of at some point, and there are a few other things I’d like to acquire (as well as valuables storage).

I’m sure the right person could get into it without too much trouble, but I don’t have anything terribly valuable in it, and I don’t brag about the stuff I do have.
By the way, does anyone know how to convince a stubborn wife that it should be anchored into the concrete in the basement? Mine says that’s a dumb idea and it hurts my brain to argue with her sometimes.
Bolt the toilet seat/lid down. When she sees how impossible it makes it to piss in one she’ll change her mind.

Bronze123

Established Member

Terrible acting and shotty vid. But once a safe is on its back, it’s game over. Leverage is at a disadvantage to the safe.

Or just bolt it down without asking. Easier to ask for forgiveness Than permission

Users who are viewing this thread