Gun safes: Help me pick!

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
I feel it's time for me to invest in a gun safe in the foreseeable future this year, my collection is growing to the point that I'm running out of places to keep/store them. I have a 6yr old, so a cabinet is definitely out of the question, plus like most plan to do, I will keep a lot more in the safe than just guns.

I've been looking into the custom built Vault Pro's, so if any of you guys out there close to Sante Fe, Cali that personally know about their craftsmanship or have toured the facility your input would be great. It looks like great things come from their shop from what I can tell.

Really what I'm trying to sort through in this big box competitive market is what claims actually hold up and which ones are complete lies.

Also, if any of you have seen first hand maybe on your own or someone you know, an attempted break in and how the safe held up? And now you'll swear by that brand?

I'm not as concerned about fire as much as I am about them being able to cut into the body, my biggest focus will be strength. I live in a neighborhood so the fire dept. isn't far from the house, I won't need anything outrageous on heat tolerance.

Any help would be great, thanks.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
The harsh reality is most won't hold up in a fire. I have yet to see one a prepared group couldn't get into if determined.

A gas powered concrete saw would make short work of any I have seen.

IMO having one is to stop the typical thief who breaks into a home randomly for a quick smash n grab. As long as you buy a decent brand with a good door and pins all around (not just one side) and then bolt it to the floor your about as secure as youre gonna realistically get.

I got a browning on a good deal. A buddy has a liberty, both seem pretty solid.

Edit: I am not a fan of pushbutton ones. Personal preference, but the dial style seem less likely to fail.

Last edited:

sleek98

Established Member
I have a cannon safe. It has recessed hinges and a 60 min fire rating. Likely it would only have to withstand 15-20 mins max before the fire dept get there. Like a previous poster said just about all of them can be cut into with a gas powered concrete saw. If someone wants in bad enough they will get in.

I got mine through work for about 40% of retail. I however do like the push button pad.

oldmodman

Established Member
Mine is a Liberty. Two combination dial and two locking arms. 22 1.5 inch bolts. Triple wall, concrete and fireproofing filled. Rated for 2.5 hours of burn time.

Two thousand three hundred pounds. I'd like to see some fools try to carry it away. Plus it's bolted to the concrete slab.

And even better. It's not at my house.

The reason I went with this safe was I saw one standing in the middle of a burned down neighborhood. It was the only thing still standing. And the looters had not been able to get into it or carry it away.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine is a Liberty. Two combination dial and two locking arms. 22 1.5 inch bolts. Triple wall, concrete and fireproofing filled. Rated for 2.5 hours of burn time.

Two thousand three hundred pounds. I'd like to see some fools try to carry it away. Plus it's bolted to the concrete slab.

The reason I went with this safe was I saw one standing in the middle of a burned down neighborhood. It was the only thing still standing. And the looters had not been able to get into it or carry it away.

I like your style!

In for suggestions. I need one to protect from quick smash and grabs too, nothing real fancy.

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
The harsh reality is most won't hold up in a fire. I have yet to see one a prepared group couldn't get into if determined.

A gas powered concrete saw would make short work of any I have seen.

IMO having one is to stop the typical thief who breaks into a home randomly for a quick smash n grab. As long as you buy a decent brand with a good door and pins all around (not just one side) and then bolt it to the floor your about as secure as youre gonna realistically get.

I got a browning on a good deal. A buddy has a liberty, both seem pretty solid.

Edit: I am not a fan of pushbutton ones. Personal preference, but the dial style seem less likely to fail.

Great info here, thanks, I 100% agree with you, you have to be pretty realistic when it comes to the topic of safes, it is what it is, if they want it they'll get it. There's nothing I've seen that a concrete saw can't do. I'll probably get the dial, I have a bedside pistol safe that was purchased with the intention of getting into quickly, so I won't have to worry about getting into the big safe in a hurry. I really like Liberty's as well.

I have a cannon safe. It has recessed hinges and a 60 min fire rating. Likely it would only have to withstand 15-20 mins max before the fire dept get there. Like a previous poster said just about all of them can be cut into with a gas powered concrete saw. If someone wants in bad enough they will get in.

I got mine through work for about 40% of retail. I however do like the push button pad.

I agree, the way I see it, if you really have that much gold, jewelry, and other incredibly expensive and valuable investments, use common sense and keep it all where it belongs, at the bank! That's bad ass, sounds like your job has some awesome perks.

That's the kind of story I like to hear right there, I'm really leaning heavily towards the Liberty's. Nothing screams 'Merica "MADE IN THE USA" more than seeing something like that!

For the extra security and peace of mind, in the event that something does happen in my house with a break in, I'm also thinking a surveillance system would help dramatically, if you can deter them then they won't even bother breaking in. Not saying it'll stop them entirely, but they'll definitely be more prone to skip you and go on to the next house.

Machdup1

Established Member
The normal answer is Liberty, AMSEC, Sturdy Safe. They all make good RSC's for the money.

OP, here are the relevant questions if you want good suggestions:

How many guns?
What type of guns (pistol or long gun)?
How much room for expansion?
Will you need to store ammo and accessories?
What is your budget?
Are you concerned about fire protection?
Are you concerned about smash and grab thieves?
Are you concerned about professional thieves (Big money safes)?
What is the maximum door clearance in the path to where you are going to put the safe (HxW)?
Do you have the capability to move a heavy safe where it needs to be?

A gun safe is only as secure as how much money you put into it. Most are just residential security containers that prevent smash and grabs. As such I have a two safes for guns and gear (Liberty, alarm systems on everything which are monitored by someone else, Internet camera's and insurance.

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
How many guns? Currently, 9 long ones, definitely will expand.
What type of guns (pistol or long gun)? Both, but more so concerned about long storage, I can add a hanging pistol bag on the door.
How much room for expansion? I'd like to get something I can grow into.
Will you need to store ammo and accessories? Yes
What is your budget? I'd like to keep at or below 5K, not counting delivery cost or tax, basically list price.
Are you concerned about fire protection? Yes, but it's not at the top of the list, 90 minutes or less would easily be enough.
Are you concerned about smash and grab thieves? Yes.
Are you concerned about professional thieves (Big money safes)? This will have to go back to what I can afford, I'll buy the best safe I can, but unless you have 1" of steel they'll find a way in.
What is the maximum door clearance in the path to where you are going to put the safe (HxW)? It'll be going in my bedroom, so a typical 28"W doorway, I have roughly ~70+ inches of door height, so my expansion will have to come from the width of the safe.
Do you have the capability to move a heavy safe where it needs to be? I will have it delivered, and I'll probably bolt it myself unless that is part of the delivery.

A gun safe is only as secure as how much money you put into it. Most are just residential security containers that prevent smash and grabs. As such I have a two safes for guns and gear (Liberty, alarm systems on everything which are monitored by someone else, Internet camera's and insurance.

I plan on adding more security to my house in the future also, so I suppose what this will come down to, and with my budget, is I'll have to get a "RSC" and be done with it. I'm not looking to build a bank vault in my house, I just want something to protect my firearms, keep important documents in, and other small valuable things that I'd like to keep protected.

Last edited:

Machdup1

Established Member
How many guns? Currently, 9 long ones, definitely will expand.
What type of guns (pistol or long gun)? Both, but more so concerned about long storage, I can add a hanging pistol bag on the door.
How much room for expansion? I'd like to get something I can grow into.
Will you need to store ammo and accessories? Yes
What is your budget? I'd like to keep at or below 5K, not counting delivery cost or tax, basically list price.
Are you concerned about fire protection? Yes, but it's not at the top of the list, 90 minutes or less would easily be enough.
Are you concerned about smash and grab thieves? Yes.
Are you concerned about professional thieves (Big money safes)? This will have to go back to what I can afford, I'll buy the best safe I can, but unless you have 1" of steel they'll find a way in.
What is the maximum door clearance in the path to where you are going to put the safe (HxW)? It'll be going in my bedroom, so a typical 28"W doorway, I have roughly ~70+ inches of door height, so my expansion will have to come from the width of the safe.
Do you have the capability to move a heavy safe where it needs to be? I will have it delivered, and I'll probably bolt it myself unless that is part of the delivery.

I plan on adding more security to my house in the future also, so I suppose what this will come down to, and with my budget, is I'll have to get a "RSC" and be done with it. I'm not looking to build a bank vault in my house, I just want something to protect my firearms, keep important documents in, and other small valuable things that I'd like to keep protected.

Call your local Liberty dealer or stop by their showroom. They will walk you through your options. After you see them, you will want one. I see a Franklin, Lincoln or Fat boy in your future.

Get a monitored Alarm system to go with it. It is really nice to know that the police will come with guns drawn if someone decides to break in or at least that is what my neighbors told me when it happened to me.

MikeHoncho

Who cares...
Established Member
I have a Liberty and love it. The touchpad makes it easy for me to get into. It came with the gun bag on the inside of the door. And it's a heavy bitch. I know of two other people who have Liberties, and the really like them too.

Find the one you think is the right size, then buy one size bigger.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Sturdy Safe. /thread. dont own one, but want one. Construction and strength is second to none.

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
Call your local Liberty dealer or stop by their showroom. They will walk you through your options. After you see them, you will want one. I see a Franklin, Lincoln or Fat boy in your future.

Get a monitored Alarm system to go with it. It is really nice to know that the police will come with guns drawn if someone decides to break in or at least that is what my neighbors told me when it happened to me.

I have a Liberty and love it. The touchpad makes it easy for me to get into. It came with the gun bag on the inside of the door. And it's a heavy bitch. I know of two other people who have Liberties, and the really like them too.

Find the one you think is the right size, then buy one size bigger.

Awesome, thanks for all the info., that Fat Boy is a nice one I'll have to take a look at the other two. I'll probably order mine with the turn dial just because they're proven to never fail. I'm looking forward to adding all the accessories to it, (power port, lights, etc.)

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member

What if the Fire Dept says F your house, it's a loss and just lets it burn?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When I build my house I'm putting a vault room under the garage.

If your basement is unfinished, I'd suggest doing that. Makes for a good tornado shelter as well.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
My Liberty Revolution 24 Gun - love it. Be sure to order the "flex" model with shelves.
2 guys can easily move it around...

7NzqoHxh.png

fj9Tr8Jh.png

dujHFR1h.png

Users who are viewing this thread