Gun owners...advice?

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
I'm wanting to get a new gun, here are the details. First of all, I own a model 1894 Winchester 30/30 that i like alot. I don't hunt, just target shoot to hone my accuracy and have fun/take frustration out on inanimate objects. Like I said, I like the 30/30, but it has severely limited range, and its configuration won't allow for mounting a scope. Figure 100 yards max for my newish ability (on a 8x8 target).

So what I'm looking for

Accurate rifle
Bolt action or maybe semi-auto
Larger caliber
300 yards+ capability open sights
I would prefer a military design as opposed to a hunting rifle
I would like an older gun, new guns don't do much for me for some reason
Has to be under $500

I was thinking either an SKS or something like a Mosin Nagant, what would you guys recommend?

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
I'm wanting to get a new gun, here are the details. First of all, I own a model 1894 Winchester 30/30 that i like alot. I don't hunt, just target shoot to hone my accuracy and have fun/take frustration out on inanimate objects. Like I said, I like the 30/30, but it has severely limited range, and its configuration won't allow for mounting a scope. Figure 100 yards max for my newish ability (on a 8x8 target).

So what I'm looking for

Accurate rifle
Bolt action or maybe semi-auto
Larger caliber
300 yards+ capability open sights
I would prefer a military design as opposed to a hunting rifle
I would like an older gun, new guns don't do much for me for some reason
Has to be under $500

I was thinking either an SKS or something like a Mosin Nagant, what would you guys recommend?

under 500 bucks huh? well either of the 2 you mentioned will work. The nagant should get you much further down range than 300 yards bud

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
under 500 bucks huh? well either of the 2 you mentioned will work. The nagant should get you much further down range than 300 yards bud

Yeah when I get better :lol:

I've seen videos of a nagant putting an 18'' group at one THOUSAND yards open sights :eek:

I've also heard that the Swiss K31 is a damn, damn good rifle and they are still sold surplus, anybody know if this is true?

Last edited:

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
I would say for under 500 a M48 Yugo Mauser is a good bet also.

Mosins are a hit or miss due mostly if the rifling is good or not I have owned over 30 of them since 1995. And my best ones always had crisp clean well defined rifling and groves if you want long range and better terminal ballistics then the 91- 91/30 is the way to go as the 147 gr 7.62X64R is just as capable as the 30-06 now if you go with the carbine M38/44 then it drops down to 308 or 7.62X51 Nato in performance due to the shorter 20 inch barrel. But also the carbines kick a lot more over they'er longer barreled brothers plus they make a fireball about the size of a basketball witch is pretty neat at night but it kind of kills your night vision though.

Users who are viewing this thread