gun laws what does the other side think?

o2gt

Established Member
just thought I would ask this question. I realize many on this forum my self included are big propionates of gun rights. but I was thinking for those who believe we should have more stringent gun laws what do you think should be done and based on what do you think it will accomplish?

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Thought provoking question but don't get your hopes up for logical responses. Their reasons are purely emotional.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Gun laws are a false sense of hope. If people would realize one simple statement then they wouldnt care about stripping our rights......criminals do not follow the law!

How many of the 200 homicides a year that occur in Baltimore city involve the use of a firearm registered and legally owned by the shooter?

Blown 89

Established Member
I find that the other side doesn't understand the gun laws they are trying to change. The comments from our politicians about firing warning shots, loopholes, etc is proof of that.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have some lefty Hollywood type friends.

And I have discussed firearm ownership with them.

They want ALL GUNS in the USA seized from every single gun owner and destroyed.

They are ABSOLUTELY SERIOUS! They want the entire country disarmed, including the Police. A door to door search to get every single pistol, rifle, and round of ammunition. And they have no concern for the Second Amendment Rights that would be trampled on. They want the 2nd stricken from the document.

And people think I am just a typical paranoid gun owner. I sure as hell hope I am.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member

They are ABSOLUTELY SERIOUS! They want the entire country disarmed, including the Police. A door to door search to get every single pistol, rifle, and round of ammunition. And they have no concern for the Second Amendment Rights that would be trampled on. They want the 2nd stricken from the document.

And people think I am just a typical paranoid gun owner. I sure as hell hope I am.

You need new friends. Or they need to move to New York where nobody owns guns...

itSSlow98

Established Member

They say that because they know damn well it wouldn't be them knocking on those doors.

Sapperstang

Established Member

I have some well meaning liberal friends too. One told me she didn't mind if people owned guns but just couldn't understand why anyone would. I tried the whole self defense angle on her but she said that's what the police were for. I told her if her life meant that little to her then so be it. :nonono: And we live in a town where we literally have several armed robberies every week.

GCubersoldat

Established Member
If we lived in a place like the U.K where nobody had ever had guns at all and it was extremely difficult to obtain one, I could see how the gun control laws would work. Guns have always been legal here and there's millions of them in the U.S. having a law that banned them would only disarm the law-abiding citizens and make the life of a criminal that much easier. Personally I have a PPK, SKS, .22, and Mauser bolt action rifle and carry my PPK with my concealed weapons permit as my route to and from work isn't the most pleasant.

Imagine a LEO without a firearm working in LA or liberty city? It would be a nationwide bloodbath

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
It takes a gun to confiscate a gun, the only people left with guns will be the government and from there it turns in to tyranny.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
You need new friends. Or they need to move to New York where nobody owns guns...

If you think people in NY do not have guns you are sorely mistaken my friend. Regardless of recent laws passed on purchases, most already had huge arsenals. I know at least 2 guys I used to work with that had more guns than a swat team. I'm talking assault rifles, pistols, shot guns, you name it. 1 had a .50 and a .454 handgun and several assault rifles with enough ammo to take out a small army with him and his brothers. The other did not have a pistol permit due to a criminal record (domestic issue I believe) but had thousands of rounds and tons of assault rifles even collapsible stock versions.

And neither plans on giving them up without a fight if you know what I mean.

motoman991

Banned
If you think people in NY do not have guns you are sorely mistaken my friend. Regardless of recent laws passed on purchases, most already had huge arsenals. I know at least 2 guys I used to work with that had more guns than a swat team. I'm talking assault rifles, pistols, shot guns, you name it. 1 had a .50 and a .454 handgun and several assault rifles with enough ammo to take out a small army with him and his brothers. The other did not have a pistol permit due to a criminal record (domestic issue I believe) but had thousands of rounds and tons of assault rifles even collapsible stock versions.

And neither plans on giving them up without a fight if you know what I mean.

No sane individual should ever give up the means to defend their self.

HandBanana

Established Member

That sounds like a great start to revolution. The civil war wouldn't compare to what would happen as a result of this kind of action.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Can someone explain how you would normally buy a gun legally?

Without question getting rid of guns is not the answer. A person who intends to cause harm will cause harm in any way possible.

4601S/C

Established Member
I don't own a firearm, and I don't really care to own one. It seems to me that whatever laws they are trying to enact are only hurting good gun owners. I think that better tracking of manufactured firearms would help more than anything (not sure what we'd need to do that we haven't done to make that happen). Guns are still getting in places & into hands that have no good reason to have them.

I don't see how what they're doing is going to work. Guns are part of American culture. My dad, grandma, and most of the people on the Texas side of my family own guns. Most of my friends do or plan to own a firearm as well.

I appreciate the gun culture. The recreational side seems pretty cool. That gun fest thing they have in Oklahoma looks awesome (would love to get behind that machine gun sometime). It just isn't for me. I would prefer it if no one owned a gun. That is a purely emotional/ideological stance on my part. It's just the way I feel on the matter, but that's also a Utopian thing that I know won't happen, and I don't expect it to happen.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I don't own a firearm, and I don't really care to own one. It seems to me that whatever laws they are trying to enact are only hurting good gun owners. I think that better tracking of manufactured firearms would help more than anything (not sure what we'd need to do that we haven't done to make that happen). Guns are still getting in places & into hands that have no good reason to have them.

I don't see how what they're doing is going to work. Guns are part of American culture. My dad, grandma, and most of the people on the Texas side of my family own guns. Most of my friends do or plan to own a firearm as well.

I appreciate the gun culture. The recreational side seems pretty cool. That gun fest thing they have in Oklahoma looks awesome (would love to get behind that machine gun sometime). It just isn't for me. I would prefer it if no one owned a gun. That is a purely emotional/ideological stance on my part. It's just the way I feel on the matter, but that's also a Utopian thing that I know won't happen, and I don't expect it to happen.

Even though I disagree with your position on preferring nobody owning guns, I certainly respect it. To me, you do not have the typical left wing mentality that guns are bad. You have the common sense ability to understand that it is bad PEOPLE having firearms that are the issue, and NOT the law abiding citizens.

The total left wing nutjobs that believe that a piece of steel/plastic can hurt somebody on its own will without a loose nut holding it is something I cannot comprehend. I can't fathom NOT having enough common sense to understand that somebody has to have the mentality to do harm will do harm by any means necessary to them, firearm or not.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Can someone explain how you would normally buy a gun legally?

Without question getting rid of guns is not the answer. A person who intends to cause harm will cause harm in any way possible.

you walk into the store, fill out detailed paperwork about yourself, including stuff about mental health issues etc... then they run it through a background database, if it comes back clean you can pick up your gun after the waiting period (drawing a blank on the time period bc w/ a CCW permit you just walk out with it)

the biggest problem is right now theres no good way to verify mental health issues as far as Im aware, its mostly criminal stuff they can check on

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I don't have any problem with making certain aspects of gun ownership more strict, so long as those increased strictnesses don't interfere with honest, intelligent, capable people having access to fire arms. That is to say, I wouldn't mind if Uncle Sam took additional measures to ensure that everyone who purchases their first gun receives appropriate instructions on responsible use and consequences of use, but I also don't think failing to get a certain marksmanship score should restrict someone from buying a gun either.

I like to compare the benefits of mass gun ownership to websites that use crowd sourcing as weird as it sounds. Despite the fact there is a potential that crowd sourced data could lead to bad info, what we often find on the Internet is that when crowds of people are provided a mission or asked a question, the overwhelming response is positive or honest and time after time we find that while there might be a few bad apples, overall most people want to do what's right. If everyone owned a gun, it doesn't mean everyone will be perfect, but the vast majority will do what's best for society (protect each other, defend themselves, and priactively fight crime) and every criminal would know that was the case.

Posted via Topify on Android

Users who are viewing this thread