Gun guys - alternatives to a Browning High Power

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
Currently have a S&W M&P 9mm and I feel its just not for me. I am not very accurante with it even after 1000 rounds. I've shot my Dad's BHP which he has modified for a lighter trigger pull and smooher action along with recoil spring swap. Obviously I know this has an impact on how well I shoot with it, but I've only put maybe 200 rounds through it and find it far more comfortable and I shoot a far more accurate grouping compaired to my M&P.

I know there are options for the trigger on the M&P, but I'm not sure if I will ever get over how much more comfortable the BHP is in my hands.

Any suggestions on alternatives to the BHP? Anyone have experience improving the M&P's trigger and recoil?

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
pick your caliber and manufacturer
or
Glock
Sig
Ruger
Kimber
blah blah yada yada...on a more serious note go to a range and rent both semi autos and revolvers you'll gravitate to something you like.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
I'm sure our resident gun guru katy, TX5.0 will be in here shortly to give his expert advice.

On a serious note hemi hunter hit the nail on the head, try and find a gun range that rents guns out and find one you like.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
Myself and many others also don't shoot the M&P well with factory trigger and a normal grip. It's better if you use an extremely tight grip and you put the trigger shoe in your knuckle joint instead of in the middle of the pad on your finger tip where it should be.

That said the right fix to shoot it normally is the APEX FSS kit. It's about $170 but it turns it into a different gun entirely. You will probably shoot it better than the HP after the install. I actually need another kit and I'm not in any sort of a hurry, if you buy it and don't like it I'll buy the parts from you for retail if you decide you want to can it.

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
Is replacing the trigger assembly on the M&P something a gunsmith needs to do?

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
oh, and on the M&P grip, i've swapped the 3 adjustable grips and can adapt to any of them but don't see a real improvement with comfort or accuracy either way.

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
Myself and many others also don't shoot the M&P well with factory trigger and a normal grip. It's better if you use an extremely tight grip and you put the trigger shoe in your knuckle joint instead of in the middle of the pad on your finger tip where it should be.

That said the right fix to shoot it normally is the APEX FSS kit. It's about $170 but it turns it into a different gun entirely. You will probably shoot it better than the HP after the install. I actually need another kit and I'm not in any sort of a hurry, if you buy it and don't like it I'll buy the parts from you for retail if you decide you want to can it.

Is this what you're talking about?

I do like the fact it gets rid of the double hinged trigger.

http://www.amazon.com/Apex-Tactical...d=1406822283&sr=8-2&keywords=apex+trigger+kit

hb712

Established Member

This.

Beyond what he has said, there's really not a lot of value in keeping a gun you are simply not comfortable with. It could be any combination of the ergonomics, trigger pull, grip angle, etc... that throw you off. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone can shoot every gun/trigger. My suggestion is to go try out other gun and see what fits you better.

No, but it is a lot better to have an experienced smith handle it if you have not worked on a gun before. I never recommend that a first attempt at gunsmithing be trigger work.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member

You can do it but the rear sight has to be removed to get some of the parts in. If you have a good brass drift it's worth a try. Sometimes M&P sights are really on there though, if that doesn't work I'd take it to a halfway decent armorer, it won't cost much. If you aren't a mechanical type person then I wouldn't recommend it at all. Just take it to a armorer that has experience with these.

oh, and on the M&P grip, i've swapped the 3 adjustable grips and can adapt to any of them but don't see a real improvement with comfort or accuracy either way.

Try the medium, unless you have very small hands, or bear paws that's where most people end up.

Is this what you're talking about?

I do like the fact it gets rid of the double hinged trigger.

http://www.amazon.com/Apex-Tactical...d=1406822283&sr=8-2&keywords=apex+trigger+kit

That's it and Amazon has a great price on it.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
But op seriously wait for Katy, Tx5.0 to respond he really really knows his stuff unlike Redneck...

LOL

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
But op seriously wait for Katy, Tx5.0 to respond he really really knows his stuff unlike Redneck...

LOL

I'm not the one that blew up my gun because I wanted to act like an idiot and disregard basic safety rules....

Can't say the same for everyone else posting....

Last edited:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Currently have a S&W M&P 9mm and I feel its just not for me. I am not very accurante with it even after 1000 rounds. I've shot my Dad's BHP which he has modified for a lighter trigger pull and smooher action along with recoil spring swap. Obviously I know this has an impact on how well I shoot with it, but I've only put maybe 200 rounds through it and find it far more comfortable and I shoot a far more accurate grouping compaired to my M&P.

I know there are options for the trigger on the M&P, but I'm not sure if I will ever get over how much more comfortable the BHP is in my hands.

Any suggestions on alternatives to the BHP? Anyone have experience improving the M&P's trigger and recoil?

Springfield makes accurate pistols. I own both the 1911 and XD. The XD is a hair more accurate. Just go rent or borrow different models to get a feel for what you like. A Hi Power is a wonderful gun and one I'd like to own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread