gun experts i need your help(not a what should i buy thread)

roadwarrior60

Established Member
ok so here is the deal......a while back i was given a rifle by my grandfather. only thing he told me about it was that it was his dads, and it was a 30-06. i have done some research and found that it is a mauser 98 action, is set into a "jimmy rigged" stock that doesn't fit well at all (and is cracked almost the full length of the foreend) and is in fact NOT a 30-06 (tried to chamber a 30-06 round and the bolt would not fully lock into place) :shrug: anyways, i want to make it my new project and have found some replacement parts to get me started. but here is the real question...........how do i figure out what caliber it is?? only idea i had to help so far is taking my digital caliper and measuring the inner diameter of the end of the barrel. it measures 0.306 inches or 7.78mm. any help would be greatly appreciated:beer:

roadwarrior60

Established Member

well it was a good read with a lot of info, but i couldn't find anything definative. another problem i'm having is that the gun is pretty old, and the markings are worn to a point where i cant make most of them out. the ones i can make out, dont give me any clues to the caliber:(

p.s. i appreciate the attempt:beer: i dont care what anyone else says.........dalem is a good guy:beer:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
well it was a good read with a lot of info, but i couldn't find anything definative. another problem i'm having is that the gun is pretty old, and the markings are worn to a point where i cant make most of them out. the ones i can make out, dont give me any clues to the caliber:(

p.s. i appreciate the attempt:beer: i dont care what anyone else says.........dalem is a good guy:beer:
Post a picture of the gun with a close ups of the barrel to include front and rear sights, bolt and chamber and receiver from different angles. The description is lacking a bit.

roadwarrior60

Established Member
Post a picture of the gun with a close ups of the barrel to include front and rear sights, bolt and chamber and receiver from different angles. The description is lacking a bit.

ill try to post up actual pics tomorrow, but for now this is what the action looks like. its just not marked with the "7.62" on the top.
http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl02-e.htm

Neither do I!

which is why you and i would get along nicely:thumbsup:

fixed, lol

LOL!!:lol1: cocky much?? jk:beer:

Last edited:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Go to a qualified gunsmith and have a chamber cast done. The gunsmith can then determine exactly in what caliber the gun is chambered. It may be a non-standard "wildcat" catridge. You will also want the action and safety checked out. DO NOT try to chamber and fire ANY ammunition until you have done these steps. A good gunsmith can also advise you what you next steps should be with the gun.

bugmenot

Established Member
I'd say its most likely a 7mm mauser. At the store it may not be under 7mm mauser, and may be under 7x57. Try and get the pictures up though.

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
Go to a qualified gunsmith and have a chamber cast done. The gunsmith can then determine exactly in what caliber the gun is chambered. It may be a non-standard "wildcat" catridge. You will also want the action and safety checked out. DO NOT try to chamber and fire ANY ammunition until you have done these steps. A good gunsmith can also advise you what you next steps should be with the gun.

Best advice right there, not cheapest but best. An "oops" here could create an "oh shit moment" of the highest magnitude.

Skywarp

Established Member
From what it sounds like you probably might have a Mauser 98k from WWII. Here's the interesting possible twist since it says 7.62 it could be a captured 98K and eventually these were converted to .308 and used in Israel. Could you possibly have an Enfield? These came in .303 British and .308. The .308s were made in Ishapore India.

roadwarrior60

Established Member
001.gif

002.gif

003.gif

004.gif

005.gif

010.gif

011.gif

012.gif

ok here are the pics(that is if they actually come up since this is the first time i have posted pics) hope these help:beer: thanks in advance for any help you guys have:beer:

edit:i took off the stock cause its nowhere the original, and i figured it might help to see some of the internals. oh and i kind of made out a marking on the side. it either says rem98 ok gew98.

Last edited:

roadwarrior60

Established Member

i think this might end up being what i do unless i find out a VERY definative answer in the mean time.

From what it sounds like you probably might have a Mauser 98k from WWII. Here's the interesting possible twist since it says 7.62 it could be a captured 98K and eventually these were converted to .308 and used in Israel. Could you possibly have an Enfield? These came in .303 British and .308. The .308s were made in Ishapore India.

it actually doesn't say 7.62 on it:( i wish it was that easy.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Ok its a Gew98 but like others have said they came in so many calibers and were converted into a lot of wildcat/proprietary cartridge that you could have anything. I had a friend in the same boat said his was a 30-06 but it was the wildcat 338-06 lets just say that it wasn't good when he did fire a 30-06 in it as it keyholed at 150 yards :eek1:

Users who are viewing this thread