Gun carrying homeowner saves cop who was attacked by large group

cbj5259

Established Member
This happened not too far from where I work. Interesting how the mainstream media is completely ignoring this story because it doesn't fit their narrative. A citizen lawfully exercising their 2nd amendment right and doing so to aid a police officer that was under attack. Doesn't work for the media I guess since all gun owners are unstable whackos and cops are always the ones who are beating up innocent people.

http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/news&id=368266751&

by STEPHANIE FARR, Staff Writer.
POLICE ARE crediting a vigilant gun owner with saving the life of an Upper Darby cop Friday after he saw the officer being attacked and surrounded by a large group of teens.

"There were 40 kids. If it wasn't for the good Samaritan stepping forward, he'd have been dead meat," Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said. "There's no doubt they would have attacked him."

About 3 p.m. every weekday, from six to eight township police officers patrol the area near Upper Darby High School as nearly 4,000 kids pour out of the building on Lansdowne Avenue near School Lane.

Most kids and most days are good, Chitwood said.

Friday was not.

That afternoon alone, police responded to three fights in three locations near the school. When the dust settled, eight teens, ages 13 to 17, were charged with crimes, and two officers were injured so severely that it's unclear when they'll be able to return to work, Chitwood said.

The most egregious of the incidents took place on Wayne Avenue near Marshall Road, less than a mile from the high school.

An officer who broke up a fight between two teen boys that had attracted a large crowd at that location was holding one of the combatants at bay when the teen's opponent attacked the officer, Chitwood said.

"As he breaks up the fight, he takes one kid and then the other jumps [on] him. Now he's fighting two of them and he's calling for an assist officer at the same time," Chitwood said. "There's a crowd of 40 or 50 kids watching the fight, and they all move in towards the officer."

That's when the good Samaritan, who lives on the block, came out of his house with a gun in his hand and told the teens to get away from the cop, Chitwood said.

"He had the gun in his hand, but he didn't point it at the kids, he just told them to back off," Chitwood said. "If this guy didn't come out and come to the aid of the officer, this officer would have had significant problems."

The 35-year-old gun owner, who has a concealed-carry permit, kept the group of teens at bay until responding officers arrived, Chitwood said.

Not only did the officer who tried to break up the fight suffer significant hand injuries, Chitwood said, but an officer who responded to the request for backup also suffered a major injury to a leg when he was kicked by one of the teens in the fight.

The two juveniles in that fight each were charged with aggravated assault on police, riot, harassment, and related offenses. They were remanded to the Delaware County juvenile detention facility in Lima, Chitwood said.

Six more youths were arrested for fighting around the same time that day at two other locations near the school, Chitwood said; one was sent to the juvenile detention facility and the other five were released to a parent or guardian. Six of the eight arrested students attend Upper Darby High. The seventh attends Beverly Hills Middle School; the eighth goes to a school in Ridley Township.

"There's thousands of kids that walk to and from that school without a problem, but every once in a while you get these wannabe gangsters, and if they want to be gangsters, we'll treat them like gangsters," Chitwood said.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2..._from_attack_by_kids.html#UGZyv9K3hpdXmf4t.99

Last edited:

1slo5ohh

Established Member
But if they had more rec centers and organized sports kids wouldn't be doing these things....Baltimore news tells me this all the time it MUST be true.

1slo5ohh

Established Member
Also good for that man doing the right thing and coming to the officers aid instead of standing back and watching like 90% of people would have done.

evolve

Established Member
But if they had more rec centers and organized sports kids wouldn't be doing these things....Baltimore news tells me this all the time it MUST be true.

I hear that from B-more too from my neck of the woods (Natl Harbor).

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Props to the citizen who helped an outnumbered officer. Unfortunately the kids will only get a slap on the wrist and that citizen will now be targeted by the ghetto rats

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Fortunately the guy grabbed his gun instead of his cellphone.

Exactly.

Vic, of course you would say that.

Excuse me for being tired of stories being exaggerated to sound worse than what they really are. I'm supposed to believe 40 kids were going to attack a person they know have gun but change their mind when there's 2 people with guns? If I'm not mistaken 40>2.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Excuse me for being tired of stories being exaggerated to sound worse than what they really are. I'm supposed to believe 40 kids were going to attack a person they know have gun but change their mind when there's 2 people with guns? If I'm not mistaken 40>2.

Please tell me you see the difference between a man with a gun, actively being in a physical altercation with 2 people...and a man standing on his front porch with a gun.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

I know why you were skeptical, I was being a smartass. :) :burnout:

Coiled03

Established Member

It might not solve the problem, but it sure couldn't make it any worse.

If you're busy playing sports, or at the rec center, you're not out gang banging. Hard to be in two places at once.

2KBlackGT

Established Member
Please tell me you see the difference between a man with a gun, actively being in a physical altercation with 2 people...and a man standing on his front porch with a gun.

This story says the Officer(whom has a gun) was being closed in on by 40 teens.....then a guy with a gun shows up to save the officer from being attacked. Really?
If these kids are dumb enough to attack someone that they already know has a gun 1 more person with a gun showing up isn't going to persuade them from attacking. That person themselves will become a target as well.

I know why you were skeptical, I was being a smartass. :) :burnout:

Asshole lol

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This story says the Officer(whom has a gun) was being closed in on by 40 teens.....then a guy with a gun shows up to save the officer from being attacked. Really?
If these kids are dumb enough to attack someone that they already know has a gun 1 more person with a gun showing up isn't going to persuade them from attacking. That person themselves will become a target as well.

"As he breaks up the fight, he takes one kid and then the other jumps [on] him. Now he's fighting two of them and he's calling for an assist officer at the same time," Chitwood said. "There's a crowd of 40 or 50 kids watching the fight, and they all move in towards the officer."

The story says that the officer was involved in a physical altercation and was trying to get backup at the same time.

As a group of 40, I'd like my chances jumping in on a fight against one guy who was preoccupied while his weapon was holstered.

2KBlackGT

Established Member
It might not solve the problem, but it sure couldn't make it any worse.

If you're busy playing sports, or at the rec center, you're not out gang banging. Hard to be in two places at once.

This is true. Coming up we had a YMCA in my neighborhood, none of my friends of I ran the streets cause we were at the YMCA playing pool, BBall, and other games most of the day. The YMCA is closed now and has been for sometime now, I've noticed a big difference in what the youth of the community are into now.

2KBlackGT

Established Member
The story says that the officer was involved in a physical altercation and was trying to get backup at the same time.

As a group of 40, I'd like my chances jumping in on a fight against one guy who was preoccupied while his weapon was holstered.

I bet at least 1 of the 40 kids that were about to kill the officer has video of what happened, I mean, record shit, thats what kids do.

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
They know the officer most likely won't use his gun. The neighbor with a gun is an unknown quantity and therefore unpredictable.

Cops should always be in pairs IMO. Everywhere. It keeps one dumb cop in check where he might do something stupid but it also helps them cover each other's backs.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I bet at least 1 of the 40 kids that were about to kill the officer has video of what happened, I mean, record shit, thats what kids do.

That's half the problem. Anymore, people see a camera pointing at them and they turn in to idiots. The dumber they act the more hits on YouTube they get.

Users who are viewing this thread